Studies on the seasonal variations of ground water quality in Lefunga block of West Tripura District, Tripura, India
- 1Department of Chemistry, Tripura University, Suryamaninagar, Tripura West-799022, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Tripura University, Suryamaninagar, Tripura West-799022, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, Tripura University, Suryamaninagar, Tripura West-799022, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (6), Pages 25-33, June,22 (2018)
Our present work is to find out the suitability of groundwater for drinking and irrigational purposes within the Lefunga block of west Tripura district, Tripura and also to evaluate their seasonal variation. Water samples have been collected from ten different spots of Lefunga block. Collected groundwater samples from the study area have been analysed for the determination of some physical parameters like pH, EC, TDS along with vital cations and anions like Ca, Mg, Na, K, Fe, Cl, HCO3, SO4 and F etc. The obtained analytical data of water samples in Lefunga block suggest that the quality of water is within the standard limits of WQI categorization and acceptable for drinking purposes both in pre and post-monsoon seasons except one location having high level of iron content. Based on the analytical data, different water quality indices like sodium percentage (Na %), Sodium Absorption Ratio (SAR), Magnesium Hazard (MH), Permeability Index (PI) and Kelly's ratio (KR) have been measured for the suitability irrigational purposes. The calculated water quality indices reveal that the groundwater of Lefunga block is suitable for agricultural purpose for both the seasons.
- Shanthi N., Elamvaluthi M., Kotteswari M. and Murugesan S. (2016)., Assessment of groundwater quality in and around Thiruvallur district, Tamilnadu., Int. J. Env. Sci, 6(5), 883-893.
- Sharma P.K., Vijay R. and Punia M.P. (2015)., Characterization of groundwater quality of Tonk District, Rajasthan, India using factor analysis., Int. J. Env. Sci, 6(4), 454-466.
- Prasanth S.V., Mangesh N.S., Jiteshlal K.V., Chandrasekhar N. and Gangadhar K. (2012)., Evaluation of groundwater quality and its suitability for drinking and agricultural use in the coastal stretch of Alappuzha District, Kerala, India., App .Wat. Sci, 2, 165-175.
- Srinivas Y., Oliver D.H., Raj A.S. and Chandrasekar N. (2014)., Quality assessment and hydrogeochemical characteristics of groundwater in Agastheeswaram taluk, Kanyakumari district, Tamil Nadu, India., Chin. J. Geo, 33(3), 221-235.
- Kumaresan A. and Vaithyanathan C. (2017)., Evaluation of groundwater quality near the salt-pans of Kanyakumari and Tuticorin Districts, Tamilnadu, India., Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res, 10(4), 327-333.
- Ramamohan H., Sudhakar I., Suresh P.P. and Udayasree A. (2016)., Assessment and substantiation of ground water quality to ascertain WQI in some selected areas of north east coast of Srikakulam district, A.P, India., Int. J. Env. Sci, 6(5), 867-882.
- Sharda S., Brar K.K., Kaur G. and Madhuri R.S. (2015)., Assessment of groundwater quality in relation to agricultural purposes in parts of Ludhiana District, Punjab, India., Int. J. Env. Sci, 5(4), 802-813.
- Kumar N., Kumar S. and Singh D.P. (2015)., Ground water quality evaluation at suburban areas of Lucknow, U.P., India., Int. J. Env. Sci, 6(3), 376-387.
- Selvakumar S., Ramkumar K., Chandrasekar N., Magesh N.S. and Kaliraj S. (2017)., Groundwater quality and its suitability for drinking and irrigational use in the southern Tiruchirrapalli district, Tamilnadu, India., App .Wat. Sci, 7, 411-420.
- Paul R., Das S., Nag S.K. and Singh M.K. (2016)., Deciphering Groundwater Quality for Drinking and Irrigation Purposes -A Study in Lefunga Block of West Tripura District, Tripura, India., J. Earth. Sci. Clim. Change, 7(12), 1-5.
