Insights and Understanding of Internet using among PG Students: A Study in the Department of Economics, Gulbarga University Kalabuargi, India
- 1Dept of Library and Information Science Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi Karnataka, India
- 2Dept of Library and Information Science Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi Karnataka, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 5, Issue (12), Pages 1-5, December,14 (2016)
Understanding the use of internet among post graduation and research scholars in the Department of Economics department Gulbarga University Karnataka. The major objectives of the study are to study the use of internet among backward region university students particularly in university library and to seek the information about competence in computer and use of internet. The present study is purely based on primary sources of data, for this purpose, research made interview schedule and distributed to randomly all PG students and selected Research scholars in department of economics Gulbarga University Karnataka. Total 250 questionnaires were distributed out of which 200 duly filled and returned. The questionnaire was framed in a simple manner to obtaining information from students to bring out the insights and understanding of the use of internet, which switched into computer literacy. Majority of the students are females, there is less knowledge about computer literacy with students in the Department of economics and universities. There should be promoted computer literacy use among PG and research scholar. This study will be very useful to society particularly to information society because majority of the rural background studentsí computer literacy was very low, for those types of students, the university understands to promote use of internet facilities in especially for lack of internet knowledge and economically backward students in Indian Universities to enable access of internet to the students to support the learning and research activities.
- Okon E.A. (2010)., Internet access and use., The Electronic Library, 28(4), 555-567.
- Mitra A. and Steffensmeier T. (2000)., Changes in student attitudes and student computer use in a computer enriched environment., Journal of Research on Computing in Education. 32, 417-433.
- Liu X., Macmillan R. and Timmons V. (1998)., Integration Of Computers Into The Curriculum: How Teachers May Hinder Students, McGill Journal of Education., 33(1), 51-69.
- Al-Ansari H. (2006)., Internet use by the faculty members of kuwait university., The Electronic Library., 24 (6), 791-803.
- Ali N. (2005)., The use of electronic resources at IIT Delhi Library: a study of search behaviours., The Electronic Library., 23(6), 691-700.
- Internet World Statistic (2015)., Data set includes ITU (Internet Telecommunication Union), Computer Industry Almanac., IAMAI (Internet and Mobile Association of India), IWS (Internet World Statistics).
- Debashis Pati (2002)., Marketing Research., Universities Press (India) Pvt. Ltd. Hyderabad. 561
- Adika G. (2003)., Internet use among faculty members of universities in Ghana., Library Review., 52(1), 29-37.
- Adomi E.E., Omodeko F.S. and Otolo P.U. (2004)., The use of cyber cafe at Delta State University, Nigeria., Library Hi Tech., 22 (4), 38-85.
- Applebee A.C., Clayton P. and Pascoe C. (1997)., Australian academic use of the Internet., Internet Research., 7(2), 85-94
- Luambano I. and Nawe J. (2004)., Internet use by students of the university of Dares Salaam., Library Hi-Tech News., 10, 13-17.
- Ruzgar N.S. (2005)., A research on the purpose of Internet usage and learning via Internet., The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology., 4(4), 27-32.
- Pretika Khanna (2014)., Student Online Behaviour Report by HT Digital and IMRB., Dec 01 2014. 09 33 PM IST. http://www.livemint.com/Politics/PSq0aCdEQTkbFa3LwghGSM/93-students-in-India-access-Internet-everyday.html
- Statista Inc. (2014)., Statistics and facts on internet usage in India. New York, USA., https://www.statista.com/topics /2157/internet-usage-in-india
- McKenzie J. (1995)., Direct connect: before net and after net., Multi Media Schools, 2(3), 6-8.
- Souza Y.K.D. (1999)., Electronic Media and the Internet., Dominant Publishers and Distributers, Delhi.
- Short E. and Sproesser G. (1993)., Online catalogue researching: a thematic unit, School Executive., 29(5), 50.
- Yumba D. (1997)., Internet in the library: potentials., African Journal of Library and Archives and Information Science., 7(2), 163-68.
- Dhamija N. and Panda S.K. (2007)., Attitude of P.G. Students towards internet., Edutracks., 6(5).
- Berson M.J. (1996)., Effectiveness of computer technology in the social studies: A review of the literature., Journal of Research on Computing in Education., 2 (4), 486-499.