Evaluation of groundwater quality for irrigation purpose in Rediyarchatram block of Dindigul district, Tamil Nadu, India
- 1Department of Geography, M.V. Muthiah Government Arts College for Women, Dindigul, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2Department of Geography, M.V. Muthiah Government Arts College for Women, Dindigul, Tamil Nadu, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (5), Pages 34-39, May,22 (2017)
In the present study the quality of groundwater for irrigation purpose in Rediyatchatram Block of Dindigul District, Tamil Nadu was assessed. Twenty four groundwater samples from the study area randomly collected and analyzed for important chemical parameters such as EC (Electrical conductivity), Ca (Calcium), Mg (Magnesium), Na(sodium), CO3 (carbonate), HCO3 (bicarbonate), SO4 (sulphate), and Cl (chloride). To evaluate the groundwater quality for irrigation purpose, the important water quality criteria such as SAR (Sodium Absorption ratio) EC (Salinity Hazard), SSP (Sodium soluble Percentage), KR (Kelley Ratio), MR (Magnesium ratio), Na (Sodium Percentage), and RSC (Residual Sodium Carbonate) value have been computed from the chemical parameters. The computed result showed that based on SAR and MR ratio the quality of groundwater is excellent for irrigation purpose in the study area. In respect of other criteria the quality ranged from excellent to unsuitable category for agricultural purposes.
- Jain C.K., Bandyopadhyay A. and Bard A. (2012)., Assessment of Ground Water Quality for Irrigation Purpose, District Neonatal, Uttarakhand, India., Journal of Indian Water Resources Society, 32(3-4), 8-14.
- Pradhan S. and Chandrasekharan H. (2009)., Effect of Monsoon Rain on Quality of Groundwater for Irrigation in Gohana Block of Haryana., Journal of Agricultural Physics, 9, 38-43.
- Pichaiah S., Kumar Senthil G.R., Srinivasamoorthy K. and Sarma V.S. (2013)., Hydro chemical Characterization and Quality Assessment Of Groundwater In Tirupur Taluk, Tamil Nadu, India: Emphasis On Irrigation Utility., J. Acad. Indus. Res., 1(12), 805-812.
- Kudu Anindita and Nag Sisal Kant (2015)., International Bulletin Of Water Resources & Development delineation Of Groundwater Quality For Drinking And Irrigation Purposes: A Case Study Of Chant Block, Bandura District, West Bengal., International Bulletin Of Water Resources & Development Journal III (01), X- XXII.
- Asiwaju-Bello Yinusa A., Olabode Franklin O., Duvbiama Omolara A., Iyamu Jeremiah O., Adeyemo Adeyemi A. and Onigbinde Miriam T. (2013)., Hydro chemical Evaluation Of Groundwater In Akure Area,S south-western Nigeria, For Irrigation Purpose., European International Journal Of Science And Technology, 2(8), 235-249.
- Agrawal Ranjana (2009)., Study of Physico-chemical Parameters of Groundwater Quality Of Dudu Town In Rajasthan., Rasayana Journal Of Chemistry, 2(4), 969-971.
- Anbazhagan S., Muthumaniraja C.K., Jothibasu A., Chinnamuthu M. and Rajendran M. (2014)., GIS and Spatial Evaluation of Groundwater Quality For Drinking And Irrigation Purposes In Thalaivasal Block, Southern India., International Journal Of Advanced Earth Science And Engineering, 3(1), 240-253.
- Aimer Muhammad and Khan Aftab Ahmed (2015)., Evaluation of Ground Water Quality For Irrigation Purpose of The Areas of District Bahawalnagar, Pakistan., Journal of Natural Sciences Research, 5(19), 23-26.
- Sharma Manju and Chaudhry Smita (2013)., Assessment of Ground Water Quality In Vicinity of Industries and Along Yamuna River In Yamuna Nagar, Haryana, India., Asian Journal of Science And Technology., 4(10), 054-061.
- Shah S.M. and Mistry N.J. (2013)., Groundwater Quality Assessment for Irrigation Use In Vadodara District, Gujarat, India., International Journal of Biological, Bimolecular, Agricultural, Food And Biotechnological Engineering., 7(7), 719-724.
- Pradhan S. and Chandrasekharan H. (2009)., Effect of Monsoon Rain on Quality of Groundwater for Irrigation in Gohana Block of Haryanas., Journal of Agricultural Physics, 9, 38-43.
- Esam Ismail, Rafat Zaki and Ali Kamel (2015)., Hydrochemistry and Evaluation of Groundwater Suitability for Irrigation and Drinking Purposes in West El- Mina District, North Upper Egypt., Eighteenth International Technology Conferences, 12-14 March, 158- 172.