Youth Policies, Participation and Community Engagements
- 1Department of Development Studies, North-West University (Mafikeng Campus), Private Bag X2046, Mmabatho 2735, South Africa
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 1-8, March,14 (2018)
The United Nations (UN) has characterised the youth as embodying the hope for the future and the aspiration of all societies. As such, the youth are encouraged to participate in municipal development programmes, activities and elections. This can be done amongst others through local youth councils. The youth council is an organisation of the youth with the aim to promote and protect the interest of the youth. They also represent the youth in governance of municipality. In South Africa, Department of Social Development White Paper for Social Welfare defines youth as all those between the ages of 16 and 30 years of age. The Correctional Services also refers to the youth as all those in the age range 14 to 25 years of age. The National Health Policy Guidelines focus on the adolescent and the youth as all those between 10 and 24 years of age. The African Youth Charter also defines youth as those between the ages of 15 years and 35 years and excludes the 14 year olds. The paper reviews the factors that hinder/promote youth participation in rural community activities, elections and projects in the Mafikeng Local Municipality (MLM). It also examine the role of the LYC in involving the youth in community activities in MLM. The study used open-ended questionnaires and interviews in gathering data. This method enabled the respondents to respond beyond the borders of the questionnaires.
- Nicolas A. (2005)., Children, Youth and Development Perspectives on Development., Routledge Perspectives on Development. London: Routledge Press.
- Valentine G. (1998)., Cool Places: Geography of youth cultures., London: Routledge Press.
- Griffin C. (2001)., Imagining new narratives of youth: youth research, thenew Europe, Childhood, 8(2), 147-166.
- Margret M. (1966)., A Cultural Anthropologists: Approach to Maternal Deprivation., Deprivation of Maternal Care. A re-assessment of its effects. New York Schockenpp.
- Wulff H. and Amit-Talai V. (1995)., Youth, Cultures: A cross-cultural perspective., London: Routledge Press.
- Bloom D., Canning D. and Sevilla J. (2002)., The Demographic Dividend: A New Perspective on the Economic Consequences of Population Change., Santa Monica, CA: RAND.
- Budlender D. (2006)., Gender responsive budgeting and womens reproductive rights: a resource pack., New York: UNIFEM.
- White Paper (1997)., White Paper on Social Welfare 1997., Pretoria: Department Social Development.
- Department of Correctional Service (2003)., White paper on youth. Pretoria., Department of correctional Services.
- Union African (2006)., The African Youth Charter., HSRC Review, 4(3). Addis Ababa ANC. 1994. The Reconstruction and Development Programme. African Studies Centre. South Africa.
- Cornwall G. (2010)., Youth Participation in Local (Community) Level Development: a Development Strategy., Paper for Presentation at the 11th Annual SALISES Conference at St. Augustine Trinidad.
- IDEA (2009)., Towards a Global Framework for Management and Mitigation of Election-related Conflict and Violence., Johannesburg: IDEA.
- ANC (1991)., Constitutional Principles and Structures for a Democratic South Africa., Unpublished Address of Nelson Mandela at his investiture as Doctor of Laws. Taiwan: Soochow University.
- Girvan D.T.M. and Girvan N. (1993)., Working together for development: DTM Girvan on cooperatives and community development, 1939-1968., Institute of Jamaica Publications Ltd.
- Poole D.L. (1997)., Building community capacity to promote social and public health: challenges for universities., Health and Social Work, 22(3), 163-170.
- Resnick M.D. (2000)., Protective factors, resiliency, and healthy youth development., Adolescent medicine: State of the art reviews, 11(1), 157-164.
- Fletcher A. (2006)., Washington youth voice handbook., Olympia, WA: Common Action.
- Young W. (2006)., Making Space, Making Change., Oakland: Movement Strategy Centre.
- Ojo J. (2011)., Nigerian youths and 2011 elections., Abuja: Nigeria.
- Coetzee J.K., Graaf J., Hendricks F. and Wood G. (2001)., Development: Theory., Policy and Practice, Cape Town, Oxford University Press.
- Hall B., Gilleit A. and Tandon R. (1982)., Creating knowledge: A monopoly?., New Delhi: Society for Participatory Research.
- Levin R. and Weiner D. (1997)., \"No More Tears--\": Struggles for Land in Mpumalanga, South Africa., Africa World Press.
- Ayco T.R. (2008)., Youth Participation in Local Governance., http://knol.google.com/k/ramon-ayco/youth-participation-in-localgovernance/12kkr4vlogdhw/10 (Accessed on 03-03-2013)
- Imrie R. and Raco M. (2003)., Community and the changing nature of urban policy., Urban renaissance, 3-36.
- Tisdall E.K.M. and Davis J. (2004)., Making a difference? Bringing children, Children & Society, 18(2), 131-142.
- Mbeki T. (2007)., The Presidency Address., On the 16th June Youth Day Celebrations. Johannesburg.
- Michaelson M. and Nakamura J. (2001)., Supportive Frameworks for Youth Engagement., New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development. New Youth: Jossey-Bass Press.
- Checkoway B.N. and Gutierrez L.M. (2006)., Youth participation and community change: An introduction., Journal of community practice, 14(1-2), 1-9.
- Stiglitz J.E. (2000)., Economics of the Public Sector., New York: W.W. Norton.
- Republic of South Africa (2000)., National Youth Policy (NYC) 2000., Cape Town: Department of Youth Commission.
- Republic of South Africa (2002)., National youth development policy framework: towards integrated national youth development initiatives and programmes., Cape Town: Department of youth commission.
- Republic of South Africa (2008)., National Youth Policy (NYP), 2008-2013., Cape Town: Department of Youth Commission.
- Republic of South Africa (2009)., National Youth Economic Empowerment Strategy and Implementation Framework (NYEES)., Cape Town: Department of Youth Commission.
- Adar K.G., Hamdok A. and Rukambe J. (2008)., Electoral process and the prospects for democracy consolidation: Contextualising the African multiparty elections of 2004 (No. 2-2008)., African Books Collective.
- Mohammed I.A. and Wheeler W. (2001)., Broadening the Bounds of Youth Development: Youth as Engaged Citizens., Takoma Park. MD: Innovation Centre for Community and Youth Development.
- Clary E.G. and Rhodes J.E. (2006)., Mobilizing adults for positive youth development: Strategies for closing the gap between beliefs and behaviors., Springer Science & Business Media, 4.
- Miga N.L. (2011)., Keynote Address by the Mahikeng Local Municipality Executive Mayor during the Mahikeng Mayoral Inauguration Ceremony., on 17th June, 2011 at Mmabatho Civic Centre. Mafikeng: MLM.