Pollution and effects of hydrological patterns on water and sediments quality characteristics from porto-novo lagoon bionetwork
- 1Department of Fisheries Technology, Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria
- 2Laboratory of Research on Wetlands, Department of Zoology University of Abomey Calavi, Benin Republic
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 30-38, August,22 (2017)
Impact assessment of hydrological patterns on Porto-Novo lagoon water, sediments quality characteristics, and pollution status were carried out for 12 months. Water quality parameters and metal pollutants were also evaluated.The water body was stratified into 12 strata based on the morphology of the lagoon and various human activities on the lagoon. Data were collected based on season, sampling stations, metal pollutants, and water quality parameters. The results were analyzed in the laboratory and interpreted using exploratory data analysis statistics. There is no significant difference in the means of dissolved oxygen and pH in different months between July and June at 5% level of probability. However, there is a significant difference in the means of temperature, turbidity, electrical conductivity, salinity, total dissolved solids, COD, BOD, total hardness, and depth in different months at 5% level of probability. The order of amount of metallic contaminants in sediments from Porto-Novo Lagoon between July and December (Rainy season) are in these order; Mn&
- Joshi Dhirendra Mohan, Kumar Alok and Agrawal Namita (2009)., Studies on Physicochemical Parameters to Assess the Water Quality of River Ganga for Drinking Purpose in Haridwar District., Rasayan Journal of Chemical, 2(1), 195-203.
- Babalola O.A. and Agbebi F.O. (2013)., Physico-Chemical Characteristics and Water Quality Assessment from Kuramo Lagoon, Lagos, Nigeria., Society for Science and Nature, 3, 98-102.
- Mandelli F.E. (1998)., Hydrography and Chemistry of some coastal lagoons on the Pacific Coast of Mexico., Coastal Lagoon Research, Present and Future. UNESCO Technical Papers in Marine Science, 33, 81-95.
- Paerl H.W., Valdes L.M., Joyner A.R., Peierls B.L., Piehler M.E., Riggs S.R., Christian R.R., Eby L.A., Crowder L. B., Ramus J.S., Clesceri E.J., Buzzelli C.P. and Luettich R.A. (2006)., Ecological response to hurricane events in the Pamlico Sound system, North Carolina, and implications for assessment and management in a regime of increased frequency., Estuaries and Coasts, 29(6), 1033-1045.
- Valiela I., Tomasky G., Hauxwell J., Cole M.L., Cebrian J. and Kroeger K.D. (2000)., Operationalizing Sustainability: Management and Risk Assessment of Land-Derived Nitrogen Loads to Estuaries., Ecological Applications, 10(4), 1006-1023. DOI: 10.2307/2641014
- Babalola O. Adeniyi and Fiogbe D. Emile (2016)., Metal Pollutants Distribution and Bioaccumulation in Two Ecological Important Fisheries Resources Chrysichthysnigrodigitatus and Callinecteslatimanus from Novo Lagoon Ecosystem, Benin Republic., International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research, 5(1), 2319-1473
- Yehouenou E.A.P., Adamou R., Azehoun P.J., Edorh P.A. and Ahoyo T. (2013)., Monitoring of Heavy Metals in the complex \"Nokoué lake - Cotonou and Porto-Novo lagoon ecosystem during three years in the Republic of Benin., Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 3(5), 1-4.
- Ademoroti C.M.A. (1996)., Standard Methods for Water and Effluents Analysis., Foludex Press Ltd., Ibadan, Nigeria., 3, 29-118. ISBN-978-33399-9-1
- Adandedjan D., Laleye P., Ouattara A. and Gourene G. (2011)., Distribution of Benthic Insect Fauna in a West African Lagoon: The Porto-Novo Lagoon in Benin., Asian Journal of Biological Sciences, 4(2), 116-127.
- Bhadja P. and Vaghela A. (2013)., Effect of temperature on the toxicity of some metals to Labeobata., International Journal of Advanced Life Sciences, 6(3), 252-254.
- Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA) (1991)., Guideline and Standard for Environmental Pollution Control in Nigeria., FG. Press, 238.
- Boyd C.E. and Lichtkoppler F. (1979)., Water quality management in pond fish., Research and Development series, 22, 45-47.
- Wetzel R.G. (2001)., Limnology: lake and river ecosystems., (3rd ed.), Academic Pres, 241-250.
- Barron M. (1995)., Handbook of Ecotoxicology., Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, 652-666.
