Impact of textile and composite industrial wastewater on fresh water fish, channa gachua: a comparative study
- 1School of Environmental and Earth Science, North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon, MS, India
- 2School of Environmental and Earth Science, North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon, MS, India
- 3School of Environmental and Earth Science, North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon, MS, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (7), Pages 41-46, July,22 (2017)
Pollution is the single largest contributory factor towards degradation of environment and the main source of pollution is industrial effluents, sewage, agricultural and domestic wastes including simple metal ions complex chemical compounds. The main threat to aquatic environment is by various industries which discharge their effluents in water bodies. In this context, the present investigation was done to know the effect and toxicity to the fish Channa gachua. The fish was exposed to sub-lethal doses of mixed and electroplating industrial effluent. Toxicity of mix effluent and electroplating effluent to the fish, Channa gachua is studied in relation to varying salinities i. e.1 to 5% The LC10, LC50, LC90, LD and Safe concentration values of both mixed effluent and electroplating effluent obtained in high and low salinities showed that the mix effluent is highly toxic to Channa gachua at low salinities as result of osmotic stress as compare to mix effluent. The study strongly indicates that the essential for observing the concentration of effluent which should be treated and to be apply control methods to safeguard the safety of aquatic animal and the ecosystem at large.
- Johnson D.W. (1974)., Pesticide residues in fish., Environ. Pollu. By Pesticides. plenum press, London, 181-212.
- Johnston R. (1976)., Mechanisms and problem of marine pollution in relation to commercial fisheries., Marine Pollution. Academic Press London and New York, 729.
- Reish D.J., Geesey G.G., Wilkes F.G., Oshida P.S., Mearns A., Rossi S. and Ginn T. (1982)., Marine and estuarine pollution., Journal Water Pollution Control Federation, 54(6), 786-812 .
- Ahn Y., Hong G., Neelamani S., Philip L. and Shanmugam P. (2006)., Assessment of Levels of coastal marine pollution of Chennai city, southern India., Water Resource Management, 21(7), 1187-1206.
- Reijenders P. (1980)., Organochlorine and heavy metals residuals in harbor seas from the Wadden Sea and their possible effects on reproduction., Neth.J.Sea Res., 14, 30-65.
- Stout V. (1980)., Organochlorine residues in fish from the Northwest Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico., U.S. Fish and Wild. Serv., Fish. Bull., 78(1), 51-58.
- Cowan A.A. (1981)., Organochlorine compounds in mussels from Scottish coastal waters., Environ. Pollut. (Ser.B), 2(2), 129-143.
- Ernst W., Goerke H., Eder G. and Schaefer R.G. (1976)., Residues of chlorinated hydrocarbons in marine organisms in relation to size and ecological parameters I. PCB, DDT, DDE and DDD in fishes and mollusks from the English Channel., Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 15(1), 55-65.
- Amminikutty C.K. and Rage M.S. (1987)., Effects of acute and chronic exposure to pesticides, thiodan E.C. 35 and Agallol 3 ‟on the liver of widow tetra Gymnocrymbus ternetzi (Boulenger)., Indian J. Exp. Biol., 15, 197-200.
- Singh B. and Narain A. (1982)., Acute toxicity of thiodan to Catfish (Heteropneustes fossilis)., Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 28(1), 122-127.
- Singh S. and Sahai S. (1984)., Toxicity of some pesticides to two fresh water teleosts., J. Environ Biol., 5(4), 255-259.
- Abdullah S. and Javed M. (2006)., Studies on 96h LC50 and lethal toxicity of metals to the fish Cirrhina mrigala., Pak. J. Agric. Sci, 43, 180-185.
- APHA (1998)., Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater., 20thedition, American Public Health Association, Washington DC, USA, ISBN:0-87553-235-7.
- Finney D.J. (1971)., Probit Analysis. 3rd edition., -Cambridge University Press, London, England, 1-333.ISBN: 052108041X.
- Robert M. and Boyce C.B.C. (1972)., Principles of biological assay., In: Methods in Microbiology, Academic Press, New York, 7A, 153-190.
- Thorat S. (2001)., Chronic effect of endosulfan on freshwater fish, Catla catla., J. Ecotoxicology. Environ. Monit., 11(3), 221-225.
- Thorat S. and Wagh S. (2001)., Effect of tannery effluent on protein metabolism of freshwater fish, Channa Gachua., Bull. Envi. Sci, 19, 1-5.
- Thorat S. and Wagh S. (2001)., Histopathological changes in the intestine of the fish, Channa Gachua exposed to tannery effluent., J. Poll. Res., 20(2), 267-270.
- Thorat S. and Wagh S. (2001)., Oxygen consumption of freshwater fish, Channa Gachua exposed to tannery effluent., Ind. J. Environ. Ecol., 5(1), 203-206.
- Chaudhari R., Kakade Harshad R. and Thorat S. (2015)., Effect of Cadmium Chloride on the Biochemical Characteristics of Fresh Water Fish, Cyprinus Carpio., International Journal in Management and Social Sciences, 03(03), 85-89.