Design and analysis of a new type of aircraft wing leading edge against bird-impact
- 1School of Aeronautics, Northwestern Polytechnical University, Shaanxi Province, Xi’an City, P.R. China
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 23-47, March,26 (2017)
The aim of this research is to provide a new structural design of wing leading edge which is more resistive to bird strike according to safety measures mentioned in Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR 25.571). Bird-strike against wing leading edge is simulated in PAM-CRASH while structure of wing leading edge is modeled in CATIA V5. Bird in shape of cylindrical with hemispherical ends having a weight of 1.8 Kg is impacted against wing leading edge at a velocity of 150 m/s. Five new models of leading edge are developed and simulated. Those are named as case 2 to case 6. A traditional design of wing leading edge named as case 1 is also simulated under same conditions for results comparison with new designs. Each case is simulated for two scenarios of bird strike. The first scenario is when bird exactly hits the leading edge. The second scenario is when bird hits a position 125 mm vertically upward from leading edge. Simulation results showed that traditional design is more prone damage in first scenario than second scenario. Case 2 to 4 proved good in both scenario but these cases are much safer in first scenario. Case 5 and 6 showed good resistance to bird strike in first scenario but received considerable damage in second scenario. By comparing results of all cases, it is found that case 2 to 4 are better design for wing leading edge than traditional one.
- MacCinnon B. (2004)., Sharing the Skies: An Aviation Industry Guide to the Management of Wildlife Hazards., Report TP.
- Dolbeer S.E.W.R.A. and Weller John R. (July 2014)., Wildlife strikes to civil aircraft in the United States 1990-2013., Federal Aviation Administration.
- Katukam R. (2014)., Compreshensive Bird Strike Simulation Approach for Aircraft Structure Certification., CYIENT.
- Liu J., Li Y., Gao X. and Yu X. (2014)., A numerical model for bird strike on sidewall structure of an aircraft nose., Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 27(3), 542-549.
- Grimaldi A., Sollo A., Guida M. and Marulo F. (2013)., Parametric study of a SPH high velocity impact analysis – A birdstrike windshield application., Composite Structures, 96, 616-630.
- Y. Guo, P. Jia and G. Hong (2012)., Research on Bird Strike Simulation of Composite Leading Edge., AASRI Procedia, 3, 674-679.
- Smojver I. and Ivancevic D. (2010)., Bird impact at aircraft structure–Damage analysis using Coupled Euler Lagrangian Approach., IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 10(1), 012050.
- Dar U.A., Zhang W. and Xu Y. (2013)., FE Analysis of Dynamic Response of Aircraft Windshield against Bird Impact., International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 1-12.
- N.R.V. Nikhil K.V (2014)., Impact Analysis of Soft Ellipsoidal Projectile with Void on Rigid Wall., International Journal of Research in Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering, 2(3), 165-174.
- Salem S.C., Viswamurthy S.R. and Sundaram R. (2011)., Prediction of Bird Impact behavior through Different bird models using Altair Radioss., HTC, 1-9.
- Goyal V.K., Huertas C.A. and Vasko T.J. (2014)., Smooth Particle Hydrodynamics for Bird-Strike Analysis Using LS-DYNA., American Transactions on Engineering & Applied Sciences, 2(2), 83-107.
- Velmurugan V.N. (2017)., Numerical bird strike impact simulation of aircraft composite structure., IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE), 2, 1-10.
- Ugrcic M., Maksimovic S., Stamenkovic D., Maksimovic K. and Nabil K. (2015)., Finite element modeling of wing bird strike., FME Transaction, 43(1), 76-81.
- Xue P., Zhao N., Liu J. and Li Y.L. (2011)., Approach to Assess Bird Strike Resistance for a Wing Slat Structure., Journal of Aircraft, 48(3), 1095-1098.
- Reglero J.A., Rodríguez-Pérez M.A., Solórzano E. and Saja de J.A. (2011)., Aluminium foams as a filler for leading edges: Improvements in the mechanical behaviour under bird strike impact tests., Materials & Design, 32(2), 907-910.
- Sun Y.J.L.R.H.J.Q. (2014)., Numerical simulation of bird strike in aircraft leading edge structure using a new dynamic failure model., in 29th Congress of International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, st. Petersburg.
- Doubrava R. and Strnad V. (2010)., Bird Strike Analyses on The Parts of Aircraft Structure., in 27th International Congress of The Aeronautical Sciences, Nice, France.
- Hedayati R. and Ziaei-Rad S. (2013)., A new bird model and the effect of bird geometry in impacts from various orientations., Aerospace Science and Technology, 28(1), 9-20.
- KavithaMol S., Stanley and Salem S.C. (2011)., Target parametric studies on bird impact behaviour of aircraft leading edges., National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore.
- Liu J., Li Y., Shi X. and Wang W. (2012)., Dynamic Response of Bird Strike on Aluminum Honeycomb-Based Sandwich Panels., Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 27(3), 520-528.
- Heimbs S. (2011)., Computational methods for bird strike simulations: A review., Computers & Structures, 89(23), 2093-2112.
- Airoldi A. and Cacchione B. (2006)., Modelling of impact forces and pressures in Lagrangian bird strike analyses., International Journal of Impact Engineering, 32(10), 1651-1677.
- Lavoie M.A., Gakwaya A., Ensan M.N., Zimcik D.G. and Nandlall D. (2009)., Bird, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 36(10), 1276-1287.
- Nizampatnam L.S. (2007)., Models and methods for bird strike load predictions., Wichita State University.
- Johnson A.F. and Holzapfel M. (2003)., Modelling soft body impact on composite structures., Composite Structures, 61(1), 103-113.
- McCarthy M.A., McCarthy C.T., Kamoulakos A., Ramos J., Gallard J.P. and Melito V. (2004)., Modelling of bird strike on an aircraft wing leading edge made from fibre metal laminates - Part 2: Modelling of impact with SPH bird model., Applied Composite Materials, 11(5), 317-340.
- Yupu G., Zhenhua Z., Wei C. and Deping G. (2008)., Foreign Object Damage to Fan Rotor Blades of Aeroengine Part II: Numerical Simulation of Bird Impact., Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 21(4), 328-334.
- McCarthy M.A., Xiao J.R., McCarthy C.T., Kamoulakos A., Ramos J., Gallard J.P. and Melito V. (2005)., Modelling bird impacts on an aircraft wing – Part 2: Modelling the impact with an SPH bird model., International Journal of Crashworthiness, 10(1), 51-59.