Assessment of water quality parameters in and off Vadinar and Sikka, Gulf of Kachchh, India
- 1Division of Coastal and Marine Ecology, Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology, Mundra Road, Bhuj-370001, Kachchh, Gujarat, India
- 2Division of Coastal and Marine Ecology, Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology, Mundra Road, Bhuj-370001, Kachchh, Gujarat, India
- 3Division of Coastal and Marine Ecology, Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology, Mundra Road, Bhuj-370001, Kachchh, Gujarat, India
- 4Division of Coastal and Marine Ecology, Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology, Mundra Road, Bhuj-370001, Kachchh, Gujarat, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 12-18, May,22 (2018)
Water quality parameters in and off Vadinar and Sikka have been assessed thoroughly in the intertidal and subtidal areas of Vadinar coast during the year 2016. Since the southern coast of Gulf of Kachchh is a hub of industries like petroleum refineries, fertilizer industries, cement industries and the effluents from these industries are being mixed with the offshore waters of GoK, four different locations were selected including 2 intertidal and 2 subtidal. The study was conducted for a period of one year during January 2016 to December 2016. The average pH was 7.8, temperature 29.36, salinity 39.27, total dissolved solids 39.86, total suspended solids 106.68, dissolved oxygen 5.93, biological oxygen demand 2.46, chemical oxygen demand 33.09, petroleum hydrocarbons 2.3 and phenolic compounds 0.4 were recorded in the present study. Also the current scenario is compared with the prevailing conditions of Gulf of Kachchh.
- NIO Tech Report. (2009)., Marine Environmental Impact Assessment for Discharge Channel of 4000 MW Ultra Mega Power Project Near Mundra., Gulf of Kachchh. NIO/SP-14/2009.
- Shirodkar P.V., Pradhan U.K., Fernandes D., Haldankar S.R. and Rao G.S. (2010)., Influence of anthropogenic activities on the existing environmental conditions of Kandla Creek (Gulf of Kutch)., Current Science, 98(6), 815-828.
- Iqbal F., Ali M., Salam A., Khan B.A., Ahmad S., Qamar M. and Umer K. (2004)., Seasonal Variations of Physico-Chemical Characteristics of River Soan Water At Dhoak Pathan Bridge (Chakwal), Pakistan., Int. Jour. Agric. and Biol., 1560– 8530/2004/06–1–89– 92.
- Kamble S.R. and Vijay R. (2011)., Assessment of water quality using cluster analysis in coastal region of Mumbai, India., Env. Monit. Assess., 178 (1-4), 321-332.
- Small C. and Nicholls R.J. (2003)., A global analysis of human settlement in coastal zones., J Coastal Res, 18(3), 584-599.
- Rani N., Sinha R.K., Prasad K. and Kedia D.K. (2011)., Assessment of temporal variation in water quality of some important rivers in middle Gangetic plains, India., Environmental monitoring and assessment, 174(1-4), 401-415.
- Gyawali S., Techato K., Yuangyai C. and Monprapusson S. (2012)., Evaluation of Surface Water Quality using Multivariate Statistical Techniques: A Case Study of U-tapao River Basin, Thailand., KMITL Sci. Tech. J., 12(1), 7-20.
- Efe S.I., Ogban F.E., Horsfall M. and Akporhonor E.E. (2005)., Seasonal Variations of Physico-chemical Characteristics in Water Resources Quality in Western Niger Delta Region, Nigeria., J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Mgt., 9 (1), 191-195.
- Devi V., Karthikeyan K., Lekameera R., Nandhagopal G., Mehta P.N. and Thivakaran G.A. (2014)., Water and Sediment Quality Characteristics near an Industrial Vicinity, Vadinar, Gulf of Kachchh, Gujarat, India., International Journal of Plant, Animal and Environmental Sciences, 4(3), 219-226.
- APHA (2012)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater., 22nd edition, American public health Association, American water works association, Water environment federation, Washington DC.
- Nandan B.S. and Abdul Azis P.K. (1994)., Zooplankton of the retting zones in the Kadinamkulam estuary, Kerala., Indian Journal of Marine Science, 27(1), 59-65.
- CPCB. (2008)., Guidelines for Recognition of Environmental Laboratories Under the Environment (Protection) Act., http://cpcb.nic.in/upload/NewItems/ NewItem_113_recognitionoflabAct-1986.pdf. Accessed on 09th November 2017.
- Shanmugam P., Neelamani S., Yu-Hwan A., Philip L. and Gi-Hoon H. (2007)., Assessment of the levels of coastal marine pollution of Chennai city Southern India., Water Resource Management, 21(7), 1187-1206.