Comparative evaluation of nutritional compositions of Amaranthus cruentus L. and Amaranthus viridis L.
- 1Department of Biochemistry, Kings University, Odeomu, Nigeria and Department of Biochemistry, Osun State University, Osogbo, Nigeria
- 2Department of Biochemistry, Kings University, Odeomu, Nigeria
- 3Department of Biochemistry, Osun State University, Osogbo, Nigeria
- 4Department of Biochemistry, Kings University, Odeomu, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (9), Pages 16-19, September,22 (2018)
Leafy vegetables are renowned as rich sources of phyto compounds with healthful and nutritional properties. The culinary and therapeutic properties of leafy vegetables are believed to be influenced by factors such as genetic properties and species diversity. The current study evaluated the nutrient compositions of two different species of amaranth: AmaranthuscruentusL. and Amaranthus viridis L. The proximate compositions of the macro-nutrients was carried out using the standard AOAC methods while the mineral contents were estimated through atomic absorption spectrometry. The results showed that the different species of amaranth had similar proximate composition but the mineral components were significantly different (P<0.05). The study inferred that the species of amaranth could serve as good sources of nutrients for human consumption.
- Nwozo S.O., Oso B.J. and Oyinloye E.B. (2015)., Effect of Heat on Antioxidant Activity of Some Tropical Leafy Vegetables., Nigerian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, 23(2), 93-101.
- Ames B.N., Shigenaga M.K. and Hagen T.M. (1993)., Oxidants, antioxidant, and the degenerative diseases of aging., Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 90, 7915-7922.
- Joshipura K.J., Ascherio A., Manson J.E., Stampfer M.J., Rimm E.B., Speizer F.E., Hennekens C.H., Spiegelman D. and Willett W.C. (1999)., Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke., J. Am. Med. Assoc., 282, 1233-1239.
- Glade M.J. (1997)., Food, Nutrition and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective., American Institute for Cancer Research, Washington, D.C., USA., 504-523.
- Oso B.J., Boligon A.A. and Oladiji A.T. (2018)., Metabolomic profiling of ethanolic extracts of the fruit of Xylopiaaethiopica (Dunal) A. Rich using Gas Chromatography and High-Performance Liquid Chromatography techniques., Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 7(1), 2083-2090.
- Berti C., Riso P., Brusamolino A. and Porrini M. (2005)., Effect on appetite control of minor cereal and pseudocereal products., British Journal of Nutrition, 94, 850-858.
- Van der Vossen HAM, Denton O.A. and El Tahir I.M. (2004)., Citrullus lanatus. In: Grubben GJH, Denton OA (eds) Plant resources of tropical Africa., 2. Vegetables. CTA, Wageningen, The Netherlands; Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands, 185-191.
- Tucker J.B. (1986)., Amaranth: the once and future crop., Bioscience, 36, 9-13.
- AOAC (2005)., Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemist., 18th Ed. Washington D.C.
- Kirk S.R. and Sawyer R. (1991)., Pearson's composition and Analysis of foods., 9th edn., Longman Scientific and Technical, UK.
- Kariuki S., Sila D. and Kenji G. (2013)., Nutritional Profile of Amaranth Grain Varieties Grown in Kenya., Journal of Food Science and Quality Management, 17, 19-24.
- Akin-Idowu P.E., Odunola O.A., Gbadegesin M.A., Ademoyegun O.T., Aduloju A.O. and Olagunju Y.O. (2017)., Nutritional evaluation of Five Species of Grain Amaranth - An Underutilized Crop., International Journal of Sciences, 6(1), 18-27.
- FAO (1996)., Agriculture and food security: developments since the World Food Conference and prospects., World Food Summit technical background documents, 1, Rome.
- Barta A.J. and Tibbitts T.W. (1991)., Calcium localisation in lettuce leaves with and without tipburn: comparison of controlled-environment and field-grown plants., J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 116(5), 870-875.
- Adams P. and Ho L.C. (1993)., Effects of environment on the uptake and distribution of calcium in tomato and on the incidence of blossom-end rot., Plant & Soil, 154, 127-132.
- Huskisson E., Maggini S. and Ruf M. (2007)., The role of vitamins and minerals in energy metabolism and well-being., J. Int. Med. Res., 35, 277-289.
- Bo S. and Pisu E. (2008)., Role of dietary magnesium in cardiovascular disease prevention, insulin sensitivity and diabetes, . Curr. Opin. Lipidol., 19, 50-56.
- Romani A.M. (2013)., Magnesium in health and disease., Met Ions Life Sci., 13, 49-79.
- Sobotka L., Allison S. and Stanga Z. (2008)., Basics in clinical nutrition: Water and electrolytes in health and disease., Clinical Nutrition e-SPEN., 3, 259-266.
- Grusak M.A. and Cakmak I. (2005)., Methods to improve the crop delivery of minerals to human and livestock., in: Broadley M.R., White P.J. (Eds.), Plant Nutritional Genomics, Blackwel, 265-286.
- Shenkin A. (2008)., Basics in clinical nutrition: Physiological function and deficiency states of trace elements., Clinical Nutrition e-SPEN., 3, 255-258.
- Osredkar J. and Sustar N. (2011)., Copper and zinc, biological role and significance of copper/zinc imbalance., Journal of Clinical Toxicology, 3, 2161.
- Palacios C. (2006)., The role of nutrients in bone health, from A to Z, . Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition., 46(8), 621-628.
- Silva D., Luiz P.R. and Aschner M. (2013)., Manganese in health and disease., In: A. Sigel, H. Sigel, R. K. O. Sigel, (Ed.), Interrelations between Essential Metal Ions and Human Diseases. Metal Ions in Life Sciences, 3(7), 199-227.
- Poonkothai M. and Vijayavathi S. (2012)., Nickel as an essential element and a toxicant., International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 1(4), 285-288.
- Martínez-Ballesta M.C., Dominguez-Perles R., Moreno D.A., Muries B., Alcaraz-Lopez C., Bastías E., García-Viguera C. and Carvajal M. (2010)., Minerals in plant food: effect of agricultural practices and role in human health. A review., Agron. Sustain. Dev., 30, 295-309.