A comparative statistical approach on non-performing assets (NPAs) among PNB and ICICI bank operating 2011-2018
- 1Department of Management, Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (SRK) University, NH-12, Hoshangabad Road, Bhopal, India
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 8, Issue (2), Pages 16-27, May,6 (2019)
The banking sector phasing Non- Performing Assets (NPA) as a major problem in India. The rising of NPAs has become foremost concerns for the banking sector in India. The current paper is an effort to undertake an inter-bank comparison of non-performing assets (NPA) of Punjab national bank (PNB) and ICICI bank, during the operating period 2011-2018.The data has been collected for seven years ranging from 2011-12 to 2017-18, from annual reports of the respective bank's website. The outcomes of the study disclose that PNB banks have significantly higher The Gross NPAS / The Gross advances ratio, The Gross NPAs/ The Total assets ratio, The Net NPAs / The Net advances ratio, The Net NPAs/The Total assets ratio and The Total provision ratio as compared to ICICI banks. Though the shareholder's risk ratio is significant lowers in ICICI bank when compared to PNB bank. Correlation analysis indicated that there is a significant negative correlation between The Gross NPA and The Net Profit, significant positive correlation between The Net NPA and The Net Profit in PNB bank. However, in ICICI bank, there is a negative correlation between the Gross NPA and The Net Profit and The Net NPA and The Net Profit but then it is not significant. In sector-wise NPAs, The agriculture sector, as well as the personal loans sector, was significant lowers in ICICI bank when compared to PNB bank. Though the industry sector and the services sector is comparable among PNB bank and ICICI bank. The outstanding amount is lower in ICICI bank as compared to PNB bank; this is a very positive sign for ICICI bank. The amount of NPAs in ICICI bank is lessen then PNB bank, because of their effective NPA management. The amount of NPA is reasonably lower in ICICI bank when compare with PNB bank. To bring improvement in the efficacy and productivity of PNB banks, the NPA is essential to be controlled and supervised.
- Chaudhary K. and Sharma M. (2011)., Performance of Indian public sector banks and private sector banks: A comparative study., International journal of innovation, management, and technology, 2(3), 249-256.
- Kaur K. and Singh B. (2011)., Non-performing assets of public and private sector banks (a comparative study)., South Asian Journal of Marketing & Management Research, 1(3), 54-72.
- Singh V.R. (2016)., A Study of Non-Performing Assets of Commercial Banks and it's recovery in India., Annual Research Journal of Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies, 4, 110-125.
- Rani N. and Gaba D. (2014)., Analysis of Non-Performing Assets of Public sector Banks., Global Journal for Research Analysis, 3(9), 1-5.
- Mishra U.M. and Pawaskar J.R. (2017)., A Study of Non-Performing Assets and its Impact on the Banking Sector., Journal for Research, 3(01), 1-5.
- Samir D. and Kamra D. (2013)., A Comparative Analysis of Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) of Selected Commercial Banks in India., Opinion: International Journal of Management, 3(1), 68-80.
- Narula S. and Singla M. (2014)., An empirical study on non-performing assets of a bank., International journal of advanced research in computer science and management studies, 2(1), 194-198.
- Prasad G. and Veena D. (2011)., NPAS in Indian banking sector-trends and issues., Journal of Banking Financial Services and Insurance Research, 1(9), 67-84.
- Parmar R. (2014)., Non Performing Assets (NPAs): A Comparative Analysis of SBI and ICICI Bank., International Journal for Management and Pharmacy, 3(3), 68-72.
- Sukul B. (2017)., Non Performing Assets (NPA)-A comparative study of selected private sector banks., International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention, 6(1), 47-53.
- Jha P. (2018)., Analysis of Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) Among SBI Bank and ICICI Bank for Operating 2011-2018., Asian Journal of Research in Banking and Finance, 9(1), 1-13.
- Jha P. and Bhargav M. (2018)., Assessing the financial status of SBI and ICICI bank operative 2011-2018., Apeejay-Journal of Management Sciences and Technology, 6(2), 1-12.
- Jha P. (2018)., Analyzing Financial Performance (2011-2018) of Public Sector Banks (PNB) and Private Sector Banks (ICICI) in India., ICTACT Journal on Management Studies, 4(3), 793-799.
- Roy S.G. (2014)., Determinants of non-performing assets in India-Panel Regression., Eurasian Journal of Economics and Finance, 2(3), 69-78.
- Vikram S.K. and Gayathri G. (2018)., A Study on non-performing assets in indian banking sector., International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 118(20), 4537-4541.
- Balasubramaniam C. (2012)., Non-performing assets and profitability of commercial banks in India: assessment and emerging issues., National Monthly Refereed Journal of Research In Commerce and Management, 1(7), 41-52.
- Yadav S. (2014)., NPAs: Rising Trends and Preventive Measures in Indian Banking Sectors., International journal of advance research in computer science and management studies, 2(1), 129-141.
- Karunakar M., Vasuki K. and Saravanan S. (2008)., Are non-performing assets gloomy or greedy from Indian perspective., Research Journal of Social Sciences, 3, 4-12.