Water quality index of Thol Wetland, Mehsana, Gujarat, India
- 1Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Sector 10-A, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- 2Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (6), Pages 19-24, June,22 (2018)
The Water Quality Index (WQI) of the Thol Wetland was calculated based on water quality parameters like pH, Conductivity, Total Dissolved Solids, Phosphate, Alkalinity - as CaCO3, Total Hardness as CaCO3, Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, % Sodium, Sodium Absorption Ratio, Chloride and Sulphate. Physico chemical parameters of water samples were analyzed for summer, monsoon and winter seasons during the year 2015- 2016. The study included sampling and its analysis of water samples, parameter rating and water quality determination. WQI is calculated in context with the basic usage of Thol Wetland water viz. irrigation and propagation of wildlife.
- Alobaidy A.H.M.J., Abid H.S. and Maulood B.K. (2010)., Application of water quality index for assessment of Dokan lake ecosystem, Kurdistan region, Iraq., Journal of water resource and protection, 2(9), 792-798.
- Gor A. and Shah A. (2014)., Water quality index of Mahi River, Vadodara, Gujarat., International Journal of Engineering Development and Research, 2(3), 3214-3219. Standard Methods for Water and Waste Water Analysis, 21st edition, 2005, APHA, AWWA, WEF.
- Sharma S. and Reddy A.S. (2013)., Development of water quality indices for designated best uses of surface water body., International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology, 2(5), 82-93.
- Singh S., Ghosh N.C., Krishan G., Galkate R. and Thomas T. (2015)., Development of an Overall Water Quality Index for Surface Water in Indian Context., Current World Environment, 10(3), 813-822.
- Kamboj R.D. and Tatu K. (2017)., Important Wetland Destinations of Gujarat - A guide for ecotourists to explore some wetland jewels in Gujarat., Gujarat Ecological Education and Research (GEER) Foundation, Gandhinagar.
- Principal Chief Conservator of Forest and Head of the Forest Force Govn. of Gujarat (2017). https://forests.gujarat.gov.in, accessed on 21.12.2016 and 08.01.2018., undefined, undefined
- Guidelines for Water Quality Monitoring (2007), Central Pollution Control Board, MINARS/27/2007-08., undefined, undefined
- Water Environmental Federation, APH Association (2005)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater., 21st edition, APHA, AWWA, WEF.
- Parikh A.N. and Mankodi P.C. (2011)., Water Quality Assessment of Harni Pond of Vadodara (Gujarat)., Electronic Journal of Environmental Sciences, 4, 55-59.
- Primary water quality criteria for various uses of fresh waters (1978), Central Pollution Control Board, New Delhi, ADSORBS/3/1978-79., undefined, undefined
- Qureshimatva U.M., Maurya R.R., Gamit S.B., Patel R.D. and Solanki H.A. (2015)., Determination of physico-chemical parameters and water quality index (WQI) of Chandlodia lake, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India., J. Environ. Anal. Toxicol, 5(4), 1-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2161-0525.1000288.
- Raychaudhuri Mausumi, Raychaudhuri S., Jena S.K., Kumar Ashwani and Srivastava R.C. (2014)., WQI to Monitor Quality for Irrigation and Potable Use., DWM Bulletin No. 71 Directorate of Water Management, Bhubaneshwar, India, 43.
- Ramakrishnaiah C.R., Sadashivaiah C. and Ranganna G. (2009)., Assessment of water quality index for the groundwater in Tumkur Taluk, Karnataka State, India., Journal of Chemistry, 6(2), 523-530.
- Bala G. and Mukherjee A. (2010)., Water Quality Index of Some Wetlands in Nadia District, West Bengal, India., International Journal of Lakes and Rivers, 4(1), 21-26.
- Guidelines for the Quality of Irrigation Water, Bureau of Indian Standards,IS: 11624-1986., undefined, undefined
- Yogendra K. and Puttaiah E.T. (2008)., Determination of water quality index and suitability of an urban water body in Shimoga Town, Karnataka., In Proceedings of Taal 2007: The 12th world lake conference, 342-346.
- Maia C.E. and Rodrigues K.K.R.D.P. (2012)., Proposal for an index to classify irrigation water quality: a case study in northeastern Brazil., Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo, 36(3), 823-830.
- Dhembare A.J. (2012)., Assessment of water quality indices for irrigation of Dynaneshwar Dam water, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India., Archives of Applied Science Research, 4(1), 348-352.
- Stoner J.D. (1978)., Water-quality indices for specific water uses., Department of the Interior, Geological Survey.