Assessment of Oued Seybouse pollution by anionic surfactants and their ecotoxicological effects on the freshwater crustaceans case of Daphnia magna
- 1Laboratory Biology, Water and Environment (LBEE), Faculty SNV-STU, University 8 May 1945, Guelma, Algeria and National Center for Biotechnology Research, Constantine, Algeria
- 2Laboratory Biology, Water and Environment (LBEE), Faculty SNV-STU, University 8 May 1945, Guelma, Algeria and National Center for Biotechnology Research, Constantine, Algeria
- 3National Center for Biotechnology Research, Constantine, Algeria
- 4National Center for Biotechnology Research, Constantine, Algeria
- 5Laboratory Biology, Water and Environment (LBEE), Faculty SNV-STU, University 8 May 1945, Guelma, Algeria
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 6-14, October,22 (2017)
This study was conducted to assess both biological and chemical pollution of Oued Seybouse (Guelma). To achieve that, indicator bacteria of faecal pollution were isolated and counted, and physico-chemical parameters of such watershed including anionic surfactants were measured. Also, acute toxicity of sodium dodecyl sulphate (as an ionic surfactant) was tested on Daphnia magna. According to our results, it was observed that: The values of physico-chemical parameters of pollution were not within the permissible limits as the concentrations of total phosphorus and nitrate exceeded 7 mg/l and 52 mg/l, respectively. The concentration of an anionic surfactant did not exceed the accepted norm but it showed toxic effect on aquatic organisms such as Daphnia magna especially after prolonged exposure to 0.750 mg/l. Regarding the bacterial load, it largely exceeded the accepted standards for the three types of bacteria which are indicators of fecal contamination. In conclusion, this pollution is a consequence of the solid and liquid wild discharges that have a direct and significant impact on the quality of water throughout Oued Seybouse.
- Sunantha G. and Vasudevan N. (2016)., Assessment of perfluorooctanoic acid and perfluoro octane sulfonate in surface water Tamil Nadu, India., Marine Pollution Bulletin, 109(3), 612-618.
- Malaj E.P.C., Von der O.R., Kühnee C.P., Mondy P., Usseglio-Polatera M., Grote W. and Schäfer R.B. (2014)., Organic chemicals jeopardize the health of freshwater ecosystems on the continental scale., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111(26), 9549-9554.
- Cazzolla Gatti R. (2016)., Freshwater biodiversity: a review of local and global threats., International Journal of Environmental Studies, 73(6), 887-904.
- Rabetafika H., Paquot M. and Dubois P. (2006)., Polymers from plants: materials with specific properties for targeted applications in plastic industry., Biotechnology, Agronomy and Environment Society, 10(3), 185-196.
- Brunner P.H., Capri S., Marcomini A. and Giger W. (1988)., Occurrence and behavior of linear alkylbenzenesulphonates, nonylphenol, nonylphenol mono- and nonylphenoldiethoxylates in sewage and sewage sludge treatment., Water Research, 22(12), 1465-1472.
- Gupta S., Pal A., Ghosh P.K. and Bandyopadhyay M. (2003)., Performance of waste activated carbon as a low-cost adsorbent for the removal of anionic surfactant from aquatic environment., Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, 38(2), 381-397.
- Mark U. and Solbé J. (1998)., Analysis of the ecetoxicology aquatic toxicity (EAT) database V .The relevance of Daphnia magna as a representative test species., Chemosphere, 36(1), 155-166.
- Baird D.J. and Van den brink P.J. (2007)., Using biological traits to predict species sensitivity to toxic substances., Ecotoxicology and EnvironmentalSafety, 67(2), 296-301.
- Blayac J. (1912)., Geological Sketch of the Seybouse Basin and someneighboringregions (Esquisse Géologique du Bassin de la Seybouse et de quelques régions voisines)., (France: Cartes et coupes Géologiques), 1-859.
- Djabri L. (1996)., Mechanisms of pollution and vulnerability of Seybouse waters. Geological, industrial, agricultural and urban origins., (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Annaba, Algeria.
- French Agency for Standardization (AFNOR). (2001)., Water- Testing Methods., Collection of the French standards (6th ed). La défence Paris.
- Rodier J., Legube B. and Merlet N. (2009)., Analysis of Water (l’Analyse de l’Eau)., 9th ed. (Paris: Dunod). 1-1579, ISBN 9782100708017.
- Guiraud J.P. (1998)., Food microbiology (Microbiologie alimentaire)., (Paris: Dunod), 1- 652. ISBN9782100708017.
- Delarras C. and Trébaol B. (2003)., Sanitary and microbiological monitoring of water: regulation, sampling, analysis., Lavoisier: Tec & Doc. Paris, French. 1-249.
- Longwell J. and Maniece W.D. (1955)., Determination of anionic detergents in sewage, sewage effluents and river waters., Analyst, Lond, 80, 167-171.
