Net primary production of the river Buriganga, Bangladesh
- 1Department of Environmental Science and Technology, Jessore Science and Technology University, Jessore-7400, Bangladesh
- 2JICA Human Development Television Project Office in Bangladesh, Television Bhaban, Rampura, Dhaka-1219, Bangladesh
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 30-33, August,22 (2018)
Incubation experiments were carried out on-board under natural illumination condition to the assessment of net primary production of the river Buriganga. The net primary production (NPP) of the river Buriganga were found 147.73 ± 1.8 µgCm-2d-1 and 66.48 ± 1.9 µgCm-2d-1 in day-1 of wet and dry season respectively. The productivity was gradually decreased by time during the incubation period. The net primary productivity of the river were very small unit due to heavy pollution by the chemical and organic wastes. The concentration of dissolved oxygen (DO) in this water body were very low which is so difficult to survival of aquatic life in water of Buriganga.
- Roy J., Saugier B. and Mooney H.A. (2001)., Terrestrial Global Productivity., Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Francis C.H. (1994)., Accumulation and disponibilidad de metals pesados en suelosregados con agusresidualses en Distrito de Riego 03, Tula, Hgo. Rev., International Contamination Ambient, 10, 15-21.
- Islam M.M., Akhtar M.K. and Masud M.S. (2006)., Prediction of environmental flow to improve the water quality in the river Buriganga., In Proceedings of the 17th IASTED International Conference on Modelling and Simulation, Montreal, QC, Canada.
- Libes S.M. (1992)., Organic matter: Production and destruction. Introduction to marine biogeochemistry., Academic Press, California, 129-141.
- Saha M.L., Khan M.R., Ali M. and Hoque S. (2009)., Bacterial load and chemical pollution level of the River Buriganga, Dhaka, Bangladesh., Bangladesh Journal of Botany, 38(1), 87-91.
- Saifullah A.S.M., Kabir M.H., Khatun A., Roy S. and Sheikh M.S. (2012)., Investigation of some water quality parameters of the Buriganga River., Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 5(2), 47-52.
- Rahman M.R. and Rana M.Y. (1996)., Pollution Assimilation Capacity of Buriganga River., J. of Civil Eng., 24(1), 85-95.
- Khan M.A.I., Hossain A.M., Huda M.E., Islam M.S. and Elahi S.F. (2007)., Physico-chemical and biological aspects of monsoon waters of Ashulia for economic and aesthetic applications: Preliminary studies., Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 42(4), 377-396.
- Hasan M.K., Hasan M.K. and Hossain A. (2013)., A comparative study of water quality in the peripheral rivers of Dhaka city., Dhaka Univ. J. Biol. Sci, 22(2), 127-136.