Approach of green and lean manufacturing study of the small industries in Bangladesh
- 1Industrial and Production Engineering Department, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
- 2Industrial and Production Engineering Department, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
- 3Industrial and Production Engineering Department, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
- 4Industrial and Production Engineering Department, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 19-22, September,26 (2020)
The economic outgrowth rate of Bangladesh is on the rise drastically, day by day. Productivity is the main engine, and modernism is the fuel for operating and expanding this market. To boost up the productivity and quality of product lean methodology is one of the paramount methods. Lean and green manufacturing can simultaneously be used to enhance operational efficiency and mitigate waste and emissions. Moreover, Green manufacturing integrated with lean can ensure the lowest environmental effect, it also helps the sustainable development of modern manufacturing companies. The main aim of this research is to implement the Eco Value Stream Mapping approach in a smaller context in 5 industries and try to assess incremental progress. Finally, some obstacles are also found in the implementation of green-lean technology, for those problems several salient suggestions are suggested.
- Glenn Johansson and Mats Winroth (2009)., Lean vs. Green manufacturing: Similarities and differences., Proceedings of the 16th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Implementation Realizing Operations Management Knowledge, GÖteborg, Sweden.
- Rakesh Kumar and Vikas Kumar (2012)., Lean Manufacturing System: An Overview., Proceedings of the National Conference on Trends and Advances in Mechanical Engineering, YMCA University of Science & Technology, Faridabad, Haryana, Oct 19-20, 742-747.
- Geoff Miller, Janice Pawloski and Charles Standridge (2010)., A case study of lean, sustainable manufacturing, Journal of Industrial engineering and Management, 3(1). 11-32., undefined
- Leigh Smith and Peter Ball (2012)., Steps towards sustainable manufacturing through modelling material, energy and waste flows., Int. Journal of Production Economics, 140, 227-238.
- Rachna Shah and Peter T Ward (2003)., Lean manufacturing: context, practice bundles and performance., Journal of Operations Management, 21(2), 129-149.
- Trish Melton (2005)., The benefits of lean manufacturing: what lean thinking has to offer the process industries., Chemical engineering research and design, 83(6), 662-673.
- Ma Ga Mark Yang, Paul Hong and Sachin B Modi (2011)., Impact of lean manufacturing and environmental management on business performance: An empirical study of manufacturing firms., International Journal of Production Economics, 129(2), 251-261.
- Ahmed M Deif (2011)., A system model for green manufacturing., Journal of Cleaner Production, 19(14), 1553-1559.
- Gary G Bergmiller and Paul R McCright (2009)., Lean manufacturers transcendence to green manufacturing., Proceedings of the 2009 industrial engineering research conference, 30.
- M Florentina Abreu, Anabela C Alves and Francisco Moreira (2017)., Lean-Green models for eco-efficient and sustainable production., Energy, 137, 846-853.
- Roberto Donizeti Leme Junior, Andrea Oliveira Nunes, Luana Bonome Message Costa and Diogo Aparecido Lopes Silva (2018)., Creating value with less impact: Lean, green and eco-efficiency in a metalworking industry towards a cleaner production., Journal of Cleaner Production, 196, 517-534.
- M Chowdhury, Razu Ahmed and Masuma Yasmin (2014)., Prospects and Problems of RMG Industry: A study on Bangladesh., Prospects, 5(7), 103-118.
- Mst Nazma Sultana, Shohanuzzaman Shohan and Fardim Sufian (2014)., Aggregate planning using transportation method: a case study in cable industry., International Journal of Managing Value and Supply Chains, 5(3), 19.
- Md Anamul Habib and Md Zahedul Alam (2011)., Business analysis of pharmaceutical firms in Bangladesh: problems and prospects., Journal of Business and Technology (Dhaka), 6(1), 61-77.
- HL Paul, A Paula M Antunes, Anthony D Covington, Paul Evans and Paul S Phillips (2013)., Bangladeshi leather industry: An overview of recent sustainable developments from Porter, Journal of Business and Technology (Dhaka), 5(2), 104-121, 2010.