Enterprise risk management and firm performance evidence from financial market of Iran
- 1Dept. of Accounting, Mashhad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Mashhad, Iran
- 2Dept. of Accounting, Mashhad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Mashhad, Iran
Res. J. Management Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 6-12, March,6 (2017)
The purpose of present research is examine the effect of enterprise risk management (ERM) approaches on firms’ performance by investigating financial asset and market variables and its effect on ERM. Using a sample of 66 firms which report establish Risk Assessment Unit (RAU) or administrative units with same functions as an administrative division. Research results shows that firms adopting ERM have meaningful decrease in their stock price fluctuations and unpredictability. Firms establishing Risk Assessment Unit (RAU) compared to similar and non-RAU firms in their industry group, have considerable improvement in dispel their asset opacity, decreased market to book ratio and decreased earnings volatility. In addition, we find that there is a meaningful negative relationship between the change in firms’ market to book ratio and earnings fluctuations. Our finding confirm that banks and financial institutions increase leverage after ERM implementation. Finally, we find no meaningful evidence to support that ERM can have an important role in value creating.
- Marsh and McLennan Companies (2005)., A Qualitative Survey of Enterprise Risk Management Programs., Marsh & McLennan, U.S.A, 12-36. ISBN: 9780124157538
- Stulz R. (1996)., Rethinking risk management., Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 9(3), 8-25.
- Stulz R. (2003)., Rethinking risk management, The Revolution in Corporate Finance., 4th Edition, Blackwell Publishing, 367-384.
- Nocco B.W. and Stulz R. (2006)., Enterprise risk management: Theory and practice., Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 18(4), 8-20.
- Tufano P. (1996)., Who manages risk? An empirical examination of risk management practices in the gold mining industry., Journal of Finance, 51(4), 1097-1137.
- Paul Walker L., William Shenkir G., Thomas Barton L. (2003)., ERM in practice: examples of auditing, Internal Auditor, 60(4), 51-55.
- Pagach D. and Warr R. (2010)., The Effects of Enterprise Risk Management on Firm Performance., Jenkins Graduate School of Management North Carolina State University. U.S.A., 1-26.
- Hoyt Robert E. and Liebenberg Andre P. (2008)., The Value of Enterprise Risk Management: Evidence from the U.S. Insurance Industry., Journal of Risk and Insurance, 78(4), 795–822.
- Giorgio Stefano Bertinetti, Elisa Cavezzali and Gloria Gardenal (2013)., The effect of the enterprise risk management implementation on the firm value of European companies., Ca
- Pagach D. and Warr R. (2007)., An Empirical Investigation of the Characteristics of Firms Adopting Enterprise Risk Management., North Carolina State University. U.S.A., 1-32.
- Izah Mohd Tahir and Rizal Razali Ahmad (2011)., The Relationship between Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Firm Value, Evidence from Malaysian Public Listed Companies., International Journal of Economics and Management Science, 1(2), 32-41.
- Sekerci Naciye (2012)., Does Enterprise Risk Management Create Value for Firms? Evidence from Nordic Countries., School of Economics and Management, Lund University.1-43.
- Tehran Stock Exchange (2010)., Annual reports, .http:// new.tse.ir/. 01/01/2010 to 29/12/2015.
- Codal (Securities and Exchange Organization data center of Iran website) (2010)., Annual reports., http://www.codal.ir /.01/01/2010 to 29/12/2015.