Application of CFD software for planning and design of civil engineering structures
- 1Civil Engineering Department, Jagdambha College of Engg. & Tech., Yavatmal, India
- 2Civil Engineering Department, Govt. Polytechnic, Nagpur, India
- 3Civil Engineering Department, KDK College of Engineering, Nagpur, India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 48-51, March,26 (2017)
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) was used widely by every field of engineering for solving critical problems. Paper discussed the application of CFD software for planning and design of civil engineering structures. In civil engineering, CFD can be used for study of liquid flow in environmental structures, sloshing effect of liquid in tanks, Natural ventilation, Force ventilation, Thermal comfort study, stack effect, planning of building in town and contaminant migration in hospital. With proper planning of windows location, windows size and ventilators, natural flow of air can be maintained in residential and hospital building. CFD simulation result are very sensitive to the large number of modeling parameters set by the user. CFD Parameters like Size of computational domain, grid resolution, boundary layer property, turbulence model selected for output and convergence criteria implemented in software are responsible for proper simulation output. Application of Autodesk CFD simulation was demonstrated for wind simulation in building under fixed location, fixed size of windows with uniform wind velocity.
- Pavlovic D., Todorovic M., Jovanovic M. and Milosavljevic P. (2013)., Comparison of Commercial CFD Software Packages., ICAICTSEE.
- Li N. (2015)., Comparison between three different CFD software and numerical simulation of an ambulance hall.,
- Olsen N.R.B. (2003)., Three-Dimensional CFD Modeling of Self-Forming Meandering Channel., J Hydraul Eng., 129(5), 366-372. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429.
- Rumsey Christopher L., Allison Dennis O., Biedron Robert T., Buning Pieter G., Gainer Thomas G., Morrison Joseph H., Rivers S. Melissa, Mysko Stephen J. and Witkowski David P. (2001)., CFD Sensitivity Analysis of a Modern Civil Transport Near Buffet-Onset Conditions.,
- SWADDIWUDHIPONG S. and KHAN M.S. (2002), Dynamic response of wind-excited building using CFD., J Sound Vib., 253(4), 735-754. doi:10.1006/jsvi.2000.3508.
- Gessler D. (2005)., CFD Modeling of Spillway Performance., Impacts of Global Climate Change, 1-10. doi:10.1061/40792(173)398.
- Goula A.M., Kostoglou M., Karapantsios T.D. and Zouboulis A.I. (2008)., A CFD methodology for the design of sedimentation tanks in potable water treatment: Case study: The influence of a feed flow control baffle., Chem Eng J., 140(1), 110-121. doi:10.1016/j.cej.2007.09.022.
- Le Moullec Y., Gentric C., Potier O. and Leclerc J.P. (2010)., CFD simulation of the hydrodynamics and reactions in an activated sludge channel reactor of wastewater treatment., Chem Eng Sci., 65(1), 492-498. doi:10.1016/j.ces.2009.03.021.
- Balocco C. (2011)., Hospital ventilation simulation for the study of potential exposure to contaminants., Build Simul., 4(1), 5-20. doi:10.1007/s12273-011-0019-6.
- Thool S.B. and Sinha S.L. (2014)., Simulation of Room Airflow using CFD and Validation with Experimental Results., 6(5), 192-202.
- IES V.E. (2016)., MICROFLO Undertake internal or external air flow and thermal studies using Computation Fluid Dynamics (CDF) software., https://www.iesve.com/ software/ve-for-engineers/module/MicroFlo/463. 1/11/2016.
- Autodesk (2016)., Computational Fluid Dynamics Software., Autodesk CFD. http://www.autodesk.com/ products/cfd/overview. 1/11/2016.
- STAR-CCM+ (2016)., Discover better designs, Faster., http://mdx.plm.automation.siemens.com/star-ccm-plus. 1/11/2016.
- CFD Software (2016)., Creating Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations., https://www.comsol.com/cfd-module. 1/11/2016.
- Economon T.D., Palacios F., Copeland S.R., Lukaczyk T.W. and Alonso J.J. (2015)., SU2: An Open-Source Suite for Multiphysics Simulation and Design., AIAA J., 54(3), 828-846. doi:10.2514/1.J053813.