- APHA (2012)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater., Washington DC 22nd edition.
- Shenoy K.N., Ananya H.M. and Inchara R. (2016)., Quality of open well water in Udupi municipal area, Karnataka, India., J. Env. Res. Develop, 11(1), 43-51.
- Kumar D.L., Sateesh K., Raj S.P., Satyanarayana E. and Edukondal A. (2015)., Assessment of Groundwater quality and its suitability for drinking and irrigation purposes in Maheshwaram area, Ranga Reddy District, Telangana State, India., J. Env. Res. Develop, 9(3), 523-529.
- Jalal F.N. and Sanal Kumar M.G. (2013)., Water quality assessment of Pampa River in relation to Pilgrimage season., Int. J. Res. Chem. Env, 3(1), 341-347.
- Tiwari A.K., Singh P.K. and Mahato M.K. (2016)., Hydrogeochemical investigation and qualitative assessment of surface water resources in West Bokaro coalfield, India., J. Geol. Soc. Ind, 87(6), 85-96.
- WHO (2011)., Guidelines for Drinking Water., World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Ikechukwu B.I. and Ifiok E.U. (2013)., Assessment of the Groundwater Quality in Parts of Imo River Basin, Southeastern Nigeria: The Case of Imo Shale and Ameki Formations., J. Wat. Res. Prot, 5, 715-722.
- Sharma S. and Chhipa R.C. (2013)., Interpretation of ground water quality parameter for selected area of Jaipur using regression and correlation analysis., J. Sci. Ind. Res, 72, 781-783.
- Noothi S.C., Venkateswar Reddya B., Naik. Avinash J.K. and Yahaya A.K. (2017)., Analysis of Water for the Presence of Pollutants by using Physicochemical Parameter in Control Water, Polluted and Treated Hussainsagar Lake Water, Hyderabad, Telangana, India., Int. J. Sci. Res. Sci. Tech, 3(6), 377-386.
- Standard I. (2012)., Bureau of Indian Standard Drinking Water Specification., Second Revision, Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhawan, 9, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi.
- Sridharan M. and Nathan D.S. (2017)., Groundwater quality assessment for domestic and agriculture purposes in Puducherry region., Applied Water Science, 7(7), 4037-4053. DOI 10.1007/s13201-017-0556-y.
- Nag S.K. and Lahiri A. (2012)., Hydrochemical Characteristics of Groundwater for Domestic and Irrigation Purposes in Dwarakeswar Watershed Area, India., Amer. J. Clim. Change, 1, 217-230.
- Ramakrishna C.H., Rao D.M., Rao K.S. and Srinivas N. (2009)., Studies on groundwater quality in slums of Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh., Asian J. Chem, 21(6), 4246-4250.
- Samahajira S. and Annal C.F. (2017)., Evaluation of groundwater quality for irrigation purpose in Rediyarchatram block of Dindigul district, Tamil Nadu, India., Int. Res. J. Env. Sci, 6(5), 34-39.
- Todd D.K. (1980)., Ground water hydrogeology.,
- Singh E.J., Singh N.R. and Gupta A. (2017)., Hydrochemistry of groundwater and quality assessment of Manipur Valley, Manipur, India., Int. Res. J. Env. Sci, 6(9), 8-18.
- Szabolcs I. and Darab C. (1964)., The influence of irrigation water of high sodium carbonate content of soils., Proceedings of 8th International Congress of ISS, Trans, II, 803-812.
- Tahlawi M.R.E., Mohamed M.A., Boghdadi G.Y., Rabeiy R.E. and Saleem H.A. (2014)., Groundwater Quality Assessment to Estimate its Suitability for Different Uses in Assiut Governorate, Egypt., Int. J. Rec. Tech. Eng, 3(5), 53-61.
- Doneen L.D. (1964)., Notes on water quality in agriculture. Published as a Water Science and Engineering Paper 4001., Department of Water Science and Eng, University of California, Devis.