A Review on the Application of Hydrogen Rich Gas as Fuel Supplement in CI and SI Internal Combustion Engine
- 1Department of Physics, Mizoram University, Aizawl 796004, INDIA
- 2Department of Physics, Mizoram University, Aizawl 796004, INDIA
Res. J. Engineering Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 1-3, January,26 (2016)
With the rapid increase in consumption of fossil fuels and its high contribution to environmental pollution, researchers all over the world works to improve internal combustion enginesemission characteristics and reduce the consumption of fuel. The application of hydrogen or hydrogen-rich gas as fuel supplement for SI and CI engines is considered to be one of the most desirable methods to these problems. Hydrogen has many excellent combustion properties that can be used for improving hydrocarbon combustion and emissions performance of both SI and CI engines.
- Yilmaz A.C., Uludamar E. and Aydin K. (2010)., Effect ofhydroxy (HHO) gas addition on performance and exhaustemissions in compression ignition engines, Int. J.Hydrogen Energy, 35, 11366-11372.
- Saravanan N., Nagarajan G., Dhanasekaran C. andKalaiseivan K.M. (2007)., Experimental investigation ofhydrogen port fuel injection in DI Engine, Int. J. HydrogenEnergy, 32, 4071-4080.
- Cassidy J.F (1977)., Emissions and total energyconsumption of a multicylinder piston engine running ongasoline and a hydrogen-gasoline mixture, NASATechnical Note, NASA TN D-8487.
- Hoffman P. (2001)., Tomorrow’s energy: Hydrogen, FuelCells, and the prospects for a cleaner Planet, MIT Press,Cambridge, England.
- Dulger Z. and Ozcelik K.R. (2000)., Fuel EconomyImprovement by on Board Electrolytic HydrogenProduction, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 25, 895-897.
- Wei Z.D., Ji M.B., Chen S.G., Liu Y., Sun C.X., Yin G.Z.,Chen P.K. and Chan S.H. (2007)., Water electrolysis oncarbon electrodes enhanced by surfactant, Electrochim, .Acta, 52, 3323-3329.
- De Souza R.F., Loget G., Padilha J.C., Martini E.M.A. andde Souza M.O. (2008)., Molybdenum electrodes forhydrogen production by water electrolysis using ionicliquid electrolytes, Electrochemistry Communications,10,1673-1675.
- Kandah M.I (2014)., Enhancement of Water ElectrolyzerEfficiency, Journal of Energy Technologies and Policy,4(11).
- LeRoy R.L., Janjua M.B.I, Renaud R. and Leuenberger U.(1979)., Analysis of time variation effects in waterelectrolyzer, J. Electrochem.Soc., 126, 1674-1682.
- Nagai N., Takeuchi M., Kimura T. and Oka T. (2003)., Existence of optimum space between electrodes onhydrogen production by water electrolysis, InternationalJournal of Hydrogen Energy, 28, 35-41.
- Pickett D.J. (1979)., Electrochemical Reactor Design,Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co. New York, 121.
- Durairaj R.B., Shanker J. and Sivasankar M. (2012)., HHOGas with Bio-diesel as a Dual Fuel with AirpreheatinfgTechnology, Procedia Engineering, 38, 1112-1119.
- Musmar S.A. and Al-Rousan A.A. (2011)., Effect of HHOgas on combustion emissions in gasoline engines,Fuel, 90,3066-3070.
- Wang H.K., Cheng C.Y., Lin Y.C and Chen K.S. (2012)., Emission reductions of Air Pollutants from a Heavy-dutyDiesel Engine Mixed with Various Amounts ofH2/O2,Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 12, 133–140.
- Vino V.J.A., Ramanlal V.S. and Madhusudhan Y. (2012)., Performance Analysis of Petrol - HHO Engine, MiddleEastJournal of Scientific Research, 12, 1737-1740.
- Bari S. and Mohammad E.M., Effect of H2/O2 addition inincreasing the thermal efficiency of a diesel engine, Fuel,89, 378-383 (2010)
- Akansu S.O, Dulger Z, Kahraman N and Veziroglu T.N.(2004)., Internal combustion engines fueled by natural gashydrogen mixtures, International Journal of HydrogenEnergy, 29, 1527-1539.
- Saravanan N., Nagarajan G., Dhanasekaran C. andKalaiseivan K.M. (2007)., Experimental investigation ofhydrogen port fuel injection in DI Engine,Int. J. HydrogenEnergy, 32, 4071-4080.
- Kumar G.A. and Rao G.V. (2013)., PerformanceCharacteristics of Oxy Hydrogen Gas on Two StrokePetrol Engine, International Journal of EngineeringTrends and Technology (IJETT), 6(7), .
- Wang S., Ji C., Zhang B. and Zhou X. (2014)., Analysis oncombustion of a hydrogen-blended gasoline engine at highloads and lean conditions, Energy Procedia, 61, 323-326.
- Anh T.L., Duc K.N., Thu H.T.T and Van T.C. (2013)., Improving Performance and Reducing Pollution Emissionsof a Carburetor Gasoline Engine by Adding HHO Gas intothe Intake Manifold, SAE International, 2013-01-0104.