Paracetamol and Ibuprofen effect on seed quality attributes of Triticum aestivum (Wheat)
- 1Institute of Environmental Studies, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana-136119, India
- 2Institute of Environmental Studies, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana-136119, India
- 3Institute of Environmental Studies, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana-136119, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (7), Pages 44-48, July,22 (2018)
Pharmaceutical industries are increasing day by day due to increase in demands and need of medicines. The wastewater generated from these industries has organic and inorganic chemical compounds that cause many hazards to environment and disturb the ecological niche of living organisms. A laboratory scale experiment was conducted to find out the effect of synthetic solutions of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen on wheat seeds under laboratory conditions. After seven days, different growth parameters like per cent seed germination, vigour index (VI), shoot and root length, chlorophyll (Chl) content and dry and fresh weight were analyzed. The research indicates that synthetic solution of both the pharmaceutics i.e. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen has varying effect on different wheat seed growth parameters. It is therefore recommended that industrial effluents with such type of pharmaceutics must be treated before being disposed into the environment.
- Arumugam K. (2007)., Impact of pharmaceutical factory effluent on seed germination and seedling growth of five varieties of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea)., Journal of Ecotoxicology and Environmental Monitoring, 17(3), 245.
- Alturkmani A. (2004)., Industrial wastewater., Available at:http://www.4enveng.com.(accessed on 05.04.2018)
- Otokunefor T.V. and Obiukwu C. (2005)., Impact of refinery effluent on the physicochemical properties of a water body in the Niger delta., Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, 3(1), 61-72.
- Konwar D. and Jha D.K. (2010)., Response of rice (Oryza sativa L.) to contamination of soil with refinery effluents under natural conditions., Assam University Journal of Science and Technology, 5(1), 14-22.
- Abegunrin T.P., Adegbola S.O., Adejumobi M.A., Awe G. O., Ojediran J.O. and Ojo A.A. (2015)., Soil hydrophobicity and crop evapotranspiration of two indigenous vegetables under different wastewater irrigations in southwest Nigeria., African Journal of Agricultural Research, 10(5), 365-372.
- Monjunatha N. (2008)., Effect of industrial effluents on seed quality attributes of cereal crops (Doctoral dissertation, UAS, Dharwad).,
- Gadipelly C., Pérez-González A., Yadav G.D., Ortiz I., Ibáñez R., Rathod V.K. and Marathe K.V. (2014)., Pharmaceutical industry wastewater: review of the technologies for water treatment and reuse., Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 53(29), 11571-11592.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2011)., Pharmaceuticals in Drinking-Water., Available at: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/2011/pharmaceuticals_20110601.pdf (accessed on 06.12.2017)
- Ryu A. (2013)., Pharmaceutical pollution of water in India: international market failure., Harvard Health Policy Review, 14, 25-28.
- Larsson D.J., de Pedro C. and Paxeus N. (2007)., Effluent from drug manufactures contains extremely high levels of pharmaceuticals., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 148(3), 751-755.
- Rodriguez-Mozaz S. and Weinberg H.S. (2010)., Meeting report: pharmaceuticals in water-an interdisciplinary approach to a public health challenge., Environmental health perspectives, 118(7), 1016-1020.
- Bushra R. and Aslam N. (2010)., An overview of clinical pharmacology of ibuprofen., Oman Medical Journal, 25(3), 155-161.
- Rehman S., Harris P.J.C. and Bourne W.F. (1998)., Effects of presowing treatment with calcium salts, potassium salts, or water on germination and salt tolerance of Acacia seeds., Journal of Plant Nutrition, 21(2), 277-285.
- Kabir M., Iqbal M.Z., Shafiq M. and Farooqi Z.R. (2008)., Reduction in germination and seedling growth of Thespesia populnea L., caused by lead and cadmium treatments., Pakistan Journal of Botany, 40(6), 2419-2426.
- Abdul-Baki A.A. and Anderson J.D. (1973)., Vigor determination in soybean seed by multiple criteria 1., Crop Science, 13(6), 630-633.
- Sadasivam S. and Manikam A. (1992)., Total carbohydrate by anthrone method., Biochemical Methods for Agricultural Sciences Wiley Eastern limited and Tamil Nadu Agricultural University publication.
- Dhevagi P. and Oblisami G. (2000)., Effect of paper mill effluent on germination of agricultural crops., Journal of Ecobiology, 12(4), 243-249.
- Kannan J. (2001)., Effect of distillery effluents on crop plants., Advances in Plant Sciences, 14(1), 127-132.
- Kaushik P., Garg V.K. and Singh B. (2005)., Effect of textile effluents on growth performance of wheat cultivars., Bioresource Technology, 96(10), 1189-1193.
- Kapustka L.A. (1997)., Selection of phytotoxicity tests for use in ecological risk assessments.,
- Sharma H.R. and Malan A. (2017)., Effect of paracetamol and ibuprofen on morphological parameters and chlorophyll content of Vigna radiata (Green Gram)., Environment and We: An International Journal of Science and Technology, 12(4), 99-108.
- Sheela D. and Das M.S. (2004)., Effect of KSDP Effluent on Abelmoschus esculentus L., Geobios-Jodhpur, 31(2/3), 155-157.