Assessment of water quality and phytoplankton diversity of Purbasthali Oxbow Lake, West Bengal, India
- 1Department of Environmental Science, Nabadwip Vidyasagar College, Nabadwip, Nadia-741302, West Bengal, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (5), Pages 13-16, May,22 (2017)
The present study deals with the study of water quality and phytoplankton diversity at Purbasthali Oxbow Lake (23°27\\\'5\\\"N 88°20\\\'35\\\"E), West Bengal, India. Collected samples were analyzed according to APHA (1998) for different physicochemical parameters and such as water temperature, pH, turbidity, alkalinity, total dissolved solids, total hardness, chlorides, phosphate, nitrates, dissolved oxygen and biological oxygen demand for a period of three year from January 2013 to December 2016. The results indicated that physicochemical parameters of the water were within the permissible limits and can be used for domestic, irrigation and pisciculture. The present study revealed the presence of 35 species of phytoplankton’s, in which 5 species of cyanophycee and 20 species of chlorophyceae and 10 species of bacillariophyceae. The high relative abundance of chlorophyta is an indicator of productive water ecosystem.
- Buckton S. (2007)., Managing wetlands for sustainable livelihoods at Koshi Tappu., Danphe,16(1), 12-13.
- Prasad S.N., Ramachandra T.V., Ahalya N., Sengupta T., Kumar A., Tiwari A.K., Vijayan V.S. and Vijayan L. (2002)., Conservation of wetlands of India - A review., Tropical Ecology, 43(1), 173-186.
- Fraser L.H. and Keddy P.A. (2005)., The World’s Largest Wetlands., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 498. ISBN 052183404X
- Gowd S. and Kotaiah B. (2000)., Seasonal variation of water quality in a tropical Kalyani reservoir near Tirupati., Indian Journal of Environmental Protection, 20(6), 452-455.
- Sanap R., Pingle S.D., Gunale VR. and Mohite AK. (2008)., Evaluation of water quality by using algal community of Godavari River at Nashik, M.S. India., Indian Hydrobiology, 11(1), 85-89.
- Duran M. and Suicmez M. (2007)., Utilization of both benthic macroinvertebrates and physicochemical parameters for evaluating water quality of the stream Cekerek (Tokat, Turkey)., J. Env. Biol., 28(2), 231-236.
- Jena V., Gupta S. and Matic N. (2013)., Assessment of Kharoon River Water Quality at Raipur by Physico-Chemical Parameters Analysis., Asian Journal of Experimental Biological Science, 4(1), 79-83.
- Saleha J., Islam M.R., Rahman M.M., Rahman M.M.M., Jewel M.A.S., Masood Z. and Hossain M.Y. (2013)., Plankton production in relation to water quality parameters in lentic and lotic water bodies during post-monsoon season in the northwestern Bangladesh., Res. J. Agric. Environ. Manage., 2(9), 270 -277.
- Annalakshmi G. and Amsath A. (2012)., Studies on the hydrobiology of river Cauvery and its tributaries Arasalar from Kumbakonam region with reference to phytoplankton., IJPAES, 2(2), 37-46.
- Sharma B.K. and Lyngdon R.M. (2003)., Abundance and ecology of Net phytoplankton of a subtropical reservoir of Meghalaya. India., Journal of Environment and Conservation, 9(4), 497-503.
- Khatri T.C. (1987)., Seasonal distribution of phytoplankton in Iduki reservoir of Kerala, India., Environmental and Ecology, 5(1), 71-74.
- Ghonel A.S. and Singal S.K. (2015)., Study on pollution sources, water quality and conservation of Rankala Lake , Kolhapur, India., International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science, 3(1), 565-574.
- Ahamed M. and Krishnamurthy R. (1990)., Hydrobiological Studies of Wohar reservoir Aurangabad, (Maharashtra State)., India. J. Envoiron. Biol., 11(3), 335-343.
- A.P.H.A. (1998)., Standard methods for examination of water and waste water., 20th edition. American Public Health Association, Washington DC, USA.
- Pearsall W.H., Gartiner A.C. and Greenshields F. (1946)., Freshwater biology and water supply in Britain., Freshwater Biol. Assoc.. Br. Empire. Pub. II, 1-90.
- Desikachary T.V. (1959)., Cyanophyta I.C.A.R. Monograph on Algae., New Delhi, 686.
- Prescott G.W. (1970)., Algae of the western great lakes areas., Pub Cranbrook Institute of science Bulletin, 33, 1-496.
- Adoni A.D. and Vaishya A.K. (1985)., Phytoplankton productivity: Seasonal, diel and vertical periodicity in a central Indian reservoir., Bull. Bot. Soc. Sagar, 32(3), 219-228.