Assessment of downstream pollution influence of urbanization on stream physicochemical characteristics and Macroinvertebrate community structure: in case of Woliata Sodo Town, Ethiopia
- 1Departments of Biology, Werabe University, Ethiopia
- 2Departments of Biology, Wolaita Sodo University, Ethiopia
- 3Departments of Biology, Wolaita Sodo University, Ethiopia
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 69-77, January,22 (2020)
Woliata Sodo Town (6048′N to 37047′E) is an important commercial town in southern region, Ethiopia. The aim of the present work was to assess the downstream pollution influence of Sodo Town on water quality and macroinvertebrate community structure. Among four sampling sites, three sites were at downstream of the town whereas a reference site was at upstream. Physicochemical data with sample of macroinvertebrates was taken at upstream, midstream and downstream of the sampling sites from September to January 2016/17. Water quality test including temperature, electrical conductivity, TDS and salinity were measured in-situ and the recorded result in ranges 7.385 to 8.46 pH meters, 20.25 to 22.28 &
- Booth D.B. and Bledsoe B.P. (2009)., Streams and urbanization. In The water environment of cities., Springer, Boston, MA, 93-123.
- Booth D.B. and Jackson C.R. (1997)., Urbanization of aquatic systems: Degradation thresholds, stormwater detection, and the limits of mitigation 1., JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 33(5), 1077-1090.
- Cohen J.E. (2003)., Human population: the next half century., science, 302(5648), 1172-1175.
- Giri N. and Singh O.P. (2013)., Urban growth and water quality in thimphu, Bhutan., Journal of Urban and Environmental Engineering, 7(1), 82-95.
- Burres E. (1997)., What Are Bioassessments? California′s Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program Clean Water Team.,
- Gahl A. (2002)., Benthic Macro invertebrate and Riparian Habitat Assessment., Watershed
- Greenway M. (2010)., Wetlands and ponds for stormwater treatment in subtropical Australia: their effectiveness in enhancing biodiversity and improving water quality?., Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 146(1), 22-38. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1936-704X.2010.00389.x
- Bennetti C.J., Perez-Bilbao A. and Garrido J. (2012)., Macroinvertebrates as Indicators of Water Quality in Running Waters: 10 Years of Research in Rivers with Different Degrees of Anthropogenic Impacts, Ecological Water Quality-Water Treatment and Reuse., Dr. Voudouris (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0508-4. InTech editor, 95-122.
- Water and river commission [WRC] (2001)., Water facts., 2nd ed., Western Australia. ISBN: 0-7309-7564-9
- Zinabu G.M. and Elias D. (1989)., Water resources and fisheries management in the Ethiopian rift valley Lake., SINET. An Ethiopian journal of science, 12(2), 95-109.
- Matusala T. (2015)., Application of GIS and Remote Sensing Using Multi-Criteria Decision Making Analysis for Abattoir Site Selection: the Case of Wolaita Soddo Town, Ethiopia., Addis Ababa University. Unpublished MA Thesis.
- Barbour M.T., Gerritsen J., Snyder B.D. and Stribling J.B. (1999)., Rapid Bioassessment Protocols for Use in Streams and Wadeable Rivers: Periphyton, Benthic Macroinvertebrates and Fish., Second Edition. EPA 841-B-99-002. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; Office of Water; Washington, D.C. http://www.epa.gov/OWOW/monitoring/techmon.html
- Bouchard R.W. (2004)., Guid to aquatic macroinvertebrate of the upper Midwest., Water resources Center, university of Minnesota, st.paul, 208.
- Sarda P. and Sadgir P. (2015)., Assessment of Multi Parameters of Water Quality in Surface Water Bodies-A Review., Int J Res Appl Sci Eng Technol, 3(8), 331-336.
- Köse E., Tokatli C. and Çiçek A. (2014)., Monitoring Stream Water Quality: A Statistical Evaluation., Pol. J. Environ. Stud., 23(5), 1637-1647.
- Clean Water Team (CWT). (2004)., Electrical conductivity/salinity., Fact Sheet, FS-22.214.171.124 (EC). https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issue
- Parsons B.G., Watmough S.A., Dillon P.J. and Somers K. M. (2010)., Relationships between lake water chemistry and benthic macro invertebrates in the Athabasca Oil Sands Region, Alberta., Journal of Limnology, 69(1), 118-125.
- Love N., Ellis S. and Corning B. (2007)., An ecological assessment comparing three unique sites along the South Platte River.,
- Villantes Y.I. and Nuñeza O.M. (2015)., Macroinvertebrates as bioindicators of water quality in Labo and Clarin rivers, Misamis Occidental, Philippines., International Journal of Biosciences | IJB | 6(9), 62-73.
- Selvanayagam M. and Abril R. (2015)., Water Quality Assessment of Piatua River Using Macro invertebrates in Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador., American Journal of Life Sciences, 3(3), 167-174.
- Reif A.G. (2002)., Assessment of stream quality using biological indices at selected sites in the Schuylkill River basin, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1981-97., US Geological Survey.
- Bauernfeind E. and Moog O. (2000)., Mayflies (Insecta: Ephemeroptera) and the assessment of ecological integrity: a methodological approach., Hydrobiologia, 422/423: 71-83, Academic Publishers. Printed in the Netherlands.
- Petrovic A., Milosevic D., Paunovic M., Simic S., Dordevic N., Stojkovic M. and Simic V. (2015)., New data on the distribution and ecology of the mayfly larvae (Insecta: Ephemeroptera) of Serbia (central part of the Balkan Peninsula)., Turkish Journal of Zoology, 39(2), 195-209.
- Dacayana C., Hingco J. and Del Socorro M. (2013)., Benthic Macroinvertebrate Assemblage in Bulod River, Lanao del Norte, Philippines., J Multidisciplinary Studies, 2(1).
- Reif A.G. (2002)., Assessment of stream quality using biological indices at selected sites in the Brandywine Creek basin, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1981-97., U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2002–0117. https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/fs11702
- Eco Spark (2013)., Water Quality Monitoring with Benthic Macro invertebrates Field Manual, Toronto.,
- Sarver R., Harlan S., Rabeni C. and Sowa S.P. (2002)., Biological criteria for wadeable/perennial streams of Missouri., Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City, Missouri.