Impact of rehabilitation on minor irrigation tank performance in Vavuniya district, Sri Lanka
- 1Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (4), Pages 48-50, April,22 (2017)
A pilot study was conducted to assess the impact of rehabilitation on minor irrigation tank performance in Vavuniya district, taking 60 rehabilitated and 55 non-rehabilitated minor irrigation tanks as sample. Tank performance index (TPI) and production performance indicator (PPI) were used as indicators of the tank performance. If the tanks were not maintained in terms of technical activities such as sluice repair and replacement, channel lining and bund strengthening within last 10 years, then those tanks were classified as non rehabilitated tanks otherwise rehabilitated tanks. Average TPI and PPI value for all agricultural seasons in three years from the year 2010 to 2012 between rehabilitated and non-rehabilitated tanks were tested using 2t- test. The average TPI and PPI values during maha season from the year 2010 to 2012 between rehabilitated and non-rehabilitated tanks were significantly different at 5% significance level. Even though the tank rehabilitation is not financially feasible and uneconomical it has lot of environmental and ecological concerns such as habitat for biodiversity, flood protection and contributing groundwater recharge. Hence, some alternate strategies focusing on community participation could improve the tank performance and the sustainable water resource management. Further an in depth investigation is essential to identify the appropriate strategies for tank rehabilitation and its management.
- N.E.A.P. (2001)., National Environmental Action Plan 1988-2001., Ministry of Forestry & Environment, Sri Lanka.
- Statistical handbook of Vavuniya district (2013). Vavuniya District Secretariat, Sri Lanka., undefined, undefined
- Samarakoon N.B. (2004)., A Hydro geological assessment of the Precambrian basement in the area around Vavuniya town as revealed from existing tube well and dug well data (Unpublished MSc report)., Postgraduate Institute of Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- Palanisami K. and Meinzen-Dick R. (2001)., Tank Performance and multiple uses in Tamil Nadu, South India., Irrigation and Drainage Systems, 15(2), 173-195.