Seasonal variation in the physico-chemical variables of Western Himalayan Sacred Lake Prashar, Himachal Pradesh, India
- 1Dept. of Environmental Sciences, H.N.B. Garhwal University (A Central University), Post Box-67, Srinagar-Garhwal 246174, Uttarakhand, India
- 2Dept. of Environmental Sciences, H.N.B. Garhwal University (A Central University), Post Box-67, Srinagar-Garhwal 246174, Uttarakhand, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (7), Pages 29-36, July,22 (2018)
A study was conducted to evaluate the 12 physico- chemicals variables of Prashar lake. The sample were collected from three different sampling sites (S1, S2, and S3) for the periods of two years. The variables included water temperature, pH, conductivity, Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), Dissolved Oxygen, Biochemical oxygen demand, Calcium, Magnesium, Total Hardness, Chlorides, Nitrates, Phosphates were analyzed by following standard methods. Five seasons were covered during the study which includes winter (November- February), spring (March-April), summer (May-June), monsoon (July-August) and autumn (September-October). Dissolved Oxygen and pH observed maximum during the winter season, where as conductivity, TDS and BOD were observed maximum during summer season. Nitrates and Phosphates observed maximum during monsoon season.
- Bhateria R. and Jain D. (2016)., Water quality assessment of lake water: a review., Sustain Water Resour. Manag., 2(2), 161-173.
- Mosello R., Lami A., Marchetto A., Rogora M., Wathne B., Lien L., Catalan J., Camarero L., Ventura M., Psenner R., Koinig K., Thies H., Sommaruga-Wögrath S., Nickus U., Tait D., Thaler B., Barbieri A. and Harriman R. (2002)., Trends in the water chemistry of high altitude lakes in Europe., Water, Air and soil pollut. Focus, 2, 75-89.
- Karakoc G., Erkoc F.U. and Katircioglu H. (2003)., Water quality and Impacts of Pollution Sources for Eymir and Mogan Lakes (Turkey)., Environment International, 29(1), 21-27.
- Muvanga and Barifaijo (2006)., Impact of industrial activites on heavy metals and physico-chemical effects on wetlands of Lake Victoris basin (Uganda)., Afric. Jour. Sci. and Tec., 7(1), 51-63.
- Hameed A.M., Alboidy M.J., Abid S.H. and Maulood K.B. (2010)., Application of water quality index for assessment of Dokan lake ecosystem, Kurdistan region, Iraq., J. Water Resour Prot., 2, 792-798.
- Prasanna M.V., Chidambaram S., Gireesh T.V. and Ali J.V.T. (2012)., A study on hydrochemical characteristics of surface and sub-surface water in and around Perumal Lake, Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu, South India., Environ Earth Sci., 63, 31-47.
- Vandeberg G.S., Dixon C.S., Vose B. and Fisher M.R. (2015)., Spatial assessment of water quality in the vicinity of Lake Alice National Wildlife Refuge, Upper Devils Lake Basin, North Dakota., Environ Monit Assess., 187, 40.
- French M., Alem N., Edwards S.J., Coariti E.B., Cauthin H., Hudson-Edwards K.A. and Miranda O.S. (2017)., Community Exposure and Vulnerability to Water Quality and Availability: A Case Study in the Mining-Affected Pazña Municipality, Lake Poopó Basin, Bolivian Altiplano., Environmental Management, 60(4), 555-573.
- Sedamkar E. and Angadi S.B. (2003)., Physico-chemical parameters of two fresh waterbodies of gulbarga-India, with special reference to phytoplankton., Pollution research, 22(3), 411-422.
- Devaraju T.M., Venkatesha M.G. and Singh S. (2005)., Studies on physicochemical parameters of Muddur lake with reference to suitability for aquaculture., Nat. Environ. Poll. Tech., 4(2), 287-290.
- Ambastha K., Hussain S.A. and Badola R. (2007)., Social and economic considerations in conserving wetlands of indo-genetic plains: A case study of Kabartal wetland, India., Environmentalist, 27, 261-273.
- Singh J., Upadhyay S.K., Pathak R.K. and Gupta V. (2011)., Accumulation of heavy metals in soil and paddy crop (Oryza sativa), irrigated with water of Ramgarh Lake, Gorakhpur, U.P., India., Toxicol. Environ. Chem., 93(3), 462-473.
- Chardhry P., Sharma M.P., Bhargava R., Kumar S. and Dadhwal P.J.S. (2013)., Water quality assessment of Sukhna Lake of Chandigarh city of India., Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment, 12, 26-31.
- Singh S.K. and Mannan S. (2017)., Spatial and Temporal Analysis of Water Quality Parameters of a Himalayan Lake (Dal Lake) by Multivariate Statistical Analysis., Int. J. Adv. Res., 5(1), 135-147.
- Babu Y.S. and Mohan M.R. (2018)., A Study on Physico- Chemical Parameters of Errarajan Lake of Bangalore Rural., International journal of Science Research, 7(2), 401-402.
- Das B.K. and Kaur P. (2001)., Major ion chemistry of Renuka Lake and weathering processes, Sirmaur District, Himachal Pradesh, India., Environmental Geology, 40(7), 908-917.
- Das B.K. and Dhiman S.C. (2003)., Water and sediment chemistry of Higher Himalayan lakes in the Spiti Valley: control on weathering, provenance and tectonic setting of the basin., Environ. Geol., 44(6), 717-730.
