Assessment of groundwater quality for suitability of industrial purposes
- 1Department of Civil Engineering, Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana, Ambala, Haryana, India
- 2Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra-136119, Haryana, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 8-16, March,22 (2018)
In order to evaluate the suitability of groundwater for industrial use a comprehensive study was undertaken for the two adjoining towns namely Nalagarh and Baddi of the hill state, Himachal Pradesh in the north of India. A total of 25 and 40 groundwater samples were collected, from 65 different locations of Nalagarh and Baddi industrial areas during post-monsoon season of 2011 and pre and post-monsoon seasons of 2012. The overall corrosivity ratio (CR) of groundwater was ranged from 0.201-1.587 and 0.263-1.543 at Nalagarh and Baddi industrial areas respectively. The overall averaged corrosivity ratio value at Nalagarh and Baddi industrial areas were less than 1, hence suitable for industrial use. The findings also suggest that higher values of corrosivity ratio of groundwater are restricted to a few localized areas. Therefore, serious attention should be given to the industrialist, policy and decision makers to the locations having more than 1 corrosivity ratio value for better industrial production. However, conventional treatment of effluents from semi-urban and urban areas is highly desirable to minimize the corrosiveness of groundwater in such altered areas to arrest further deterioration. This study which is based on corrosivity ratio of groundwater can be considered as an eye opener for the localities.
- Rout C. (2017)., Monitoring of Ground Water Quality of Nalagarh and Baddi Industrial Areas of Solan District, Himachal Pradesh, India (Unpublished Doctoral Thesis)., Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana, Ambala, Haryana, India.
- Haritash A.K., Kaushik C.P., Kaushik A., Kansal A. and Yadav A.K. (2008)., Suitability assessment of groundwater for drinking, irrigation and industrial use in some North Indian villages., Environmental monitoring and assessment, 145(1-3), 397-406.
- Patra H.S., Rout C., Bhatia U.K. and Garg M.P. (2009)., Impact of mining and industrial activities on Brahmani river in Angul-Talcher region of Orissa, India., In Proceedings National Speciality Conference on River Hydraulics, 97(205), 29-30.
- Rout C. and Sharma A. (2011)., Assessment of drinking water quality: A case study of Ambala cantonment area, Haryana, India., International journal of environmental sciences, 2(2), 933-945.
- Rout C., Setia B., Bhatia U.K. and Garg V. (2011)., Assessment of Heavy Metal Concentration in Ground Water: A Case Study., In Proceedings National Conference on Hydraulics & Water Resources. SVNIT Surat, Gujarat, India, 29th-30th Dec. 477-484.
- Rani M., Rout C., Garg V. and Goel G. (2012)., Evaluation of Water Quality of Yamuna River with Reference to Physico-Chemical Parameters at Yamuna Nagar City, Haryana, India., Proceedings AICTE Sponsored National Conference on River Hydraulics.MMEC Mullana, Haryana, India, 22nd-23rd March, 67-76.
- Sahoo N.K. and Rout C. (2012)., Groundwater: Threats and Management in India-A Review., Int. J. Geotech. Environ., 4(2), 143-152.
- Rout C. and Rani M. (2013)., Seasonal Variation of Ground Water Quality in Kala-Amb Industrial Areas of Sirmaur District., In Proceedings National Conference on Recent Trends and Innovations in Civil Engineering. BRCM CET, Bahal, Bhiwani, Haryana, India, 15th-16th Nov., 179-183.
- Rout C. and Rani M. (2013)., Assessment of Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Groundwater: A Case Study., In Proceedings National Conference in Recent Trends and Innovations in Civil Engineering. BRCM Bahal, Haryana, India, 179-183.
- Arun L., Chadetrik R. and Ravi P.D. (2015)., Assessment of Heavy Metals Contamination in Yamuna River in Rural and Semi-urban Settings of Agra, India., Int. J. Earth Sci. and Engg, 8(4), 1627-1631.
- Arun L., Ravi P.D. and Chadetrik R.O.U.T. (2015)., Assessment of Water Quality of the Yamuna River in Rural and Semi-urban Settings of Agra, India., Int. J. Earth Sci. and Engg, 8(4), 1661-1666.
- Chadetrik R., Arun L. and Prakash D.R. (2015)., Assessment of Physico-chemical Characteristics of River Yamuna at Agra Region of Uttar Pradesh, India., Int. Res. J. Environ.Sci., 4(9), 25-32.
- Chadetrik R. and Kumar B.U. (2015)., Assessment of Water Quality Parameters using Multivariate Chemometric Analysis for Markanda River, India., Int. Res. J. Environ. Sci., 4(12), 42-48.
- Rout C. and Attree B. (2016)., Seasonal Variation of Groundwater Quality in Some Villages of Barara Block of Ambala District, Haryana., Int. J. Chem. Stud., 4(1), 3117-121.
- Rout C. and Attree B. (2016)., Seasonal Assessment of Drinking Water Quality: A Case Study of Barara Block of Ambala District, Haryana., Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 7(1), 28-34.
- Chadetrik R., Setia B. and Gourisankar B. (2016)., Quantification of Ions Fluxes in Groundwater of Semi-urban and Urban Settings of Baddi Tehsil of SolanDistrict, Himachal Pradesh, India., Int. J. Earth Sci. Engg., 9(5), 2034-2041.
- Rout C., Setia B. and Bhattacharya G. (2017)., Assessment of Heavy Metal Fluxes in Groundwater of Semi-urban and Urban Settings of Nalagarh Tehsil of Solan District, Himachal Pradesh, India., Int. J. Earth Sci. Engg., 10(02), 367-373.
- Khawaja M.A., Aggarwal V., Bhattacharya G.S. and Rout C. (2017)., Qualitative Assessment of Water Quality through Index Method: A Case Study of Hapur City, Uttar Pradesh, India., Int. J. Earth Sci. Engg., 10(02), 427-431.
- Rout C. (2017)., Assessment of Water Quality: A Case Study of River Yamuna., Int. J. Earth Sci. Engg., 10(02), 398-403.
- Rout C. and Setia B. (2017)., Assessment of Groundwater Quality in Semi-urban and Urban Settings of Baddi Tehsil of Solan District: A Case Study., Int. J. Chem. Stud., 5(5), 1511-1518.
- Directorate of Industries (2014)., Government of Himachal Pradesh., Government of India: Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Institute.
- APHA, AWWA and WEF (2005)., Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater., 21st ed. Washington DC, New York, USA.
- Raman V. (1983)., Impact of Corrosion in the Conveyance and Distribution of Water., J. Ind.Wat. Works Assoc., 15(1), 115-121.
- Ryner J.W. (1944)., A New Index for Determining Amount of Calcium Carbonate Scale Formed by Water., J. Amer. Wat. Assn., 36, 472-486.