Appropriateness of poetries and poetries based activities in promoting students’ reading skills in EFL classrooms: focusing on grade 12 English textbook for Ethiopia
- 1Mettu University Bedele College of Agriculture and Forestry, Department of English Language and Literature, Ethiopia
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 21-33, May,14 (2018)
This paper attempts to analyze the appropriateness of the poems and poem based exercises used for teaching reading in EFL classroom. The evaluation basically based on the extent to which the poems suit to the learners' real-life experiences, interest, literature awareness, and English language competency. Employing the techniques of mixed research approach, qualitative and quantitative data were gathered. From the total 304 grade twelve students,76 students and two grade twelve English language teachers were selected through SRS and Purposeful Sampling Technique respectively. Textbook analysis and semi-structured questionnaires are the tools which were used for collecting all the need data. First grade twelve students' English language textbook particularly the poem based teaching reading lessons were analyzed and then distributing semi-structured questionnaires to the participants of the study adequate data were collected. The results obtained from the textbook analysis and the questionnaires indicate that there is mismatch between the teaching of reading via the use of poems and the learners' literature awareness and English language competency.
- Richards J.C. (2001)., The Role of Textbooks in a Language program., https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/265455920 accessed 09/12/17.
- You Jung K. (2009)., Integrating text Driven Approaches and CLT into Storybook Material., Issues in EFL, 7(1), 33-59.
- Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Education (2003)., Grade 12 English language textbook, .
- Mohammad K. and Parisa D. (2013)., The Effect of Reading Poems on Learners' Reading Motivation., Journal of Literature, Culture & Media Studies, 9. https://www.inflibnet.ac.in/ojs/index.php/JLCMS/article/view/2692/2155
- Bagherkazemi M. and Alemi M. (2010)., Literature in the EFL/ESL Classroom": Consensus and Controversy., Linguistic and Literary Broad Research and Innovation, 1(1), 1-12.
- Khatib M. (2011)., A New Approach to teaching English poetry to EFL Students., Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 2(1), 164-169.
- Ramsaran S. (1983)., Poetry in the language classroom., ELT Journal, 37(1), 36-43.
- Rush P. (2006)., Behind the lines: Using poetry in the language classroom., 30, 71-82. Retrieved from http://library.nakanishi.ac.jp/kiyou/gaidai (30)/05.pdf.
- Hedge T. (2001)., Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom., Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hess N. (2003)., Real Language Through Poetry: A Formula fro for Meaning Making., ELT Journal, 57(1), 19-25.
- Tomlinson B. (2003)., Humanizing the course book., B. Tomlinson (Ed.), Developing Materials for Language Teaching, 162-173. New York: Continuum.
- Pulverness A. and Tomlinson B. (2003)., Materials for cultural awareness., Developing materials for language teaching, 426-438.
- Abebe T. (2016)., English Language Textbook in Ethiopia from Teachers' and Students Perspectives: The Case of Grade Twelve students' Textbook., International Journal on Studies in English Language and Literature (IJSELL), 4(8), 91-100.
- Creswell J.W. (2009)., Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches., Third edition. University of Nebraska-Lincoln, SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Paradowski Michal B. (2003)., Foreign Language Textbook Evaluation Chart., https://sciencebin.wordpress .com/article/foreign-language-textbook-evaluation 2qpvzotrrhys1-36/
- Tadesse Bizaga Nucha (2014)., Evaluation of the Speaking Lessons in Grade 10 English Textbook in Relation to its Suitability for Promoting Group work A Thesis Submitted to the College of Social Science and Humanities School of Foreign Language Studies, School of Graduate Studies., Haramaya University.
- Lazar G. (1993)., Literature and Language Teaching: A guide for Teachers and Trainers., Cambridge: Cambridge University press.
- Maley A. and duff A. (1989)., The Inward Ear., Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 18888.
- Hyland K. (2007)., Second Language Writing., Cambridge University Press.
- Ur. P. (1996)., A Course in Language teaching., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Riffaterre M. (1978)., Semiotics of Poetry., Bloomington and London: Indian University Press.
- Bex T. (1994)., How Much Language? How Much Culture?., PALA Occasional Press, 8.
- McKay S. (1982)., Literature in the ESL classroom, TESOL Quarterly, 16(4), 529-536.
- Kellem H. (2009)., The Formeaning Response Approach: Poetry in EFL Classroom., English Teaching Forum, 47(4), 12-17.
- Reena M. (2014)., Teaching English Through Poetry: A powerful Medium for Learning Second Language., IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), 19(5), 21-23. e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845. www.iosrjoutnals.org.
- McKay S. (1987)., Literature in the ESL Classroom., In C. Brumfit and R. Center (Eds.) Literature and Language Teaching, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 191-198.