Assessment of water quality of Imphal West district, Manipur, India, using Water Quality Index (WQI)
- 1Department of Chemistry, Manipur University, Canchipur, Imphal, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Manipur University, Canchipur, Imphal, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 1-9, January,22 (2020)
The present study highlights the water quality of Imphal West district, Manipur, India and its suitability for drinking purposes. A total of fifty seven (57) water samples (both surface and groundwater) were collected, during (January –October), 2016 from different locations of Imphal West district, Manipur, and computed the values of WQI of water samples based on physico-chemical parameters like pH, electrical conductivity (EC), total dissolved solids (TDS), turbidity (Turb), dissolved oxygen (DO), total hardness (TH), chloride (Cl-), nitrate (NO3-), total alkalinity (TA), sodium (Na+), potassium (K+), calcium (Ca2+), and magnesium (Mg2+). About 43.85% (25), 29.80% (17) and 15.76% (9) of water samples belong to poor, very poor and unsuitability category of WQI. Some variables like conductivity, total dissolved solids, turbidity, chloride, phosphate and sodium were exceeded their desirable limits for drinking water. This study reveals that the overall water quality of Imphal West district is poor and unsuitable for drinking, and needs proper treatment before consumption.
- Das J. and Acharya B.C. (2003)., Hydrology and assessment of lotic water quality in Cuttack city, India., Water, Air, Soil Pollution, 150, 163-175.
- Singh R.K.B., Singh T.C., Singh T.R. and Saikia M.D. (2016)., Assessment of Water Quality Index of Nambul River, Imphal, Manipur, India., International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 3(12), 1462-1467.
- Ramakrishnaiah C.R., Sadashivalah C. and Ranganna G. (2009)., Assessment of water quality index for the groundwater in Tumkur Taluk, Karnataka State., Indian J. Chem., 6, 523-530.
- Ramachandraiah C. (2004)., Right to drinking water in India., Centre for Economic and Social Studies, 54.
- Dutta P.S. (2005)., Groundwater ethics for its sustainability., Current Science, 89(5), 812-817.
- Pandey Sandeep K. and Tiwari S. (2009)., Physico-chemical analysis of groundwater of selected area of Ghazipur city- A case study., Nature and Science, 7(1), 17-20.
- Altman S.J. and Parizek R.R. (1995)., Dilution of nonpoint source nitrate in groundwater., J. Environ Quality, 24, 707-717.
- Adekunle I.M., Adetunji M.T., Ghadebo A.M. and Banjoko O.B. (2009)., Assessment of Groundwater Quality in a Typical Rural Settlement in Southwest Nigeria., International Journal Environmental Research and Public Health, 4(4), 307-318.
- Jinwal A. and Dixit S. (2008)., Pre and post monsoon variation in physico-chemical characteristic in groundwater quality in Bhopal, India., Asian J. Exp. Sci., 22(3), 311-316.
- Rao S.M. and Mamatha P. (2004)., Water quality in sustainable water management., Current science, 87(7), 942-947.
- Mahanta B.N., Sarkar B.C., Singh G., Saikia K. and Paul P. R. (2004)., Multivariate statistical modelling and indexing of groundwater quality in and around Jharia coalfields, Jharkhand., NSEEME.
- Khurshid S.H., Hasan N. and Zaheeruddin M. (2002)., Water quality status and environmental hazards in parts of Yamuna Karwan sub-basin of Aligarh-Mathura district, Uttar Pradesh, India., J Appl Hydrol., 14(4), 30-37.
- Sreedevi P.D. (2004)., Groundwater quality of Pageru river basin, Cuddapah district, Andhra Pradesh., J Geol Soc India, 64(5), 619-636.
- Subba Rao N., John Devadas D. (2005)., Quality criteria for groundwater use for development of an area., J Appl Geo-chem., 7(1), 9-23.
- Singh A.K. (2004)., Arsenic contamination in groundwater of North Eastern India., In Proceedings of 11th national Seminar on hydrology with focal theme on water quality, National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee, 255-262.
- Chakraborti D., Singh E.JK., Das B., Shah B.A., Hossain M.A., Nayak B., Ahmed S. and Singh N.R. (2008)., Groundwater arsenic contamination in Manipur, one of the seven North- Eastern Hill states of India: a future danger., Environ Geol., 56(2), 381-390.
- Mishra P.C. and Patel R.K. (2001)., Study of the pollution load in the drinking water of Rairangpur, a small tribal dominated town of North Orissa., Indian J Environ Ecoplan., 5(2), 293-298.
- Naik S. and Purohit K.M. (2001)., Purohit, Studies on water quality of river Brahmani in Sundargarh district, Orissa., Indian J Environ Ecoplan., 5(2), 397-402.
- Tiwari T.N. and Mishra M.A. (1985)., A Preliminary Assignment of Water Quality Index of Major Indian Rivers., Indian J Environ Protection, 5(4), 276-279.
- APHA (2005)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Waste Waters., American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- Horton R.K. (1965)., An Index number for water quality., J water Poll Cont. Fed., 37(3), 300-306.
- Yisa J. and Timoh T. (2010)., Analytical Studies on Water Quality Index of River Landzu., American Journal of Applied Sciences, 7(4), 453-458.
- Jayaram P.R., Ganga D.T. and Vasuena N.T. (2003)., Water quality studies on Kasmane River, Thiruvanantpuram, District South Kerala, India., Poll. Res., 32(1), 89-100.
- World Health Organization (2011)., Guidelines for drinking water quality., 4th edition, Recommendations WHO, Geneva, 221-230.
- Laluraj C.M. and Gopinath G. (2006)., Assessment on Seasonal Variation of Groundwater Quality of Phreatic Aquifers – A River Basin System., Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 117, 45-57.
- BIS (1991)., Specifications for Drinking Water, IS: 10500: 1991., Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- WHO (2004)., Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality., 3rd (Ed). World Health Organization, Geneva, 488-496.
- Rao N.S. (2006)., Seasonal variation of groundwater quality in a part of Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh, India., Environ Geol., 49(3), 413-429.
- Majumdar D. and Gupta N. (2000)., Nitrate pollution of groundwater and associated human health disorders., Indian J Environ Health, 42(1), 28-39.
- Chattopadhyay S., Asa Rani L. and Sangeetha P.V. (2005)., Water quality variations as linked to land use pattern: A case study in Chalakudy river basin, Kerala., Curr. Sci., 89 (12), 2163-2169.
- Babu K.N., Padmalal D., Maya K., Sreeja R. and Arun P.R. (2007)., Quality of Surface and Groundwater Around Tile and Brick Clay Mines in the Chalakudy River Basin, South-western India., Geol. Soc. India, 69, 279-284.
- EEC (1980)., Council Directive of 15 July 1980 relating to the quality of water intended for human consumption (80/778/EEC)., Official journal of the European Commission, 229, 11-29.
- EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) (2003)., A summary of general assessment factors for evaluating the quality of scientific and technical information., Science Policy Council, Washington, DC. EPA 100/B-03/001. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/osa/spc/htm/assess2.pdf.
- UNESCO/WHO/UNEP (2001)., Water Quality Assessment- A Guide to Use Biota., Sediment and ISBN: 041921590, 10-14.