Popular social media platforms for accessing political news
- 1Madras Christian College, University of Madras, Madras, India
- 2Madras Christian College, University of Madras, Madras, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 11-14, March,14 (2017)
Social media is unique as it is used by all the stakeholders in the society; the political class, the people and also the media itself. Both electronic and print media employ social media applications for varied purposes. The electronic media has developed a relationship with this source due to the trending ‘hashtag’ phenomena. And the print media also uses it to upload its print publications online. As there are multitude of media sources available to access political news and information, this study was done to find the reasons for adopting social media by the general population. Each of the social media platforms differ from each other significantly in all respects and so will be its utilization. So it is imperative to find the application which is most favored by the audience. Responses were secured from Indian citizens across the world who are active social media users and access it for political news and information also. And the results were tabulated from the 510 completed questionnaires. The questions were close ended and the sampling was simple random with snowball.
- Press Trust of India (2014)., Social Media Changes the Face of Indian Elections., The Indian Express. http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/social-media-changes-face-of-indian-general-elections/
- Kaplan Andreas and Haenlein Michael (2012)., Social Media Back to the Roots and Back to the Future., Journal of Systems and Information Technology, 14(2), 101-104.
- Press Trust of India (2015)., Twitter accounts for only 17% of Indian Social Network Users., The Hindu, http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/internet/twitter-accounts-for-only-17-of-indian-social-network-users/article6830300.ece
- Vamsi Krishna (2016)., 50 Million Yearly Till 2020., IndianExpress.http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/internet-users-in-india-to-grow-by-50-million-yearly-till-2020-report
- Mori I. (2015)., A Third of Young People Think Social Media Will Influence Their Vote., https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3539/A-third- of-young-people-think-social-media-will-influence-their-vote.aspx
- Duggan Maeve and Smith Aaron (2016)., The Political Environment of Social Media., Pew Research Centre. http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/10/25/the-political-environment-on-social-media/
- Anderson Monica (2015)., More Americans Are Using Social Media to Connect With Politicians., Pew Research Centre. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/05/19/ more-americans-are-using-social-media-to-connect-with-politicians/