Success of MGNREGA: delusion or reality – study of Tonk District, Rajasthan, India
- 1Department of Economics, Banasthali University, Rajasthan, India
- 2Department of Economics, Banasthali University, Rajasthan, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 6, Issue (4), Pages 18-26, April,14 (2017)
Rural poverty and its eradication has always been a critical issue in our Nation. Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme is a UPA flagship programme ensures job guarantee of 150 days in a financial year to adult member of rural family who volunteer to do unskillful manual work. The aim of this study is to access the achievements of MGNREGA in Tonk District of Rajasthan. Rajasthan is one among the Indian states where the performance of social welfare scheme MGNREGA is found pleasing, therefore Tonk districts of Rajasthan is been selected as a research area for the study. Prominence is also been made on trend of employment under the scheme, contribution ratio among male, females and minority classes. Result of the study is grounded on the data gathered for five years that is from financial year 2011-12 to 2015-16. The study is based purely on secondary data. The main findings of the study are maximum workers in the scheme are from the peer group of 30-40 years. The participation ratio in person day’s generation is highest among Scheduled Castes as compared to Scheduled Tribes.
- wikipedia (2017)., Poverty alleviation Programmes in India., Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ poverty_alleviation_programme_in_India. (Accessed 3 March 2017).
- Ministry of Rural Development (2017)., Annual Report (2009-10)., Government of India, New Delhi, X-XI.
- The Gazette of India (2005)., The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act., 2005 No. 42 of 2005. New Delhi, New Delhi: Government of India.
- Roy S.D. and Samanta D. (2009)., Good Governance and Employment Generation through NREGA: A Case study of Gram Panchayat in West Bengal., Infrastructure, Finance and Governance: Push for Growth, 1-16.
- Ahuja R.U., Tyagi D., Chauhan S. and Chaudhary R.K. (2011)., Impact of MGNREGA on Rural Employment and Migration: A Study in Agriculturally backward and Agriculturally Advanced Districts of Haryana., Agricultural Economic Research Review, 24, 495-502
- Sarkar P., Kumar J. and Supriya (2011)., Impact of MGNREGA on Reducing Rural Poverty and improving socio-economic status of rural poor: A study in Burdwan District of West Bengal., Agricultural Economic Research Review, 24, 437-448.
- Nayak M.L., Barla K.P. and Panda B. (2012)., People’s lives before and after implementation of MGNREGA- a case of tribal Rajasthan., International Journal of Rural Studies (IJRS), 19(2), 1-7.
- Thomas B. and Bhatia R. (2012)., Impact of NREGA Scheme: A Case study on overall quality of life of its Beneficiaries (A study undertaken among beneficiaries of 3 districts of Gujarat state)., Asia-Pacific Journal of Social Sciences, 4(2), 213-227.
- Didde R.S. and Muthaiyan P. (2013)., Employment Generation under MGNREGA in Tribal Andhra Pradesh Testimony of five years., IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (IOSR-JHSS), 9(4), 55-64.
- Mahatma Gandhi NREGA (2014)., Enhancing sustainable livelihood of the poor through convergence of Mahatma Gandhi NREGA with various scheme., Ministry of Rural Development, 34-37.
- R.H.D.I.R. (2010)., Rajasthan Human Development Index Report., Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Rajasthan
- Census of India (2011)., District Census Handbook Tonk village and Town-wise Primary Census Abstract (PCA)., Directorate of census operations, Rajasthan Series-09(XII-B), 12.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (2009)., A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Program (PDF)., National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved on September 27, 2011.
- MGNREGA Public Data Portal (2011-2015) Retrieved from: mnregaweb4.nic.in/netnrega/dynamic2/ dynamicreport_new4.aspx (accessed 20 October 2016)., undefined, undefined