- Li Haiyan, Shi Anbang, Li Mingyi and Zhang Xiaoran (2013)., Effect of pH, Temperature, Dissolved Oxygen, and Flow Rate of Overlying Water on Heavy Metals Release from Storm Sewer Sediments., Journal of Chemistry, Article ID 434012, 11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/434012
- E.P.A. (1986)., Quality Criteria for Water., EPA-440/5-86-001
- Basset Alberto, Pinna Maurizio, Sabetta Letizia, Barbone Enrico and Galuppo Nicola (2008)., Hierarchical scaling of biodiversity in lagoon ecosystems., Transit. Waters Bull., 2(3), 75-86. ISSN 1825-229X, DOI 10.1285/i1825229 Xv2n3p75
- Kadkhodaie A., Kelich S. and Baghban A. (2012)., Effects of Salinity Levels on Heavy Metals (Cd, Pb and Ni) Absorption by Sunflower and Sudangrass Plants., Bull. Env.Pharmacol.Life Scien., 1(12), 47-53.
- EPA (2012)., United States Environmental and Protection Agency., Monitoring and Assessmentof Conductivity.
- Papafilippaki A.K., Kotti M.E. and Stavroulakis G.G. (2008)., Seasonal Variations in Dissolved Heavy Metals in TheKeritis River, Chania, Greece., Global NEST Journal, 10(3), 320-325.
- Wurts W.A. and Durborow R.M. (1992)., Interactions of pH, carbon dioxide, alkalinity and hardness in fishponds., Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Publication No., 464, 1-3.
- Radke L. (2006)., pH of Coastal Waterways., In Oz Coasts. http://www.ozcoasts.gov.au/indicators/ph_coastal_waterways.jsp(Retrieved: Dec. 20, 2016).
- Anderson G. (2008)., Seawater composition., Marine Science, 8. Available at: http://www.marinebio.net/ Marine science/02ocean/swcomposition.htm (Retrieved: March 18, 2016).
- Vander-Heide J. (1982)., Lake Brokopondo: Filling phase limnology of a man-made lake in the human tropics., Alblasserdam Off sedrukkerij Katers. B.V., 427.
- Copper (2013)., Chemical properties of copper - Health effects of copper - Environmental effects of copper., Read more: http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/cu.htm
- Campbell P.G.C. and Stokes P.M. (1985)., Acidification and toxicity of metals to aquatic biota., Can. J. Aquat. Sci., 42(12), 2034-2049.
- Phleger F.B. (1981)., A review of some general features of coastal lagoons., in Coastal lagoon research, present and future: proceedings of a seminar.UNESCO Technical Papers in Marine Science 33.United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, Paris, France, 7-14.
- Allen B.L. and Mallarino A.R. (2008)., Effect of liquid swine manure rate, incorporation, and timing of rainfall on phosphorus loss with surface runoff., Journal of Environmental Quality, 37, 125-137.
- Perlman H. (2014)., Water properties and measurements., USGS Water Science Schoolpp, 5-9.
- Radulescu C., Dulama I.D., Stihi C., Ionita I., Chilian A., Necula C. and Chelarescu Elena D. (2014)., Determination of Heavy Metal Levels In Water and Therapeutic Mud by Atomic Absorption Spectrometry., Rom. Journ. Phys., 59(9-10), 1057-1066.
- Pandey K. and Shukla J.P. (2007)., Fish and Fisheries., Rastogi Publications (IIed), Meerut, 269-270.
- Rathor R.S. and Khangarot B.S. (2003)., Effects of water hardness and metal concentration on a fresh water Tubifextubifexmuller., Water, Air, Soil Pollut., 142, 341-356.
- Hynes H.B.N. (1974)., The biology of polluted waters., University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Ontario, 1-202. ISBN: 0 85323 2000 8
- Caza France, Cledon Maximiliano and St-Pierre Yves (2016)., Biomonitoring Climate Change and Pollution in Marine Ecosystems: A Review on Aulacomya ater., Journal of Marine Biology, 2, 9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7183813
- Mancy K.H. and Weber W.J. (1971)., Analysis of Industrial Waste Waters., Part 3, Section B. Published by Wiley-Interscience, New York.http://www.jstor.org/stable/41267434
- Marske D.M. and Polkowski L.B. (1972)., Evaluation of methods for estimating biochemical Oxygen Demand parameters., Journal (Water Pollution Control Federation), 44(10), 1987-2000.
- ReVelle P. and ReVelle C. (1988)., The environment—Issues and choices for society., Boston, Jones and Bartlett, 749.
- Wu Xiang, Xu Xijin, Guo Chuanfei and Zeng Haibo (2014)., Metal Oxide Heterostructures for Water Purification., Journal of Nanomaterials, 2. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/603096
- Srivastava N., Harit G. and Srivastava R. (2009)., A study of physico-chemical characteristics of lakes around Jaipur, India., J. Environ. Biol., 30(5), 889-894.