Assessment of water quality of the Nyando River (Muhoroni-Kenya) using the water quality index (WQI) method
- 1Maseno University, P.O. Box 333 - 40105, Maseno, Kenya
- 2Kaimosi Friends University College, P.O. Box 385-50309, Kaimosi, Kenya
- 3Multimedia University of Kenya, P.O. Box 15653-00503, Nairobi, Kenya
- 4CSI International Ltd, P.O. Box 47846-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
- 5The Technical University of Kenya, P.O. Box 52428-00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 8, Issue (2), Pages 27-33, April,22 (2019)
The quality of a river water is described by the levels of physico-chemical and microbiological parameters. The aim of the present work was to determine the water quality of NyandoRiver water from four sampling stations (Muhoroni, Homalime, Kipchui and Wasao) in Muhoroni sub-catchment area and calculate the water quality index (WQI). Physicochemical and microbiological parameters were determined in water samples following standard protocols. The findings were compared with the allowable limits as stipulated by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Kenya Standard (KS) for drinking water. The calculated Water Quality Indices (WQI) ranged from 51.88 to 101.13 lying between "poor water quality" and "unsuitable for drinking". It is determined that TVC, Fe and Mn represent the most effective water quality parameters for calculation of WQI in Nyando River.
- Gorde S.P. and Jadhav M.V. (2013)., Assessment of Water Quality Parameters: A Review., International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 3(6), 2029-2035.
- Sargaonkar A. and Deshpande V. (2003)., Development of an Overall Index of Pollution for Surface Water Based on a General Classification Scheme in Indian Context., Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 89(1), 43-67.
- Tsegaye T., Sheppard D., Islam K.R., Johnson A., Tadesse W., Atalay A. and Marzen L. (2006)., Development of chemical index as a measure of in stream water quality in responseto land use and land cover changes., Water Air Soil Pollut., 174, 161-179.
- Subramani T., Elango L., Srinivasalu S. and Marikio T. (2005)., Geological setting and groundwater chemistry in Chithar River basin, Tamil Nadu, India., J. Indian. Miner., 39, 108-119.
- Horton R.K. (1965)., An index number system for rating water quality., J. Water Pollut. Control Fed., 37(3), 300-306.
- Brown R.M., McClelland N.I., Deininger R.A. and Tozer R.G. (1970)., A water quality index-do we dare? Water Sew., Works, 117, 339-343.
- Abdul H.M.J.A., Bahram K.M. and Abass J.K. (2010)., Evaluating Raw and Treated Water Quality of Tigris River within Baghdad by Index Analysis., Journal of Water Resource and Protection, 2, 629-635.
- Taha H.A. and Zakyaria N.M.S. (2016)., Assessments of Water Quality index (WQI) For Tigris River in Mosul City/ North of Iraq., International Journal of Latest Research in Engineering and Technology, 2(8), 82-92.
- Ahaneku I.E. and Animashaun I.M. (2013)., Determination of water quality index of river Asa, Ilorin, Nigeria., Advanced Applied Scientific Research, 4(6), 277-284.
- Uddin M.N., Alam M.S., Mobin M.N. and Miah M.A. (2014)., An Assessment of the River Water Quality Parameter: A case of Jamuna River., Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 7(1), 249-256.
- Gor A. and Shah A. (2014)., Water Quality Index of Mahi River, Vadodara, Gujarat., International Journal of Engineering Development and Research, 2(3), 3214-3219.
- APHA (1998)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water, Sewage, and Wastewater., 20th Ed., Washington D.C., American Public Health Association.
- Sahu P. and Sikdar P.K. (2008)., Hydrochemical framework of the aquifer in and around East Kolkata wetlands, West Bengal, India., Environ. Geol., 55, 823-835.
- Varol S. and Davraz A. (2015)., Evaluation of the groundwater quality with WQI (Water Quality Index) and multivariate analysis: a case study of the Tefenni plain (Burdur/ Turkey)., Environ. Earth Sci., 73(4), 1725-1744.
