Water quality assessment of Rajsamand Lake, Rajasthan, India
- 1Limnology and Fisheries Research Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University College of Science, M.L. Sukhadia University Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
- 2Limnology and Fisheries Research Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University College of Science, M.L. Sukhadia University Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (6), Pages 22-28, June,22 (2017)
Rajsamand Lake is situated in the centre of Rajsamand city. Rajsamand district is situated in the southern part of Rajasthan, India and Rajsamand lake lies between 250 3\'-0”N and 730 54\'-0”E with an altitude of about 559.31 m above the sea level. The WQI was applied to classify water quality as excellent, good, moderately polluted, very poor and unsuitable for drinking purpose. Thirteen physico-chemical parameters were analysed, namely air and water temperature, depth of visibility, pH, dissolved oxygen (DO), electric conductivity (EC), total dissolved solids (TDS), total hardness, total alkalinity, chloride, sulphate, nitrate and phosphate. It was found that the water quality index of Rajsamand lake is 180.105033 which corresponds to “unsuitable for drinking purpose”. This study revealed that the water quality index of Rajsamand lake is polluted and thus requires sufficient treatment, conservation and management.
- Sangu R.P.S., Shanker V. and Sharma S.K. (1987)., An assessment of water quality of river Ganga at Garmukeshwar., Ind. J. Ecol., 14(2), 278-282.
- World Health Organization (2007)., Guidelines for drinking-water quality, Incorporation First Addendum., 1, Recommendations, Third edition, WHO, Geneva.
- Shaw B.P., Sahu A. and Panigrahi A.K. (1991)., Water quality of the Rushikulya river estuary in relation to waste water discharge from a chlor-aikali plant., Poll. Res., 10(3), 139-149.
- Oluduro A.O. and Adewoye B.I. (2007)., Efficiency of moringa Oleifera Sead extract on the micro on the flora of surface and ground water., J. plant Sci., 6, 438-453.
- Sari I. and Wan M.W.O. (2008)., Assessing the water quality index of Air Itam Dam, Penang, Malaysia., ICERT, 601-605.
- Horton R.K. (1965)., An index number system for rating water quality., J Water Poll. Control Feder, 37(3), 300-306.
- Brown R.M., Cleiland M.N.J., Deininger R.J. and Connor M.F.O. (1972)., A water quality index-crashing the psychological barrier., Proc. Int. Conf. on Water Poll. Res., (6), 173-182.
- Chaturvedi M.K. and Bassin J.K. (2010)., Assessing the water quality index of water treatment plant and bore wells, in Delhi, India., Environ. monit. and assess, 163(1-4), 449-453.
- Harkins R.D. (1974)., An objective water quality index., J. Poll. Contrl Fed., 588-591.
- Cude C.G. (2001)., Oregon water quality index a tool for evaluating water quality management effectiveness., Jawra J. Ameri. Water Resor. Assoc., 37(1), 125-137. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2001.tb05480.x
- Kalavathy S., Sharma T.R. and Suresh K.P. (2011)., Water Quality Index River Cauvery in Tiruchirappalli district, Tamilnadu., Arch Environ Sci, 5, 55-61.
- Bamaniya B.R., Kapasya V., Kapoor C.S., Mahecha G.S. and Meena R.S. (2000)., Assesment of water quality index of river Ahar Udaipur, Rajasthan, India., Biotech book (Eds. Dr. D.S. Malik, Dr. Sunil Kumar and Umesh Bharti), 157-169.
- Verma B.K. (2016)., Studies on role of phosphate in relation to production and diversity of Zooplankton in water bodies of South Rajasthan., Ph.D. Thesis, M.L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur.
- Sharma, M.S. (1980)., Studies on plankton and productivity of Udaipur waters in comparison to selected waters of Rajasthan., Ph.D. Thesis, M.L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur.
- Sharma M.S., Sharma L.L. and Durve V.S. (1984)., Eutrophication of the lake Pichhola in Udaipur, Rajasthan., Poll. Res., 3(2), 39-44.
- Sharma L.L. and Gupta M.C. (1994)., Some aspects of limnology of Amarchand reservoir, District Rajsamand, Rajasthan: Physical parameters., Poll. Res., 13(2), 169-177.
- Chisty N. (2002)., Studies on biodiversity of freshwater zooplankton in relation to toxicity of selected heavy metals., Ph.D. Thesis, M.L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur.
