Influence of municipal solid waste dumpsite on some physicochemical parameters of ground water
- 1Indira Gandhi Centre for Human Ecology, Environmental and Population Studies, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
- 2Indira Gandhi Centre for Human Ecology, Environmental and Population Studies, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 42-48, February,22 (2018)
The rapid increase in the population, urbanization, industrialization and changes in consumerism pattern have given birth to several environmental problems that mainly include air, land and water pollution. The current study focuses on the effect of uncontrolled dumping of municipal solid waste on ground water. The physicochemical properties of water like temperature, pH, electrical conductivity, total dissolved solids, alkalinity, chloride, total hardness (TH), calcium hardness, magnesium hardness, acidity, phosphate, fluoride, dissolved oxygen (DO), chemical oxygen demand (COD), sodium and potassium were analysed. It was found that the values for EC, TDS, calcium hardness, magnesium hardness, sodium and potassium were beyond the permissible limit prescribed by WHO (2004) and BIS 10500 (2012).
- Municipal Solid Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, (2000)., Central Pollution Control Board, Ministry of Environment and Forest, New Delhi.,
- Idris A., Inanc B. and Hassan M.N. (2004)., Overview of waste disposal and landfill/dumps in Asian countries., J. Mater Cycles Waste Manag, 6, 104-110.
- Srivastava R., Krishna V. and Sonkar I. (2014)., Characterization and management of municipal solid waste: a case study of Varanasi city, India., Int. J. Curr. Res. Acad. Rev., 2(8), 10-16.
- Patle A.V., Williams S.P.M.P., Gabhane J., Dhar H. and Nagamaik P.B. (2014)., Microbial assisted rapid composting of agriculture residues., Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 5(5), 1097-1099.
- Chandrappa R. and Das D.B. (2012)., Solid Waste Management., Environmental Science and Engineering Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-28681-0_2
- Census of India (2011). Rajasthan Series-09, Part XII-B District Census Handbook Jaipur, Village and Town Wise Primary Census Abstract (PCA), Directorate of Census Operations, Rajasthan, 1-569., undefined, undefined
- Aljaradin M. and Persson K.M. (2012)., Environmental Impact of Municipal Solid Waste Landfills in Semi-Arid Climates - Case Study – Jordan., The Open Waste Management Journal, 5, 28-39.
- Niloufer N.S., Swamy A.V.V.S. and Devi M. K.S. (2013)., Impact of municipal solid waste on the ground water quality in Vijayawada city, Andhra Pradesh., Indian Jo urnal of Applied research, 3, 62-642.
- Parameswari K., Mudgal B.V. and Nelliyat P. (2012)., Evaluation of groundwater contamination and its impact: an interdisciplinary approach., Environ Dev Sustain 14, 725-744. DOI 10.1007/s10668-012-9349-5
- Ogundiran O.O. and Afolabi T.A. (2008)., Assessment of the physicochemical parameters and heavy metals toxicity of leachates from municipal solid waste open dumpsite., Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech., 5(2), 243-250.
- Lema J.M., Mendez R. and Blazquez R. (1988)., Characteristics of Landfill Leachates and Alternatives for Their Treatment: A Review., Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 40, 223-250.
- Chakraborty S. and Kumar R.N. (2016)., Assessment of groundwater quality at a MSW landfill site using standard and AHP based water quality index: a case study from Ranchi, Jharkhand., India Environ. Monit. Assess., 188, 335. DOI 10.1007/s10661-016-5336-x
- Kurakalva R.M., Aradhib K.K., Mallela K.Y. and Venkatayogi S. (2016)., Assessment of Groundwater Quality in and around the Jawaharnagar Municipal Solid Waste Dumping Site at Greater Hyderabad, Southern India., Procedia Environmental Sciences 35 of International Conference on Solid Waste Management, 5IconSWM 2015, 35, 328-336.
- Loizidou M. and Kapetanios E. (1993)., Effect of leachate from landﬁlls on underground water quality., Science of Total Environment, 128, 69-81.