- Kumar A., Rawat S., Shrivastava M. and Bhushan V. (2012)., Physico-Chemical Analysis and Isolation of Bacteria from Water Samples of Maharana Pratap Sagar, Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh., Journal of Applied sciences in Environmental sanitation, 7(3), 161-166.
- Sharma V. and Walia Y.K. (2015)., Water Quality Assessment Using Physico-Chemical Parameters and Heavy Metals of Gobind Sagar Lake, Himachal Pradesh (India)., Current world environment, 10(3), 967-974.
- Sharma I., Dhanze R. and Rana P. (2017)., Studied the physico-chemical parameters of lentic water bodies from Mid- Himalayan region (H.P.), India., International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, 5(2), 674-678.
- Gaury P.K., Meena N.K. and Mahajan A.K. (2018)., Hydrochemistry and water quality of Rewalsar Lake of Lesser Himalaya, Himachal Pradesh, India., Environ Monit Assess., 190, 84.
- Kumar K.V., Rai S.P. and Sinagh O. (2006)., Water Quantity and Quality of Mansar Lake Located in the Himalayan Foothills, India., Lake and Reservoir Management, 22(3), 191-198.
- Sharma R.C. and Kumari R. (2018)., Traditional medicinal Plants and belifs system of sacred lake Prashar, Himachal Pradesh, India., International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 7(3), 46-51.
- Wetzel R.G. and Likens G.E. (1991)., Limnological Analyses., Second ed. Springer, New York, 1-175.
- APHA (1998)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Waste Water., American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, 1-1368.
- Spellman F.R. and Drinan J.E. (2012)., The drinking water handbook., 2nd edn, ISBN: 978-1-4398-6690.
- Mishra S.P. and Saksena D.N. (1993)., Planktonic fauna in relation to physico-chemical fauna in relation to physic-chemical characteristics of Gauri Tank at Bhind, M.P. India., Advances in limnoligy, Narendra Publishing House, New, 57-61.
- Sivasankar V. and Gomathi R. (2009)., Fluoride and other Quality Parameters in the Groundwater Samples of Pettaivaithalai and Kulithalai Areas of Tamil Nadu, Southern India., Water Qual Expo Health, 1, 123-134.
- Garg R.K., Rao R.J., Uchchariya D., Shukala G. and Saksena D.N. (2010)., Seasonal variation in water quality and major threats to Ramsagar reservoir, India., African Joun.of Environ.Sci.and Tech., 4(2), 61-76.
- Sharma R.K. and Rathore V. (2000)., Pollution ecology with reference to commercially important fisheries prospect in rural based water body: The lake Sarsal Nawar, Etawah in U.P. (India)., Poll. Res., 19(4), 641-644.
- Jemi R.J. and Balasingh G.S.R. (2011)., Studies on Physico-chemical characteristics of freshwater temple ponds in Kanyakumari district (South Tamilnadu)., International Journal of Geology, Earth and Environmental Sciences, 1, 59-62.
- Qumerunnisa (1985)., Ecology of freshwater ciliates., Ph.D. thesis, Marathwada University, Aurangabad.
- Kazi T.G., Arain M.B., Jamali M.K., Jalbani N., Afridi H.I., Sarfraz R.A., Baig J.A. and Shah A.Q. (2009)., Assessment of water quality of polluted lake using multivariate statistical techniques: A case study., Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 72(2), 301-309.
- Das A.K. (2000)., Limno-Chemistry of some Andra Pradesh reservoirs., J Inland Fish. Soc. India, 32, 37-44.
- Rawat M.S. and Sharma R.C. (2005)., Phytoplankton population of Garhwal Himalayam Lake Deoria Tal, Uttranchal., J. Ecophysiol. Occupat. Health, 5, 73-76.
- Tewari D.D. and Mishra S.M. (2005)., Limnological study during rainy season of Seetadwar Lake at Shrawasti District., J. Ecophysiol. Occupat. Health, 5, 71-72.
- Naz M. and Turkmen M. (2005)., Phytoplankton Biomass and Species Composition of Lake Golbasi (Hatay-Turkey)., Turk J. Biol., 29, 49-56.
- Wetzel R.G. (1983)., Limnology., 2nd Edition, Saunders College Publishing, Philadelphia.
- Dhanalakshmi V., Shanthi K. and Remia K.M. (2013)., Physicochemical study of eutrophic pond in Pollachi town, Tamilnadu, India., Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci., 2(12), 219-227.
- Indresha G.N. and Patra A.K. (2014)., Seasonal Variations in the Physico-chemical parameters of Kanjia Lake., Life Sci. Leaflets, 47, 55-64.
- Adebisi A.A. (1981)., The physicochemical hydrology of a tropical seasonal river upper Ogun river., Hydrobiologia, 79(2), 157-165.
- Kataria H.C., Singh A. and Pandey S.C. (2006)., Studies on water Quality of Dahod Dam, India., Poll. Res., 25(3), 553-556.
- Mustapha M.K. (2008)., Assessment of the water quality of Oyun Reservoir, Offa, Nigeria, using selected physico-chemical parameters., Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 8(2), 309-319.
- Khan M.A.G. and Choudhary S.H. (1994)., Physical and chemical limnology of lake Kaptai: Bangladesh., Tropical Ecology, 35(1), 35-51.