Physicochemical analysis of pond water in Purba Barddhaman, West Bengal, India
- 1Department of Zoology, Syamsundar College, Shyamsundar, Burdwan, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 54-59, February,22 (2018)
Physico-chemical analysis of Mondal pond, Barddhaman town, Purba Barddhaman, West Bengal, India, carried out from March 2015 to February 2016. During the analysis, the limnological factors such as temperature, pH, DO (dissolved oxygen), free CO2, chloride, alkalinity, PO4 (phosphate) were taken for consideration and the data were recorded and analysed. In this study, the air temperature ranges from 19°C to 34°C where as water temperature ranges from 16°C to 31.8°C. pH ranges from 8.2 (September) to 9.5 (August). Lowest value of DO was observed in April (4.1mg/l) and highest value was observed in December (13.1mg/l). Free carbon di oxide varies from 2.4mg/l to 10.2mg/l. Chloride content ranges from 70mg/l to 165mg/l. Alkalinity level ranges from 82mg/l to 165.5mg/l where as phosphate level was in between 0.40 mg/l and 0.86mg/l. According to above result, the selected pond is suitable for fish culture but continuous monitoring of all the parameters is necessary.
- Moses B.S. (1983)., Introduction to Tropiucal Fisheries., Ibadan University Press, UNESCO/ICSU, 102-105.
- Davenport Y. (1993)., Responses of the Blennius pholis to fluctuating salinities., Marine Ecology Progress Series, 1, 101-107.
- Abir S. (2014)., Seasonal Variations in Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Rudrasagar Wetland - A Ramsar Site, Tripura, North East, India., Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 4(1), 31-40.
- Ruttner, F. (1953)., Fundamental of Limnology., University of Torronto Press, 242.
- Wetzel R.G. (1966)., Variations in productivity of Goose and hypereutrophic Sylvian Lakes, Indiana., Indiana Lakes and Strems, 7, 147-184.
- Welch P.S. (1952)., Limnology., New York: McGrow - Hills.
- Saha G.N., Sehgal K.L. and Nandy A.C. (1971)., Studies on the seasonal and diurnal variationns in physicochemical and biological condotions of a perennial fresh water pond at Cuttack, Orissa., J. Inland Fish Soc. India, 3, 80-102.
- Mishra R.R., Rath B. and Thatoi H. (2008)., Water Quality Assesment of Aquaculture Ponds Located in Bhitarkanika Mangrove Ecosystem, Odissa, India., Turkish Journal of Fish and Aqua. Sci, 8, 71-77.
- Adebisi A.A. (1981)., The physicochemical hydrology of a tropical seasonal river upper Ogun river., Hydrobiologica, 79(2), 157-165.
- Tara J.S., Kour R.A.M.N.I.K. and Sharma S. (2011)., Studies on the occurrence and seasonal abundance of aquatic coleopteran in relation to some physicochemical parameters of water of Gharana wetland Wetland Reserve Jammu (J and K )., The Bioscan, 6(2), 257-261.
- Hazelwood D.H. and Parker R.A. (1961)., Population dynamics of some freshwater zooplankton., Ecology, 42(2), 266-274.
- Pathak Neelam B. and Mankodi P.C. (2013)., Hydrological status of Danteshwar pond, Vadodara, Gujarat, India., Int. Res. J. Environment Sci, 2(1), 43-38.
- Edmondson W.T. (1965)., Reproductive rate of planktonic rotifers as related to food and temperature in nature., Ecological Monographs, 35(1), 61-111.
- Manawar M. (1970)., Limnological Studies on Freshwater ponds of Hyderabad, India., Hydrobiologica, 31, 108-128.
- Mahobe H. and Mishra P. (2013)., Study of Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Water Ponds of Rajnandgaon Town, Chhattisgarh., International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 4(8), 738-748.
- Jain C.K. and Seethapathi P.V. (1996)., Limnological studies of Kayamkulam Lake., Indian. J. Env. Prot, 16(8), 561-568.
- Qadri M.Y. and Shah G.M. (1984)., Hydribiological features of Hokarsara typical wetland of Kashmir-1 Biotome., Indian J. Ecol., 11(2), 203-206.
- Moundiotiya K., Sisodia R., Kulshreshtha M. and Bhatia A. L. (2004)., A case study of the Jamwa Ramgarh wetland with special reference to physico-chemical properties of water and its environs., Journal of Environmental Hydrology, 12, 103-104.
- Jana B.B. (1973)., Seasonal periodicity of plankton in freshwater ponds, West Bengal, India., Journal of International Rev. Ges. Hydrobiology, 58(1), 127-143.
- Arya S., Kumar V., Raikwar M. and Dhaka A. (2011)., Physico-chemical Analysis of Selected Surface Water Samples of Laxmi Tal ( Pond ) in Jhansi City, UP, Bundelkhand Region, Central India., Jou. of Exptl. l Sci., 2(8), 01-06.
- Bhatnagar A. and Devi Pooja (2013)., Water Quality guidelines for the management of pond fish culture., International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 3(6), 1980-2009.
- Cook R.B., Kelly C.A., Schindler D.W. and Turner M.A. (1986)., Mechanisms of hydrogen ion neutralization in an experimentally acidified lake., Limnology and oceanography, 31(1), 134-148.
- Kannan V. and Job S.V. (1979)., Diurnal depth-wise and seasonal changes of physico chemical factors in Sathiar reservoir., Hydrobiologica, 70(1-2), 103-117.
- National Agricultural Extension and Research (1996)., Water quality management in fish culture., Extension Bulletin No. 98 Fisheries Series No3. Zaria: Liaison Services Ahmadu Bellow University.
- Bhatnagar A., Jana S.N., Garg S.K., Patra B.C., Singh G. and Barman U.K. (2004)., Water quality management in aquaculture, In : Course Manual of summerschool on development of sustainable aquaculture technology in fresh and saline waters., CCS Haryana Agricultural, Hisar (India), 203-210.
- Santosh B. and Singh N.P. (2007)., Guidelines for water quality management for fish culture in Tripura., ICAR Research complex for NEH Region, Tripura Centre , Publication No. 29.
- Bhatnagar A. and Singh G. (2010)., Culture fisheries in village ponds: a multilocation study in Haryana, India., Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America, 1(5), 961-968.
- Bhatnagar A. (2008)., Productivity and fish biodiversity of selected ponds of Haryana., Project report submitted to Department of fisheries, Govt. of Haryana .
- Ekubo A.A. and Abowei J.F.N. (2011)., Review of some water quality management principles in culture fisheries., Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, 3(12), 1342-1357.
- Boyd C.E. and Lichtkoppler F. (1979)., Water Quality Management in Fish Ponds., Research and Development Series No. 22, International Centre for Aquaculture (JCAA) Experimental Station Auburn University, Albama, 22, 45- 47.
- Wurts W.A. and Durborow R.M. (1992)., Interactions of pH, Carbon Dioxide, Alkalinity and Hardness in Fish Ponds., Southern Regional Aquaculture Center, SARC, Publication No. 464.
- Stone N.M. and Thomforde H.K. (2004)., Understanding your fish pond water analysis report., Cooperative extension program, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Aquaculture/Fisheries.