Comparative study of structural cost and seismic vulnerability of seismic resistant RC Building
- 1Nepal Engineering College, Bhaktapur, Nepal
- 2Nepal Engineering College, Bhaktapur, Nepal
- 3Nepal Engineering College, Bhaktapur, Nepal
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 8, Issue (1), Pages 1-9, January,26 (2019)
There are many world heritage sites in Nepal. Their seismic vulnerability study is very important for their conservation. Such type of reinforced concrete frame buildings is located in the cultural site Patan Lalitpur. The seismic vulnerability of existing buildings due to different earthquake is determined in terms of fragility curves. Capacity is determined from pushover analysis as top displacement by defining formation of plastic hinges for dominant mechanism and linear dynamic response analysis is carried out using ground motion time histories of different earthquakes for response. One of the major conclusions of the study is the probability of failure, in general, of the studied reinforced concrete buildings lies between 6.16% to 56.99% for peak ground acceleration of 0.3g. Buildings of various categories are selected for the analysis by looking into number of stories, floor area, structural configuration, location and construction materials. Structural analysis is done in finite element based software SAP2000 v14. Although From the analysis it is found that total cost of the buildings are not significantly different but in existing construction major structural component of building, columns are seen unsafe, beams are over safe. It can be concluded that only cost will not increase the strength of the building but the proper design is also equally important.
- Chen W.F. and Scawthorn C. (2003)., Earthquake Engineering Hand Book., CRC press, Boca Raton, Florida, United States.
- Chopra A.K. (1996)., Dynamics of Structures.(3rd ed)., Prentice Hall of India.
- Clough R.W. and Penzien J. (1993)., Dynamics of Structure., (2nd ed). McGraw-Hill Inc.
- Building Seismic Safety Council (US) and Applied Technology Council (1997)., NEHRP guidelines for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings., Federal Emergency Management Agency, 1.
- FEMA 310 (1998)., Handbook for the Seismic Evaluation of Buildings., Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C.
- NBC (2004)., Illustrated guideline for construction of earthquake safe residential building., Nepal Building Code.
- HAZUS-MH MR3 (2003)., Technical Manual., Department of Homeland Security Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate, FEMA Mitigation Division Washington, D.C.
- Hariharan R. (2012)., Dhvani a text to speech System for Indian languages., Available: http://dhvani.sourceforge.net/. Accessed on 20 February 2012.
- Ji J.U.N., Elnashai A.S. and Kuchma D.A. (2009)., Seismic fragility relationships of reinforced concrete high‐rise buildings., The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 18(3), 259-277. DOI: 10.1002/tal.408
- Kircher C.A., Nassar A.A., Kustu O. and Holmes W.T. (1997)., Development of building damage functions for earthquake loss estimation., Earthquake spectra, 13(4), 663-682.
- Kramer S.L. (1996)., Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, published by Dorling Kindersley [India] Pvt. Ltd., licensees of Pearson Education in South Asia.
- Naqvi T., Datta T.K. and Ramana G.V. (2001)., Reliability Analysis of Building Frames for Seismic Forces., Transactions, SMiRT 16, Washington DC.
- Ranganathan R. (1990)., Reliability Analysis and Design of Structures., TATA McGRAW-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, India
- Asli A. (2008)., A Comparative Study on Earthquake Resistance of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Residential Buildings in Small-Scale Cities of Turkey (Doctoral dissertation, Ph. D. Thesis, The Graduate School of Natural and Applied Science, Middle East Technical University, Turkey).,
- Mishra Vivek Kumar and Patel Rakesh (2018)., Comparative non-linear analysis of bamboo concrete column and steel reinforced concrete column under axial loading using ANSYS., Research Journal of Engineering sciences, 7(7), 1-4.