Quarry dust effect on trees and their tolerance ability at Bethamcharla, Kurnool District, AP, India
- 1Department of Botany, Rayalaseema University, Kurnool - 7, AP, India
- 2Rayalaseema University, Kurnool -7, AP, India
- 3Rayalaseema University, Kurnool -7, AP, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 7, Issue (10), Pages 34-39, October,22 (2018)
Different plant species vary over a considerable range in their susceptibility to air pollution. Since there is a little information available about responses of quarries, we selected the subject to study the influence of quarry dust on selected trees growing around quarries at Bethamcherla, Kurnool district and to measure their Air pollution tolerance indices to suggest the plants that are suitable to raise in such areas to develop a green belt. Dust pollution causes water stress also in habitats. Because growing of species that are having high APTIs are able to increase their number and can also able to increase water table by reducing the temperatures of the area. The study suggests to grow Azadirachta indica, Tamarindus indica, and Terminalia catappa around quarry dust polluted areas. In A.indica and T.indica, the Relative Water Content is very high. Whereas in T.catappa there is no change in RWC in polluted site sample. According to several observations, RWC in plants serves as an important indicator of drought confrontation in plants.
- Aron D. (1949)., Copper enzymes isolated chloroplasts, polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris., Plant Physiology, 24, 1-15.
- Maclachlan S. and Zalik S. (1963)., Plastid structure, chlorophyll concentration, and free amino acid composition of a chlorophyll mutant of barley., Canadian Journal of Botany, 41(7), 1053-1062. doi.org/10.1139/b63-088.
- Singh A. (1977)., Practical Plant Physiology., Kalyani publishers, New Delhi.
- Agbaire P.O. and Esiefarienrhe E. (2009)., Air pollution tolerance indices (APTI) of some plants around Otorogun gas plants in delta state., Nigeria. J. of Applied Science and Envi. Management, 13, 11-14.
- Anne Marie Helmenstine (2018)., Vitamin C Determination by Iodine Titration., https://www.thoughtco.com/vitamin-c-determination-b.
- Singh S.K. and Rao D.N. (1983)., Evaluation of the plants for their tolerance to air pollution., Proc.Symp on air pollution control held at IIT, Delhi, 218-224.
- Holt E.A. and Miller D.W. (2011)., Bio indicators: Using organisms to measure environmental impacts., Nat. Educ. Knowl., 2(2), 8.
- Singh S.K. and Rao D.N. (1983)., Evaluation of the plants for their tolerance to air pollution., Proceedings of Symposium on air pollution control held at ITI, Delhi, 218-224.
- Scholz F. and Reck S. (1977)., Effects of acids on forest trees as measured by titration in vitro, inheritance of buffering capacity in Picea abies., Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 8(1), 41-45.
- Singh S.N. and Verma A. (2007)., Phytoremediation of air pollutants: a review., In: Environmental Bioremediation Technology, (Eds: Singh, S.N. and R.D. Tripathi) Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, 1, 293-314.
- Innes J.L. and Haron A.H. (2000)., Air pollution and the forests of developing and rapidly industrializing regions., CAB 1. Wallingford, U.K.
- Verma S.S. (2003)., Formation and destruction of sulphur oxides with temperature., J. Indian Inst. Environ Manag., 29(2), 96-101.
- Rai P.K., Panda L.S.S., Chutia B.M. and Singh M.M. (2013)., Comparative assessment of air pollution tolerance index (APTI) in the industrial (Rourkela) and non-industrial area (Aizawl) of India: An Eco management approach., African J. Environ. Sci. and Tech., 7(10), 944-948. doi.org/10.5897/AJEST2013.1532.
- Geravandia M., Farshadfara E. and Kahrizi D. (2011)., Evaluation of some physiological traits as indicators of drought tolerance in bread wheat genotypes., Russian, J.Plant Physiol., 58(1), 69-75.
- Krishnaveni M., Madhaiyan P., Durairaj S., Chandrasekhar R. and Amsavalli L. (2013)., Air Pollution Tolerance Index of plants at Perumal Malai Hills, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India., Int.J.Pharma.Sci.Rev. and Res., 20(1), 234-239.
- Kaur M. and Nagpal A.K. (2017)., Evaluation of air pollution tolerance index and anticipated performance index of plants and their application in development of green space along the urban areas., Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res., 24(23), 18881-18895.
- Tripathi A.K. and Gautam M. (2007)., Biochemical parameters of plants as indicators of air pollution., J.Environ. Biol., 28, 127-132.
- Mir Ab Q., Yazdani T., Kumar A., Narain K. and Yunus M. (2008)., Vehicular population and pigment content of certain avenue trees., Poll.Res., 27, 59-63.
- Rahmawati N., Rosmayati Delvian and Basyuni M. (2014)., Chlorophyll content of soybean as affected by foliar application of ascorbic acid and inoculation of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in saline soil., Int.J.Sci.Technol.Res., 3(7), 127-131.
- Deepalakshmi A.P., Ramakrishnaiah H., Ramachandra Y.L. and Radhika R.N. (2013)., Roadside plants as Bio- indicators of Urban Air Pollution., IOSR J. of Environ.Sci.Toxic. and Food Tech. (IOSR-JESTFT), 3(3), 10-14. doi. 10.9790/2402-0331014.
- Keller T. and Schwanger H. (1977)., Air pollution and ascorbic acid., European Journal of Forest Pathology, 7(6), 338-350. doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0329.1977.tb00603.x
- Gill S.S. and Tuteja N. (2010)., Reactive oxygen species and antioxidant machinery in abiotic stress tolerance crop plants., Plant Physiol.Biochem., 48(12), 909-930. doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2010.08.016.
- Sanghi S.B., Sharma C. and Sanghi S.K. (2015)., Comparison of APTI values of some medicinal plants of industrial areas and Ratapani wild life sanctuary in Raisen district of Madhya Pradesh., Int.J.Pharma.Life Sci., 6(1), 4157-4160.