Impact of lead on survival and biophysiological parameters of Horn snail, Indoplanorbis exustus Deshayes, 1834
- 1Department of Zoology, Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College, Virudhunagar District, Sivakasi-626124, India
- 2Department of Zoology, Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College, Virudhunagar District, Sivakasi-626124, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (4), Pages 6-12, April,22 (2017)
The toxicity of lead on the biophysiological parameters of fresh water horn snail, Indoplanorbis exustus was evaluated under laboratory condition. Mortality rate was assessed and lethal concentration LD50 was calculated as 9.886 ppm at 96 h. To determine the toxic properties of lead on metabolism the oxygen consumption rate, biochemical content and bioaccumulation rate were observed in adult snail on exposing them to acute and chronic exposure of lead. The oxygen consumption rate and biochemical content showed decrease in increasing exposure time and concentration. The biomagnifications after chronic exposure to lead showed an accumulation rate of 32 ppm in the snail body at higher concentration. The results showed that the snail I. exustus was sensitive to lead on comparing with other tolerant gastropods.
- Khopkar S.M. (1993)., Environmental Pollution Analysis., Wiley Eastern, New Delhi, 10-38.
- Rana S.V.S. (2006)., Environmental Pollution: Health and Toxicology., Narosha Publishing House, New Delhi, 567.
- Warren L.J. (1981)., Contamination of sediments by lead, cadmium and zinc., Environ. Pollut., 2(6), 401-436.
- Drbal K., Pokorny J., Pechar L. and Radova J. (1993)., Migration of heavy metals in freshwater ecosystems., Univ. S. Bohemia.
- Pringal L. (1985)., Rivers and Lakes, Alexandria., Time-Life Books, 573.
- EC report (European Commission Report) (2002)., Heavy Metals in Waste., Project No.: 0058, France.
- Manahan S.E. (1993)., Fundamentals of Environmental Chemistry., Lewis publishers, USA.
- Copes R., Clark N.A., Rideout K., Palaty J. and Teschke K. (2008)., Uptake of cadmium from pacific oysters (Crassostrea gigas) in British Columbia oyster growers., Environ. Res., 107(2), 160-169.
- Lefcort H., Thomson S.M., Cowles E.E., Harowicz H.L., Livaudais B.M., Roberts W.E. and Ettinger W.F. (1999)., Ramifications of predator avoidance: Predator and heavy metal mediated competition between tadpoles and snails., Ecol. Appli., 9(4), 1477-1489.
- Biswas G. (1991)., Snail borne diseases and their role in veterinary public health., snails, flukes and man (Ed.). Zoological survey of India, Calcultta, 73-78.
- Grzimek V. (1970)., Animal life Encyclopedia., Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, 270.
- Hyman L.H. (1967)., The Invertebrates: Aplacophora, Polyplacophora, Monoplacophora, Gastropoda, the Coelomate Bilateria Mollusca I., 4, Mc-Graw Hill Book Company, New York, 548-640.
- Abbott W.S. (1925)., A method of computing the effectiveness of an insecticide., J. Eco. Entomol., 18(2), 265-267.
- Finney D.J. (1972)., Probit Analysis., Cambridge University Press, S. Chand and Co., New Delhi, 283-287.
- Adoni A.D., Jothi G., Ghose K., Chowsia S.K., Vashya A.K., Yadav H. and Verma H.G. (1985)., Workbook of Limnology., Prathiba publishers, Sagar, India, 169.
- Sadasivam S. and Manickam A. (2008)., Biochemical methods, New Age International (P) limited publishers., New Delhi, 4-10.
- Lowry O.H., Rosenbrough N.J., Farr A.L. and Randale R.J. (1951)., Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent., J. Biol. Chem., 193, 265-275.
- Bragdon J.H. (1951)., Estimation of total fat., J. Biol. Chem., 190, 53.
- Jayaraman J. (1981)., Laboratory manual in Biochemistry., Willey Eastern Ltd, Madras, 1-65.
- APHA - American Public Health Association (1990)., Standard methods for the examination of waste and waste water., 17th edition, Ameri. Publ. Health. Assoc. Inc., New York.
- Amusan A.A.S., Anyalee O.O. and Lasisi A.A. (2002)., Effects of copper and lead on growth, feeding and mortality of terrestrial gastropod, Limicolaria flammea (Muller, 1774)., Afr. J. Biomed. Res., 5(1-2), 47-50.
- Harry H.W. and Aldrich D.V. (1963)., The distress syndrome in Taphius glabratus (Say) as a reaction to toxic concentration of inorganic ions., Malacologia, 1(2), 283-289.
- Piyatiratitivorakul P. and Boonchamoi P. (2008)., Comparative toxicity of mercury and cadmium to the juvenile freshwater snail, Filopaludina martensi martensi., Science asia, 34, 367-370.
- Van Dam L. (1954)., On the respiration of scallops., Biol. Bull., 107(2), 192-202.
- Mahajan A.Y. and Zambare S.P. (2005)., Effect of lead chloride on oxygen consumption of the freshwater bivalve Corbicula striatella., J.Aqua. Biol., 230 (2), 184-186.
- Shaikh N. and Yeragi S.G. (2004)., Respiratory response of freshwater gastropod, Viviparus bengalensis exposed to copper, mercury and zinc., J. Aqua. Biol., 19(1), 151-154.
- Scott D.M. and Major C.W. (1972)., The effect of copper on survival, respiration and heart rate in the common blue mussel, Mytilus edulis., Biol. Bull., 143(3), 679-688.
- Baby K.V. and Menon N.R. (1986)., Oxygen uptake in the brown mussel, Perna indica under sub-lethal stress of mercury, cadmium and zinc., Indian J. Mar. Sci., 15, 127-128.
- Patil S.S. and Mane U.H. (1998)., Seasonal variation in oxygen uptake by the bivalve mollusk, Lamellidens marginalis on exposure to mercury stress., J. Aqua. Biol., 13, 81-85.
- Khan A.K., Shaikh A.M. and Ansari N.T. (2001)., Tissue protein level in different body parts of the green muscle, Perna viridis, exposed to Zinc chloride in summer season., J. Aqua. Biol., 16(2), 45-47.
- Satyanathan B.S., Nair M., Jacob C. and Nambisan P.N.K. (1988)., Sub-lethal effects of copper and mercury on some biochemical constituents of the estuarine clam, Villorita cyprinoids var. cochinensis (Hanley)., Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 40(4), 510-516.
- Harvey S.C. (1970)., The pharmacological basis of therapeutics., Mcmillan Co., London, 965-985.
- Anilkumar P. and Zambare S.P. (2007)., Bioaccumulation of mercury in different tissues of Parreysia cylindrica after acute and chronic exposure to mercuric chloride., J. Aqua. Biol., 22(1), 193-197.
- Regoli F., Gorbi S., Fattorini D., Tedesco S., Notti A., Machella N., Bocchetti R., Benedetti M. and Piva F. (2006)., Use of the land snail, Helix aspera as an organism for monitoring ecotoxicologic effects of urban pollution., Environ. Health Perspect., 115(2), 63-69.
- Turkmen A. and Turkmen M. (2005)., Seasonal and spatial variations of heavy metals in the spiny rock oyster, Spondylus spinosus, from coastal waters of Iskenderun Bay, Northern East Mediterranean Sea, Turkey., Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 75(4), 716-722.
- Bower P.M., Simpson H.J., Williams S.C. and Li Y.H. (1978)., Heavy metals in the sediments of foundry cover cold spring in New York., Environ. Sci. Technol., 12(6), 683-687.