Organizational justice and employee supra-role behaviour- an analytical study
- 1Faculty of Commerce and Management, Jagan Nath University, Haryana, NCR, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 1-8, September,6 (2020)
The study investigated the association between the employee perception of Organizational Justice (OJ), its four dimensions and the Organizational Citizenship Behaviour (OCB). Some 400 managerial employees of the public and private sector entities of Delhi NCR region selected by convenience sampling, participated in it. The impact of OJ on OCB was analysed and it indicated positive correlation between them. The result was consistent with previous research studies. The respondents, however, in both sectors rated employee behaviour as highly positive which implied that their responses were highly discreet.
- Organ, D.W. (1988)., Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: The Good Soldier Syndrome., Lexington: Lexington Books.
- Barnard, C.I. (1938)., The Functions of the Executive., Harvard University Press.
- Katz, D. (1964)., The Motivational Basis of Organizational Behaviour., Behavioural Science, 9(2), 131-146.
- Katz, O. and Kahn, R.L. (1966)., The Social Psychology of Organizations., New York, Wiley and Sons.
- Organ, D.W. (1977)., A Reappraisal and Reinterpretation of the Satisfaction-causes-Performance Hypothesis., Academy of Management Review, 2, 46-53.
- Bateman, T. S. and Organ, D.W. (1983)., Job Satisfaction and the Good Soldier: The Relationship between Affect and Employee Citizenship., Academy of Management Journal, 26(4), 587-595.
- Smith, C., Organ, D. W. and Near, J. P. (1983)., Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: Its Nature and Antecedents., Journal of Applied Psychology, 68(4), 653-663.
- Jafari, P., & Bidarian, S. (2012)., The relationship between organizational justice and organizational citizenship behavior., Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 47, 1815-1820.
- Cole, M.S., Bernerth, J.B., Walter, F., and Holt, D.T. (2010)., Organizational Justice and Individuals, Journal of Management Studies, 47(3), 367-390.
- Tziner, A., and Sharoni, G. (2014)., Organizational Citizenship Behaviour, Organizational Justice, Job Stress, and Work-Family Conflict: Examination of their Interrelationships with Respondents from a Non-Western Culture., Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 30, 35-42.
- Moorman, R. H. (1991)., Relationship between Organizational Justice and Organizational Citizenship Behaviours: Do Fairness Perceptions Influence Employee Citizenship?, Journal of Applied Psychology, 76(6), 845-855.
- Lambert, Eric G., Hogan, Nancy L. and Griffin, Marie L. (2008)., Being the good soldier: Organizational Citizenship Behaviour and Commitment among Correctional Staff., Criminal Justice and Behaviour, 35(1), 56-68.
- Organ, D.W. (1990)., The Subtle Signiﬁcance of Job Satisfaction., Clinical Laboratory Management Review, 94-98.
- Swank, J.W., Ohrt, J.H. and Robinson, E.H.M. (2013)., A Qualitative Exploration of Counselling Students, The Journal of Humanistic Counselling, 23-38.
- Roberts, B. W., Jackson, J. J., Fayard, J. V., Edmonds, G., and Meints, J. (2009)., Conscientiousness., In M. Leary and R. Hoyle (Eds.), Handbook of Individual Differences in Social Behaviour. New York, Guilford Press. pp. 369 -381.
- Deluga, R. J. (1998)., Leader-Member Exchange Quality and Effectiveness Ratings: The Role of Subordinate-Supervisor Conscientiousness Similarity., Group and Organization Management, 23(2), 189-216.
- Greenberg, J. (1987)., A Taxonomy of Organizational Justice Theories., Academy of Management Review, 12(1), 9-22.
- Fortin, M. (2008)., Perspectives on Organizational Justice: Concept Clarification, Social Context Integration, Time and Links with Morality., International Journal of Management Reviews, 2, 93-126.
- Robbins, S.P., and Judge, T.A. (2012)., Organizational Behaviour., Person Education Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- Colquitt, J.A., Scott, B.A., Judge, T.A., and Shaw, J.C. (2006)., Justice and Personality: Using Integrative Theories to Derive Moderators of Justice Effects., Organizational Behaviour and Human Decision Processes, 110-127.
- Cropanzano, R. (1997)., Progress in Organizational Justice: Tunneling Through the Maze., In C. and. C. L. (Ed.), International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. New York,: John Wiley and Sons.
- Colquitt, J.A., Greenberg J., and Zapata-Phelan, C.P. (2005)., What is Organizational Justice? A Historical Overview., In J. G. Colquitt (Ed.), Handbook of Organizational Justice. Handbook of Organizational Justice, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, USA, USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Leventhal, G. S. (1976)., Fairness in Social Relationships., General Learning Press. Morristown, NJ.
- Deutsch, M. (1975)., Equity, Equality, and Need: What Determines which Value will be used as the Basis of Distributive Justice?, Journal of Social Issues, 31, 137- 150.
