Air pollution induced changes in foliar micro-morphology of road side shrub species, Thevetia peruviana and Plumeria alba in Rewa City, MP, India
- 1School of Environmental Biology, A.P.S University, Rewa-486003, MP, India
- 2School of Environmental Biology, A.P.S University, Rewa-486003, MP, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 1-7, March,22 (2018)
This study was undertaken to evaluate the effect of air pollution on micro-morphological characters of two evergreen shrub species viz. Thevetia peruviana and Plumeria alba growing along the road sides in Rewa city. There was marked alternations in the micro-morphological attributes of two shrubs exposed to urban air pollution. The leaf samples of both the species showed increased number of epidermal cells and stomata, stomatal frequency and stomatal index on both dorsal and ventral surface at polluted sites as compared to control sites. The leaf samples collected from polluted sites exhibited decreased length and width of epidermal cell and guard cell as compared to control ones. The results indicate that these two shrubs have developed some adaptations or changes to survive under stressed conditions of air pollution.
- Shrivastava R.K., Saxena N. and Gautam G. (2013)., Air pollution due to road transportation in India: a review on assessment and reduction strategies., Journal of Environmental Research and Development, 8, 69-77.
- Gaghate D.G. and Hasan M.Z. (1999)., Ambient lead levels in urban areas., Bulletin of environmental contamination and toxicology, 62(4), 403-408.
- Emberson L.D. (2004)., Air pollution and crops., RAPIDC workshop report, SEI-Y, University of York, UK.
- Aggarwal P. (2000)., The effect of auto-exhaust pollution on leaf surface of Cassia siamea (L.), a road side tree., Acta Ecologica, 22(2), 101-106.
- Rai P.K. and Singh M.M. (2015)., Lantana camara invasion in urban forests of an Indo Burma hotspot region and its eco sustainable management implication through bio monitoring of particulate matter., Journal of Asia-Pacific Biodiversity, 375-381.
- Pawar A. (2016)., Impact of urban air pollution on epidermal traits of Amaranthus viridis growing along the road Side., Journal of Pure and Applied Science & Technology, 6(1), 7-10.
- Salgare S.A. and Acharekar C. (1991)., Effect of ambient air on the leaf anatomy of some wild plants-1., Environ. Biol., 12(4), 347-352.
- Giri S., Shrivastava D., Deshmukh K. and Dubey P. (2013)., Effect of air pollution on chlorophyll content of leaves., Current Agriculture Research Journal, 1(2), 93-98.
- Pawar A. (2015)., A survey of road side flora growing under stress of auto exhaust pollution in city Ghaziabad., Journal of Pure & Applied Sciences & Technology, 5(2), 27-32.
- Sharma M. (2000)., Changes in chlorophyll and total free amino acids of gram in response to sulphur dioxide exposure under field conditions., Poll. Res., 19(1), 95-97.
- Karthiyayini R., Ponnammal N.R. and Joseph R. (2005)., Air pollution tolerance index of certain plants of Coimbatore-Ooty highways, near ITI area, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu., Poll Res., 24(4), 801-803.
- Ramakrishnaiah H. and Somashekar R.K. (2003)., Higher plants as biomonitors of automobiles pollution., Eco. Env. and Cons., 9(3), 337-343.
- Gupta S., Bhattacharjee D., Datta J.K., Nayek S. and Satpati S. (2009)., Effect of vehicular lead emissions on biochemical constituents of leaves., Poll. Res., 28(2), 157-160.
- Kulshreshtha K., Farooqui A., Srivastava K., Singh S.N., Ahmad K.J. and Behl H.M. (1994)., Effect of diesel pollution on cuticular and epidermal features of Lantana camara Linn. and Syzygium cumini Linn. (Skeels)., Journal of Environmental Science and Health, 29(2), 301-308.
- Kulshreshtha K., Srivastava K. and Ahmad K.J. (1994)., Effect of automobile exhaust pollution on leaf surface structure of Calotropis procera L. and Nerium indicum L., Feddes Repertorium, 105(3-4), 185-189.
