Physico-chemical characterization of vegetable wastes for its proper management
- 1Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Satara-415002, MS, India
- 2Department of Microbiology, Yashavantrao Chavan Institute of Science, Satara-415002, MS, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 67-71, July,22 (2020)
Vegetable waste is a type of agricultural wastes. Daily huge quantity of vegetable wastes is produced in market. They are easily decomposed and are voluminous. The management of these wastes from disposal point of view is indeed important. Vegetable wastes have high pollution potential as far as environmental health is concerned. Unscientific disposal methods cause heavy damage to every component of environment. Biomethanation and vermicomposting are the two economical biological treatment methods. Biomethanation is however more economical than vermin-composting, since it generates energy in the form of biogas and effluent generated have manural value whereas vermi-composting generates only manure. The objective of the current study was to analyse physico-chemical characteristics of vegetable waste and in turn its amenability as a substrate for biogas production through biomethanation process. The vegetable waste was found to be slightly acidic with high percentage of organic material, macro and microelements. The results showed the selected vegetable waste mixture have potential as a substrate to produce biogas after its pretreatment.
- Book (2017)., Horticultural Statistics at a Glance., 1st edition, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1-16.
- Suthar S.S., Watts J., Sandhu M., Rana S., Kanwal A., Gupta D. and Meena M.S. (2005)., Vermicomposting of kitchen waste by using Eisenia foetida (SAVIGNY)., Asian J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. Environ. Sci., 7, 541-544.
- Kumar S., Bhattacharyya J.K., Chakrabarti A.V., Devotta T.S. and Akolkar A. (2009)., Assessment of the status of municipal solid waste management in metro cities, state capitals, class I cities, and class II towns in India: An insight., Waste Manag., 29, 883-895
- Baffi C., Dell Abate M.T., Silva S., Beneditti A., Nassisi A., Genevini P.L. and Adani F. (2005)., A comparison of chemical, thermal and biological approach to evaluate compost stability., Geophys, Res. Abstr., 7, 09-116.
- Kumar D., Khare M. and Alappat B.J. (2001)., Leachate generation from municipal landfills in New Delhi, India., 27th WEDC Conference on People and Systems for Water, Sanitation and Health, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Zurbrugg, C. (2002)., Urban solid waste management in low-income countries of Asia how to cope with the garbage crisis., Presented for: Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment (SCOPE) Urban Solid Waste Management Review Session, Durban, South Africa, 1-13.
- Naik S.N., Vaibhav V., Goud Prasant K.R. and Ajay K.D. (2010)., Production of first and second generation biofuels: A comprehensive review., Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev., 14, 578-597.
- Lansing, S., Víquez, J., Martínez, H., Botero, R., & Martin, J. (2008)., Quantifying electricity generation and waste transformations in a low-cost, plug-flow anaerobic digestion system., Ecological engineering, 34(4), 332-348.
- Chami R. and Vivanco E. (2007)., Biogas potential: Identification and classification of different types of biomass available in chile for the generation of biogas., Project for Renewable Energy and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH (German Technical Co-operation). pp.82.
- Sarkar M.S.I. and Bhuyan M.S. (2018)., Analysis of physical and chemical composition of the Solid waste in Chittagong city., Jr. Ind. Poll. Cont., 34(1), 1984-1990.
- Hanc A., Novak P., Dvorak M., Habart J. and Svehla P. (2011)., Composition and parameters of household bio-waste in four season., Waste Manag., 31, 1450-1460.
- Chiang K., Chien K. and Lu C. (2012)., Characterization and comparison of biomass produced from various sources: Suggestions for selection of pretreatment technologies in biomass-to-energy., Appl. Energy, 100, 164-171.
- Zhang R., El-Mashad H.M., Hartman K., Wang F., Liu G., Choate C. and Gamble P. (2007)., Characterization of food waste as feedstock for anaerobic digestion., Bioresour. Technol., 98, 929-935.
- Arya N. and Katariya H.C. (2018)., Study and evaluation of physicochemical parameters of organic Mannur derived from different waste materials., Int. J. Biol. Res., 3(2), 71-74.
- Asquer C., Pistis A. and Antonio S.E. (2013)., Characterization of fruit and vegetable wastes as a Single substrate for the anaerobic digestion., Environ. Eng. Manag. J., 12 (S11) 89-92.
- Das N.G., Huque K.S., Amanullah S.M., Dharmapuri S. and Makkar H.P.S. (2018)., Study of chemical composition and nutritional values of vegetable wastes in Bangladesh., Veterinary and Animal Science, 5, 31-37.
- Sharoba, A.M., Farrag, M.A. and Abd El-Salam, A.M. (2013)., Utilization of some fruits and vegetables waste as a source of dietary fiber and its effect on the cake making and its quality Attributes., J. Agroaliment. Proc. Technol., 19(4), 429-444.
- Nagy G., Wopera A. and Koos T. (2014)., Physical and chemical analysis of Canteen wastes for syngas production., Mater. Sci. Engin., 39(2), 59-67.
- Singh A., Kuila A., Adak S., Bishai M. and Banerjee R. (2012). Utilization of vegetable wastes for bioenergy generation, Agric. Res., 1(3), 213-222., undefined, undefined
- APHA, AWWA and WEF (1998)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater., 20th edition, American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association and Water Environmental Federation, Washington D.C.
- Trivedy R.K. and Goel P.K. (1984)., Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies., Environmental Publications, Karad, India.
- Bouallagui H., Lahdheb H., Romdan E., Rachdi B. and Hamdi M. (2009)., Improvement of fruit and vegetable waste anaerobic digestion performance and stability with co-substrates addition., J. Environ. Manage., 90,1844-1849.
- Hobson P.N., Bousfield S. and Summens R. (1981)., Methane production from agricultural and domestic waste., Applied Science Publishers Ltd., London.
- Dhanalakshmi S.V., Srinivasan S.V., Kayalvizhi R. and Bhuvaneswari R. (2012)., Studies on conversion of carbohydrate content in the mixture of vegetable wastes into biogas in a single stage anaerobic reactor., Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 2(6), 66-71.
- Duran-Garcia M., Ramirez Y., Bravo R. and Rojas-Solorzano L. (2012)., Biogas home production assessment using a selective sample of organic vegetable waste - A preliminary study., Interciencia, 37, 128-132.
- Mondal C. and Biswas G.K. (2012). A comparative study on production of bio gas using green and dried vegetable wastes by anaerobic batch digestion process, . Research Inventy: International Journal of Engineering and Science, 1(6), 1-6 (2012)., undefined
- Velmurugan B. and Ramanujam R.A. (2011)., Anaerobic digestion of vegetable wastes for biogas production in a fed-batch reactor., Int. J. Emerg. Sci, 1(3), 478-486.
- Ranade D.R., Yeole T.Y. and Godbole S.H. (1987)., Production of biogas from market waste., Biomass, 13, 147-153.