- Leventhal, G. S., Karuza, J., and Fry, W. R. (1980)., Beyond fairness: A Theory of Allocation Preferences., In G. Mikula (Ed.), Justice and Social Interaction, Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 167-218.
- Colquitt, J.A., Conlon, D.E., Wesson, M.J., Porter, C.O.L.H., and Ng, K.Y. (2001)., Justice at the Millennium: A Meta-Analytic Review of 25 years of Organizational Justice Research., Journal of Applied Psychology, 86(3), 425-445.
- Bies, R. J. and Moag, J. (1986), Interactional Justice: Communication Criteria of Fairness., In Lewicki, R., Sheppard, B. and Bazerman, M. (Eds.) Research on Negotiation in Organizations. Greenwich, JAI Press.
- Greenberg, J. (1993)., The Social Side of Fairness: Interpersonal and Informational Classes of Organizational Justice., In R. Cropanzano (Ed.), Justice in the Workplace: Approaching Fairness in Human Resources Management, 17, 79- 103. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Colquitt, J. A. (2001)., On the Dimensionality of Organizational Justice: A Construct Validation of a Measure., Journal of Applied Psychology, 386-400.
- Dimitriades, Z. S. (2007)., The Influence of Service Climate and Job Involvement on Customer-Oriented Organizational Citizenship Behaviour in Greek Service Organizations: A Survey., Employee Relations, 29, 469-491.
- Williams, S., Pitre, R. and Zainuba, M. (2002)., Justice and Organizational Citizenship Behaviour Intentions: Fair Rewards vrs. Fair Teatment., The Journal of Social Psychology, 142(1), 33-44.
- Aquino, K. (1995)., Relationships among Pay Inequity, Perception of Procedural Justice and Organizational Citizenship., Employees Responsibilities and Rights Journal, 8(1), 21-31.
- Bowen, D.E., Gilliland, S.W., and Folger, R. (1999)., HRM and Service Fairness- How Being Fair with Employees spills over to Customers., Organizational Dynamics, 27(3), 7-23.
- Cohen-Charash, Y., and Spector, P.E. (2001)., The Role of Justice in Organizations: A Meta-Analysis., Organizational Behaviour and Human Decision Processes, 86(2), 278-321.
- Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., Kraimer, M.L., and Sparrowe, R.T. (2003)., A Dual Commitment of Contingent Workers: An examination of contingents commitment to the Agency and the Organization., Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 24(5), 609-625.
- Chegini, M.G. (2009)., The Relationship between Organizational Justice and Organizational Citizenship Behaviour., Americal Journal of Economics and Business Aministration, 1(2), 173-176.
- Nadiri, H. and Tanova, C. (2010)., An Investigation of the Role of Justice in Turnover Intentions, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Citizenship Behaviour in Hospitality Industry., International Journal of Hospitality Management, 29, 33-41.
- Walumbwa, Fred., Hartnell, Chad., and Oke, Adegoke. (2010)., Servant Leadership, Procedural Justice Climate, Service Climate, Employee Attitudes, and Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: A Cross-level Investigation., The Journal of applied psychology, 95(3), 517-29.
- Spector, Paul E., and Che. X.X.(2014)., Re-examining Citizenship: How the Control of Measurement Artifacts Affects Observed Relationships of Organizational Citizenship Behaviour and Organizational Variables., Human Performance, 27(2), 165-182.
- Wu, S.Q., and Xiao, J. (2014)., Organizational Justice as Mediator of the Discretionary Human Resource Practice-Organizational Citizenship Behaviour Relationship: Evidence from Enterprises in China., Journal of Human Resource and Sustainability Studies, 2, 173-181.
- Lee, U.H., and Kim, H.K. (2015)., Antecedents of Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: The Mediating Role of Leader-member Exchange., Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(1), 151-162.
- Awang, R. and Ahmad, W.M.R.W. (2015)., The Impact of Organizational Justice on Organizational Citizenship Behaviour in Malaysian Higher Education., Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 6(5).
- Ali, N. (2016)., Effect of Organizational Justice on Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: A Study of Health Sector of Pakistan., Review of Public Administration and Management, 4(3).
- Ali, S.Z., Manzoor, H., Rashid, M., and Ahmad, W. (2016)., Impact of Organizational Justice on Organizational Citizenship Behaviour: A Case Study of PTCL, Pakistan., City University Research Journal, 7(1), 134-150.
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Moorman, R. H., and Fetter, R. (1990)., Transformational Leader Behaviours and their Effects on Followers Trust, Leader Satisfaction and Organizational Citizenship Behaviours., Leadership Quarterly.
- Cochran, W. G. (1963)., Sampling Techniques., 2nd Ed., New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Krejcie, Robert V., and Morgan, Daryle W. (1970)., Determining Sample Size for Research Activities., Educational and Psychological Measurement, 30(3), 607-610.