- Mor S., Ravindra K., Dahiya R.P. and Chandra A. (2006)., Leachate characterization and assessment of groundwater pollution near municipal solid waste landﬁll site., Environ. Monit. Assess., 118, 435-456. DOI:10.1007/s10661-006-1505-7
- Maiti S.K., De S., Hazra T., Debsarkar A. and Dutta A. (2016)., Characterization of Leachate and Its Impact on Surface and Groundwater Quality of a Closed Dumpsite - A Case Study at Dhapa, Kolkata, India., Procedia Environmental Sciences, 35, 391-399.
- Unnisa S.A. and Zainab Bi S. (2017)., Groundwater quality characterization around Jawahar nagar open dumpsite, Telangana State., Appl. Water Sci., 7(7), 3911-3918. DOI:10.1007/s13201-017-0544-2
- Nagarajan R., Thirumalaisamy S. and Lakshumanan E. (2012)., Impact of leachate on groundwater pollution due to non-engineered municipal solid waste landfill sites of erode city, Tamil Nadu, India., Iranian journal of environmental health science & engineering, 9(1), 35.
- Babu N.V., Rao P.J. and Prasad I.V.R.K.V. (2013)., Impact of Municipal Solid Waste on Groundwater in the Environs of Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation Area, Andhrapradesh, India., International Journal of Engineering Science Invention, 2(3), 28-32.
- Prepas E.E., Pinel‐Alloul B., Chambers P.A., Murphy T.P., Reedyk S., Sandland G. and Serediak M. (2001)., Lime treatment and its effects on the chemistry and biota of hardwater eutrophic lakes., Freshwater Biology, 46(8), 1049-1060.
- Standard I. (2012)., Bureau of Indian Standards drinking water specifications., BIS, 10500.
- Badmus B.S., Ozebo V.C., Idowu O.A., Ganiyu S.A. and Olurin O.T. (2014)., Groundwater Assessment of Hand Dug Wells around Open Landfill in Ibadan Metropolis for Domestic and Irrigation Purpose., Journal of Water Resource and Protection, 6, 1412-1424.
- Sampathkumar M.R.S. and Swathi G. (2014)., Unplanned Municipal Solid Waste Dumps and Their Impact on Water Quality - A Case Study from Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, South India., IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT), 8(9), 01-05.
- Nandwana R. and Chhipa R.C. (2014)., Impact of Solid Waste Disposal on Ground Water Quality in Different Disposal Site at Jaipur, India., International Journal of Engineering Sciences and Research Technology, 3(8), 93-101.
- Bayode S., Olorunfemi M.O. and Ojo J.S. (2012)., Assessment of Impact of Some Waste Dumpsites on the Groundwater Quality in Parts of Akure Metropolis, Southwestern Nigeria., The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, 13(2), 528-536.
- Kale S.S., Kadam A.K., Kumar S. and Pawar N.J. (2010)., Evaluating pollution potential of leachate from landﬁll site, from the Pune metropolitan city and its impact on shallow basaltic aquifers., Environ Monit Assess., 162, 327-346.
- Saidu M. (2011)., Effect of refuse dumps on ground water quality., Advances in Applied Science Research, 2(6), 595-599.
- Agber P.I., Ali A. and Tsaku N.A. (2013)., Assessment of Ground Water Quality, Soil Properties and Nutrient Content of Soil in Areas Close to Municipal Refuse Dump Sites in Makurdi, Nigeria., J. Biol. Chem. Research, 30(1), 88-97.
- Han D., Tong X., Currell M.J., Cao G., Jin M. and Tong C. (2013)., Evaluation of the impact of an uncontrolled landfill on surrounding groundwater quality, Zhoukou, China., J. Geochem. Explor., 1-16. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/j.gexplo.2013.09.008
- Rao G.T., Rao V.G., Ranganathan K., Surinaidu L., Mahesh J. and Ramesh G. (2011)., Assessment of groundwater contamination from a hazardous dump site in Ranipet, Tamil Nadu, India., Hydrogeology Journal, 19(8), 1587-1598.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2004)., Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality., 3rd Edn., 1, Recommendation. WHO: Geneva., 3(1), 515.