E-Pharmacies: An emerging market in Indian retail pharmacy, An Indian perspective
- 1Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dayananda Sagar University, Bengaluru, India
- 2Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dayananda Sagar University, Bengaluru, India
- 3Faculty of Management and Commerce, M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bengaluru, India
- 4Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dayananda Sagar University, Bengaluru, India
Res. J. of Pharmaceutical Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 1-6, June,30 (2020)
A steep increase in the netizen population in India has regarded revolutionary changes in the field of retail pharmacy in last few decades. The change in prescribing methods have been seen. The diversification in the strategies of pharmaceutical retail marketing have been observed which in turn has resulted in enhancement and speeding up the reach of drugs to the patients in time. It is been inferred that the acquittance with the Internet is most with age groups of students and younger patients who would more likely than others to buy medications through online pharmacies. An online survey was been done using google forms regarding the use of e-pharmacies and it was found highly recommended by the age group of 18-35. In this article we have made an effort to create awareness of using e-pharmacies, its pros and cons and the precautions to be taken while using e-pharmacies by the public.
- Baker, L., Wagner, T.H., Singer, S. and Bundorf, M.K., (2003)., Use of the Internet and e-mail for health care information: results from a national survey., JAMA., 289(18), 2400-2406.
- Gallagher, J.C. and Colaizzi, J.L. (2000)., Issues in Internet pharmacy practice., Ann. Pharmacother., 34(12), 1483-1485.
- Bessell T.L., Anderson J.N., Silagy C.A., et al., (2002)., Surfing, self-medicating and safety: buying non-prescription and complementary medicines via the internet., Qual Saf Health Care, 11, 88-92.
- World Health Organisation (2000)., WHO medicines strategy: framework for action in essential drugs and medicines policy 2000-2003., WHO, Geneva
- Mintzes B, Barer ML, Kravitz RL, Kaazanjian A, et al. (2002)., Influence if direct to consumer pharmaceutical advertising and patient's requests on prescribing decisions: two site cross sectional survey., BMJ 324:278-279.
- T.T. Moniz, A.C. Seger, C.A. Keohane, D.L. Seger, D.W. Bates and J.M. Rothschild (2011)., Addition of electronic prescription transmission to computerized prescriber order entry: effect on dispensing errors in community pharmacies., Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm., 68(2), 158-163.
- E.L. Abramson, V. Patel, S. Malhotra, E.R. Pfoh, S. Nena Osorio, et al., (2012)., Physician experiences transitioning between an older versus newer electronic health record for electronic prescribing., Int. J. Med. Inform., 81(8), 539-548.
- D.M. Ashcroft, P. Quinlan and A. Blenkinsopp (2005)., Prospective study of the incidence, nature and causes of dispensing errors in community pharmacies., Pharmacoepidemiol. Drug Saf., 14(5), 327-332.
- Salter SM, Karia A, Sanfilippo FM and Clifford RM. (2014)., Effectiveness of e-learning in pharmacy education., Am J Pharm Educ., 78(4) https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe78483.
- Accreditation standards and key elements for the professional program in pharmacy leading to the Doctor of Pharmacy degree (2016)., Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education., https://www.acpe-accredit.org/pdf/ Standards2016FINAL.pdf. Published February 2015. Accessed 30 March 2020.
- Rotellar C. and Cain J. (2016)., Research, perspectives, and recommendations on implementing the flipped classroom., Am J Pharm Educ., 80(2). https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe 80234.
- Oliver A.J. (2000)., Internet Pharmacies: Regulation of growing industry., J Law, Med Ethics., 28(1), 98-101.
- Brushwood D.B. (2001)., Responsive regulation of Internet pharmacy practice., Ann Health Law, 10, 75-103.
- Yogesh Kolekar (2020)., Electronic Signature Legal and Technical aspect., http://www.legalservicesindia.com/ article/1827/Electronic-Signature:-Legal-and-Technical-aspect.html. Accessed on 04/04/2020.
- World Health Organization (2006)., International Medical Products Anti-Counterfeiting Taskforce (IMPACT)., http://www.who.int/medicines/services/counterfeit/faqs/ count_q-a/en/.
- FDA (2020)., Drug Supply Chain Integrity., https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-supply-chain-integrity/ internet-pharmacy-warning-letters. Accessed on 04/04/2020.
- Law Blog (2020)., Legal status of online-pharmacies in India., https://thelawblog.in/2016/11/07/legal-status-of-online-pharmacies-in-india/. Accessed on 04/04/2020.
- Priyanka V.P. (2016)., E-pharmacies regulation in India: Bringing new Dimensions to pharma sector., Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs, 5(2), 15-21.
- Zeman SE. (2001),, Regulation of online pharmacies: A case for cooperative federalism., Ann Health Law., 20(10), 105.
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Department of Justice (2009)., Implementation of the Ryan Haight Online Pharmacy Consumer Protection Act of 2008. Interim final rule with request for comments., Fed Regist., 74(64), 15595-625.