- WHO (2008)., Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality., World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Cho I., Somerfield C. and Hilal N. (2013)., Odour Problems in Potable Water and its Treatment Options: a Review., International Review of Biophysical Chemistry (IREBIC), 4(6), 203-226.
- Göransson G., Larson M. and Bendz D. (2013)., Variation in turbidity with precipitation and flow in a regulated River system - river Göta älv, SW Sweden., Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17, 2529-2542.
- APHA (2005)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater., 21st Edition, American Public Health Association/American Water Works Association/ Water Environment Federation, Washington DC.
- Tinker S.C., Moe C.L., Klein M., Flanders W.D., Uber J., Amirtharajah A., Singer P. and Tolbert P.E. (2010)., Drinking water turbidity and emergency department visits for gastrointestinal illness in Atlanta, 1993-2004., Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology, 20(1), 19-28. http://doi.org/10.1038/jes.2008.68.
- Sugiura N. and Nakano K. (2000)., Causative microorganisms for musty odour occurrence the eutrophic lake Kasumigaura., Hydrobiologia, 434, 145-150.
- Amadi A.N., Olasehide P.I., Okosun E.A. and Yisa J. (2010)., Assessment of the water quality index of Otamiri and Oramiriukwa Rivers., Physics International, 2, 116-123.
- Ayoob S. and Gupta K. (2006)., Fluoride in drinking water: a review on the status and stress effects., Environmental Science and Technology, 36(6), 433-487.
- Egereonu U.U. and Nwachukwu U.L. (2005)., Evaluation of the surface and groundwater resources of Efuru River Catchment, Mbano, South Eastern, Nigeria., J. Assoc. Adv. Model. Simulat. Tech. Enterpr., 66, 53-71.
- Chinhanga J.R. (2010)., Impact of industrial effluent from an iron and steel company on the physico- chemical quality of Kikwe River in Zimbabwe., International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, 2(7), 129-140.
- Lee S.H., Levy D.A., Craun G.F., Beach M.J. and Calderon R.L. (2002)., Surveillance for waterborne-disease outbreaks--United States, 1999-2000., Morbidity and mortality weekly report. Surveillance summaries (Washington, DC: 2002), 51(8), 1-47.
- Wade T.J., Sams E., Brenner K.P., Haugland R., Chern E., Beach M., Wymer L., Rankin C.C., Love D., Li Q., Noble R. and Dufour A.P. (2010)., Rapidly measured indicators or recreational water quality and swimming-associated illness at marinebeaches: A prospective cohort study., Environ. Health, 9, 66.
- Fulford M.R., Walker J.T., Martin M.V. and Marsh P.D. (2004)., Total viable counts, ATP, and endotoxin levels as potential markers of microbial contamination of dental unit water systems., British Dental Journal, 196, 157-159.
- Dulo S.O. (2008)., Determination of some physico-chemical parameters of the Nairobi River, Kenya., Journal of Applied Science & Environmental Management, 12(1), 57-62.
- Tenge J.W., Lusweti J.K. and Ng'wena G.A.M. (2015)., Assessment of Drinking Water Quality from the Malakisi River in Western Kenya., International Journal of Innovative Research & Development, 4(4), 154-161.
- Bibi H., Ahmed F. and Ishiga H. (2007)., Assessment of metal concentrations in lake sediments of southwest Japan based on sediment quality guidelines., Environ. Geol., 52, 625-639.
- Iticescu C., Georgescu L.P. and Topa C.M. (2013)., Assessing the Danube water quality index in the city of Galati, Romania., Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences, 8(4), 155-164.
- Yan D., Werners S.E., Ludwig F. and Huang H.Q. (2015)., Hydrological response to climate change: The Pearl River, China under different RCP scenarios., Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 4, 228-245.
- Taye M.T., Willems P. and Block P. (2015)., Implications of climate change on hydrological extremes in the Blue Nile basin: a review., Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 4, 280-293.
- Devkota L.P. and Gyawali D.R. (2015)., Impacts of climate change on hydrological regime and water resources management of the Koshi River Basin, Nepal., Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 4, 502-515.