- Sharma L.L. and Srivastava R.M. (2014)., Current Scenario of fisheries development in Rajasthan., Fishing Chimes, (34), 5-6.
- Srinivas R., Bhakar P. and Singh A.P. (2015)., Groundwater Quality Assessment in Some Selected Area of Rajasthan, India Using Fuzzy Multi-criteria Decision Making Tool., Aquatic Procedia, (4), 1023-1030.
- Ellis M.M., Westfall B.A. and Ellis M.O. (1948)., Determination of water quality Fish and flora of surface and ground water., J. plant Sci., 6, 453-438.
- APHA (1989)., Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water., American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C. (17th Ed.), 1452.
- Bordalo A.A., Teixerra R. and Wiebe W.J. (2006)., A water quality index applied to an international shared river basin: the case of Douro river., Environ. Manage, 38(6), 910-920. doi:10.1007/s00267- 004-0037-6
- Chatterjee C. and Raziuddin M. (2002)., Determination of Water Quality Index (WQI) of a degraded river in Asansol industrial area(West Bengal)., Nature, Environ. and Poll. Tech., 1(2), 181-189.
- Gaur K.S., Sharma V., Sharma M.S., Modi R. and Verma B.K. (2014)., Water quality assessment in relation to trophic status of the Rana Pratap Sagar Dam and the Chambal River (Rajasthan) India., Health, Safety and Environment, 1(7), 134-153.
- Bellos D. and Sawidis T. (2005)., Chemical pollution monitoring of the River Pinios (Thessalia-Greece)., J. Environ. Manage, 76(4), 282-292.
- Sharma V., Verma B.K. and Sharma M.S. (2012)., Zooplanktonic and fish fauna of lake Pichhola in relation to its trophic status., J. Environ. Sci. Comp. Sci. and Eng. and Tech., 1(3), 301-310.
- Wetzel R.G. (1983)., Limnology., second edition Saunders College Publishing House, U.S.A., 767.
- Vijayvergia R.P. (2008)., Eutrophication: A Case Study of Highly Eutrophicated Lake Udaisagar, Udaipur (Raj.), India with regards to its Nutrient Enrichment and Emerging Consequences., In Proceedings of Taal 12th world lake conference, 1557-1560.
- Sharma R. (2010)., Some aspects of microbiological and trophic status of Udaipur lakes in relation to different limnological parameters., Ph.D. Thesis, M.L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- Spence D.H.N. (1964)., The macrophytic vegetation on freshwater lochs, swamps and associated fens., The vegetation of Scotland (Ed. J.H. Burnett), Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, 306-425.
- Thirupathaiah M., Samatha C. and Sammaiah C. (2012)., Analysis of water quality using physico-chemical parameters in lower manair reservoir of Karimnagar district, Andhra Pradesh., Int. J. Environ. Sci, 3(1), 172-180.
- Mishra S.R. and Saksena D.N. (1993)., Planktonic fauna in relation to physico-chemical characteristics of Gauri tank at Bhind, M.P. India., Advanus in limnology Narendra Publishing House New Delhi, 57-61.
- Sharma V., Sharma R., Malera H. and Sharma M.S. (2009)., Zooplanktonic diversity and trophic status of Mahi dam is relation of physico-chemical characteristic of its water., Poll. Res., 28(4), 571-576.
- Odum E.P. (1971)., Fundamentals of ecology., W.B. Saun-ders Company, Philadelphia, 574.
- Saksena D.N., Garg R.K. and Rao R.J. (2008)., Water quality and pollution status of Chambal river in National Chambal sanctuary, Madhya Pradesh., J. Environ. Bio., 29(5), 701-710.
- Gill G., Corrao G. and Favilli S. (1984)., Concentrations of nitrate in drinking water and incidence of gastric carcinomas, first descriptive study of the Piermente Region Italy., Sci. Total Environ., 34(1-2), 35-48.
- Bharti S.G. and Krishnamurthey S.R. (1990)., Effects of industrial effluents on river Kali around Danderi, Karnataka, Part-I, Physico-chemical complexes., Ind. Jr. or Envi. Hlth., 32(2), 167-171.
- Sharma S., Singh K., Prajapati R., Solnki C.M., Sharma D., Sengupta T., Gandhi T., Chouhan M. and Vyas A. (2011)., Diversity and seasonal abundance of phytoplankton of river Narmada, Madhya Pradesh (India)., World Rural Observation, 3(2), 14-28.