Modeling of esterification-pervaporation integrated system of acrylic acid with ethanol
- 1Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Raipur (CG), India
- 2Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Raipur (CG), India
- 3Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Raipur (CG), India
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 10-15, March,26 (2017)
Kinetic model for esterification of acrylic acid with ethanol using sulphuric acid (H2SO4) as a catalyst coupled pervaporation process was established in this work. The major effects of different parameters such as reaction temperature, ratios of initial molar quantity of reactants, membrane area, catalyst concentration and membrane permeability on the esterification reaction and the permeation kinetics of water removed by pervaporation were taken into consideration in this kinetic model. The developed model equations are solved by the ODE solver, ode45 implemented in the MATLAB. The esterification of acrylic acid with ethanol usingH2SO4 was carried out at a temperature range of 5070°C, catalyst concentration of 1-3% of reaction mixture and initial reactant molar ratio of 1:1-1:3. The conversion of acrylic acid or yield of ethyl acrylate was enhanced in a pervaporation reactor as compared to a conventional reactor. The result indicates that the esterification pervaporation integrated system accelerates the rate of ester formation by removing water.
- Han Y., Lv E., Ma L., Lu J., Chen K. and Ding J. (2015)., Coupling membrane pervaporation with a fixed-bed reactor for enhanced esterification of oleic acid with ethanol., Energy Convers. Manag., 106, 1379-1386.
- Wasewar K., Patidar S. and Agarwal V.K. (2009)., Esterification of lactic acid with ethanol in a pervaporation reactor: modeling and performance study., Desalination, 243(1-3), 305-313.
- Yun Z.O.U., Zhangfa T., Kun L.I.U. and Xianshe F. (2010)., Modeling of Esterification in a Batch Reactor Coupled with Pervaporation for Production of n -Butyl Acetate., Chinese Journal of Catalysis, 31(8), 999-1005.
- Ali S.H., Tarakmah A., Merchant S.Q. and Al-Sahhaf T. (2007)., Synthesis of esters: Development of the rate expression for the Dowex 50 Wx8-400 catalyzed esterification of propionic acid with 1-propanol., Chem. Eng. Sci., 62(12), 3197-3217.
- Jyoti G., Keshav A. and Anandkumar J. (2016)., Experimental and Kinetic Study of Esterification of Acrylic Acid with Ethanol Using Homogeneous Catalyst., International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, 14(2), 571-578.
- Sert E. and Atalay F.S. (2014)., n-Butyl acrylate production by esterification of acrylic acid with n-butanol combined with pervaporation., Chem. Eng. Process. Process Intensif., 81, 41-47.
- Rathod A.P., Wasewar K.L. and Sonawane S.S. (2013)., Intensification of esterification reaction of lactic acid with iso-propanol using pervaporation reactor., Procedia Eng., 51, 456-460.
- Sanz M.T. and Gmehlingb J. (2006)., Esterification of acetic acid with isopropanol coupled with pervaporation. Part II. Study of a pervaporation reactor., Chem. Eng. J., 123, 9-14.
- Korkmaz S., Salt Y., Hasanoglu A., Ozkan S., Salt I. and Dincer S. (2009)., Pervaporation membrane reactor study for the esterification of acetic acid and isobutanol using polydimethylsiloxane membrane., Appl. Catal. A Gen., 366(1), 102-107.
- Hasanoǧlu A., Salt Y., Keleşer S. and Dinçer S. (2009)., The esterification of acetic acid with ethanol in a pervaporation membrane reactor., Desalination, 245(1-3), 662-669.
- Delgado P., Sanz M.T., Beltrán S. and Núñez L.A. (2010)., Ethyl lactate production via esterification of lactic acid with ethanol combined with pervaporation,Chem., Eng. J., 165(2), 693-700.
- Truong H.T., Rode S., Roizard D., Mouzon-Pelletier S. and Tretjak S. (2013)., Dehydration of reactive industrial mixtures by pervaporation: An innovative approach in acrylic esters processes., Sep.Purif. Technol., 120, 24-34.
- Altiokka M.R. and Çitak A. (2003)., Kinetics study of esterification of acetic acid with isobutanol in the presence of amberlite catalyst., Appl. Catal. A Gen., 239(1), 141-148.