Stock markets and economic growth of India - a study on impact of market capitalization on GDP
- 1Dept. of Commerce, Bhilai Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Bhilai, CG, India
- 2Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur, CG, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 7, Issue (4), Pages 21-27, April,14 (2018)
The two fold policies of Indian economic system i.e. fiscal and monetary policy has been resulted into the efficient survival of economy of India after the inheritance of almost collapsed economy from the British Regime which was assisted by the NEP (liberalization, privatization and globalization) later on. Stock market is the most promising sector for raising the financial system of the Indian economy. After the phase of liberalization stock market has proven as an effective tool for competing with the economies of foreign countries. After the commencement of the stock market in the year 1875, it has contributed significantly towards strengthening of the economy by proving as an emerging platform for savers and investors. Various indices of the stock market has presented as an effective tool for the purpose of measuring developments of the economic performance. Frequency of financial crisis over India has affected adversely on the financial industry resulting into risks and uncertainties of the stock market. But CAPM, APT, Portfolio diversification acted as effective risk management tools of stock market which has driven NIFTY, SENSEX towards the growth and its rapid and unpredictable changes had astonished the expansion of the Indian economy with the aspects like real estates, equities, bonds and debentures. Gross Domestic Product is an important indicator of growth of an economy which has observed that the recently developing economies (BRIC) countries are getting more powerful than the countries which have a strong economic power traditionally such as economies of US and Germany. It has been predicted that the position of Indian economy will be at the third largest level among the globe after 2035. Stock market with its recent developments is an appreciable aspect of the financial system which is a highly contributing factor for the economic growth. It has become a magnificent job for new researchers to focus towards stock market aspects for the research works. A series of ascertainable studies already exists in this particular field. This research paper is an effort to determine the contribution of stock market developments in the growth of Indian economy. The secondary data sources such as bulletin reports of NSE, BSE, old as well as recent researches studies has been adopted for this paper in order to explore some new horizons of this aspect of the economy.
- Madhvi (2014)., An evaluating study of Indian Stock Marker Scenario with reference to its growth and inception trend attempted by Indian investors with relation to LPG., Galaxy International Interdisciplinary Journal GIIRJ, 2, 112-138
- Pardy R. (1992)., Institutional Reform in Emerging Securities Markets., Policy Research Working Papers (Financial Policy and Systems) No. 907, World Bank, Washington, D.C.1992
- Rousseau P.L. and Wachtel P. (2000)., Equity markets and growth: Cross country evidence ontiming and outcomes., Journal of Banking and Finance, 24(12), 1933-1957.
- Adjasi C. and Biekpe N. (2006)., Stock market development and economic growth: The case of selected African countries., African Development Review, 18(1), 144-161.
- Sahu Chandra Naresh and Dhiman H. Deepinder (2011)., Correlation and causality between Stock Market and Macro Economic Variables in India: An Empirical Study., International Conference on E- Business, Management and Economics, 3.
- Bala A. (2013)., Indian Stock Market-Review of Literature., TRANS Asian Journal of Marketing and Management Research, 2(7), 67-79.
- Levine R. (1997)., Financial development and economic growth: Views and agenda., Journal of Economic Literature, 35(2), 688-726.
- Karim Saba (2017)., Effect of stock market development on economic growth of major South Asian and East Asian economies: A comparative analysis., Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 8, 330-356.
- Masoud N.M. (2013)., The impact of stock market performance upon economic growth., International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 3(4), 788.
- Beck T. and Levine R. (2004)., Stock markets, banks, and growth: Panel evidence., Journal of Banking & Finance, 28(3), 423-442.
- Rajkumar Prabhakar K. and Madhvan G. (2005)., A Review of the impact of Reforms on Economy and Stock Markets in India., Acme Intellects of Social Journal of research in Management, Social science and Technology ISSN2320-2939, 9(9), 1-12.
- Managing economy with financial market (2018) (http://www.capitaline.com) accessed on 2 december 2017, undefined, undefined
- India GDP growth rate (2017) (https://www.india.gov.in. mospi.ni.in) accessed on 05 Jan 2018, undefined, undefined
- GDP estimates Indian Economy (2018) (https://www. statistica.com) accessed on 06 Jan 2018, undefined, undefined
- Srinivasan P. and Prakasam K. (2014)., Stock Market Development and Economic Growth in India: An Empirical Analysis., MPRA Paper, 21.
- Stock market capitalization ratios of India (2017) (https://www.bloomberg.com) accessed on 28 Dec 2017, undefined, undefined
- India market cap ratios last 20 years (2017) (https://www.india.gov.in.mospi.ni.in) accessed on 05 Jan 2018, undefined, undefined
- Abubakar A.B. (2016)., Economic Growth Impact of Indian Stock Market: An Econometric Investigation., pacific business review international, 8(12), 128-134.
- Indian economic indicators (2017) (http://thehindu.com/ business/economy/economic growth) accessed on 16 November 2017, undefined, undefined