- Goodsell P.J., Underwood A.J. and Chapman M.G. (2009)., Evidence necessary for taxa to be reliable indicators for environmental conditions or impacts., Marine Pollution Bulletin, 58(3), 323-331.
- International Organization for Standarisation (ISO) (2012)., Water quality- Determination of the inhibition of the mobility of Daphnia magna Straus (Cladocera, Crustacea)-Acute toxicity test ISO 6341., ed 4th, 22.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (2004)., Daphnia sp. Acute Immobilisation Test, OECD guideline for the testing of chemicals, N° 202.,
- Fernandez-Alvarez R.M., Carballo-Cuervo S., De La Rosa-Jorge M.C. and Rodriguez-De Lecea J. (1991)., The influence of agricultural run-off on bacterial populations in a river., Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 70(5), 437-442.
- Chahlaoui A. (1996)., Hydrobiologic study of OuedBoufekrane (Meknès), Impact on environement healthe., (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Faculty of Science. Meknès, Morocco.
- Hunter C., Perkins J., Tranter J. and Gunn J. (1999)., Agricultural land-use effects on the indicator bacterial quality of an upland stream in the Derbyshire peak district in the U.K., Water Research, 33(17), 3577-3586.
- Dussart B. (1966)., Limnology Study of continental waters (limnologie études des eaux continentales), (Paris: Gauthier-Villars)., 1-676. ISBN10: 2876470411.
- Bermond R. and Vuichaard R. (1973)., The parameters of waters quality (Les paramètres de la qualité des eaux), (Paris: French documentation)., SPEPE, Paris. 1-179.
- Chapman D. and Kimstach V. (1996)., Selection of water quality variables., Water quality assessments: a guide to the use of biota, sediments and water in environment monitoring, 2nd ed. Chapman edition, E and FN Spon, USA.
- OJAR. (2006)., Official Journal of Algerian Republic., N° 46 of 10-07-06, 7.
- Bobee B., Cäuis D., Goulet M., Lachance M., Potvin L. and Tessier A. (1977)., Evaluation of Water Quality Network (Ministry of Natural Resources of Quebec): analysis and interpretation of data from the 1967-1975 period, Volume 1 (text, tables and figures); Volume 2 (Annexes). INRS-Eau, University of Quebec, Scientific Report n° 78.
- Rejsek F. (2002)., Water analysis, Regulatory and technical aspects., Environmental (Analyse de l
- Berzas J.J., Garcia L.F., Rodriguez R.C. and Martin-Alvarez P.J. (2000)., Evolution of the water quality of managed natural wetland: Tablas de Daimiel National Park (spain)., Water Research, 34(12), 3161-3170.
- Neal A., Griffin P. and Hart M. (2000)., The impact of organizational climate on safety climate and individual behavior., Safety Science, 34, 99-109.
- House W.A., Leach D.V. and Armitage P.D. (2001)., Study of dissolved silicon and nitrate dynamics in a freshwater stream., Water Research, 35(11), 2749-2757.
- National Agency for Hydric Resources (NAHR). (2001)., Report on the water resources of the wilaya of Guelma. Guelma, Algeria., Report N° 12.
- Jonnalagadda S.B. and Mhere G. (2001)., Water quality of odzi river in the eastern highlands of Zimbabwe., Water Research, 35(10), 2371-2376.
- Vega M., Pardo R., Barrado E. and Deban L. (1998)., Assessment of seasonal and pollting effects on the quality of river water by exploratory data analysis., Water Research, 32(12), 3581-3592.
- Da Silva A.M.M. and Sacomani L.B. (2001)., Using chemical and physical parameters to define the quality of pardo river water (Botucatu-Sp-Brasil), Technical Note., Water Research, 35(6), 1609-1623.
- Thoumelin G. (1991)., Presence and behavior in the aquatic environment of linear alkylbenzenesulfonates (LAS) and ethoxylatedalkylphenols (APEs)., Environment and Technology, 12(11), 1037-1045.
- Aboulkacem A., Chahlaoui A., Soulaymani A., Rhazi-Filali C. and Benali F.D. (2007)., Comparative study of the bacteriological quality of the waters of the Oueds of Boufekrane and Ouislane at the crossing of the city of Meknès (Morocco)., Remission, 1(15), 10-22.
- Stavskaya E.S. (1981)., Biologic degradation of anionic surfactant., Sciences.Dumka, 1(5), 105-116.
- Kimmerle R.A. and Swisher R.D. (1977)., Reduction of aquatic toxicity of linear a1kylbenzene sulfonates (LAS) by biodegradation., Water Research, 11(1), 312-315.
- Thoumelin G. (1995)., Surfactants in fresh and marine waters., Reperes Ocean rapport.
- Lewis M.A. (1991)., Chronic and sublethal toxicities of surfactants to aquatic animals: a review and risk assessment., Water Research, 25(1), 101-113.
- Kimerle R.A. (1989)., Aquatic and terrestrial ecotoxicology of linear alkylbenzenesulfonate., Tenside Surfact, 26(2), 169-176.