- Sharma M. and Roy A.N. (1995)., Effect of automobile exhaust on the leaf epidermal features of Azadirachta indica and Dalbergia sissoo., Int. Journal of Mendel., 12(1-4), 18-19.
- Carreras H.A., Caņas M.S. and Pignata M.L. (1996)., Differences in responses to urban air pollutants by Ligustrum lucidum Ait. and Ligustrum lucidum Ait. f. tricolor (Rehd.) Rehd., Environmental Pollution, 93(2), 211-218.
- Pal A., Kulshreshtha K., Ahmad K.J. and Yunus M. (2000)., Changes in leaf surface structures of two avenue tree species caused by auto exhaust pollution., Journal of Environmental Biology, 21(1), 15-21.
- Rai A. and Kulshreshtha K. (2006)., Effect of particulates generated from automobile emission on some common plants., Journal of food, Agriculture and Environment, 4(1), 253-259.
- Sher Z. and Hussain F. (2006)., Effect of automobile traffic on some cultivated trees along road side in Peshawar., Pakistan Journal of Plant Science, 12(1), 47-54.
- Amulya L., Hemanth Kumar N.K. and Jagannath S. (2015)., Air pollution impact on micromorphological and biochemical response of Tabernaemontana divaricata L. (Gentianales: Apocynaceae) and Hamelia patens Jacq. (Gentianales: Rubiaceae)., Brazilian Journal of Biological Sciences, 2(4), 287-294.
- Salisbury E.J. (1928)., I. On the causes and ecological significance of stomatal frequency, with special reference to the woodland flora., Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B, 216(431-439), 1-65.
- Kulshreshtha K., Yunus M., Dwivedi A.K. and Ahmad K. J. (1980)., Effect of air pollution on the epidermal traits of Jasminum sambac Ait., New botanist, 7, 193-197.
- Ramanathan M. and Kanabiran B. (1989)., Effects of soil dust pollution on foliar epidermis of Calotropis gigantea (L.) R.Br. and Ipomeacarnea Jac. (Abstract)., Journal of Indian Botanical society, 67, 100.
- Tiwari S. (2012)., Air Pollution Induced changes in foliar morphology of two shrub species at Indore city, India., Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 2, 195-199.
- Rai P. and Mishra R.M. (2013)., Effect of urban air pollution on epidermal traits of road side tree species, Pongamia pinnata (L.) Merr., IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technolog., 04-07.
- Satyanarayana G., Pushpalatha K. and Charya U.H.A. (1990)., Dust loading and leaf morphological trait changes of plants growing in automobile polluted area., Advances in Plant Sciences, 3(1), 125-130.
- Salgare S.A. and Thorat V.B. (1990)., Effect of auto exhaust pollution at Andheri (West), Bombay on the micromorphology of some trees., Journal of Ecobiology, 2(4), 267-272.
- Zarinkamar F., Saderi Z. and Soleimanpour S. (2013)., Excluder strategies in response to Pb toxicity in Matricaria chamomilla., Environment and Ecology Research, 1(1), 1-11.
- Kondo N., Maruta I. and Sugahara K. (1980)., Research report from the National Institute for Environmental Studies., Yatabe, Japan, 11, 127-136.
- Ashenden T.W. and Mansfield T.A. (1978)., Extreme pollution sensitivity of grasses when sSO2 and NO2 are present in atmosphere together., Nature, 273, 142-143.
- Kumar N. and Jaishree (1989)., Effect of railway tract air pollution on epidermal features of Gomphrena celosiodes Mart., Adv. Plant Sci., 2(1), 54-57.
- Salgare S.A. and Swain S. (1991)., Effect of autoexhaust pollution at Western Express Highway near National Park, Boriveli (East) on the micromorphology of some weed (1- Harvest)., J. Biosphere., 3(1), 8-18.
- Raina A.K. and Sharma A. (2003)., Effect of vehicular pollution on the leaf micro-morphology, anatomy and chlorophyll contents of Syzygium cumini L., IJEP., 23(8), 897-902.