Assessing the impact of Hydroelectric Power Project on the water quality of Serlui River in Kolasib district, Mizoram, North-East India
- 1Department of Environmental Science, Mizoram University, Aizawl-796001, Mizoram, India
- 2Department of Environmental Science, Mizoram University, Aizawl-796001, Mizoram, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 40-44, September,22 (2016)
Water quality is an important factor for estimating the suitability of water for domestic purposes. The present study was carried out to analyze the impact of hydroelectric project construction on the water quality of Serlui river in Kolasib district, Mizoram. All together, three sampling sites were selected along river from upstream to downstream in vicinity of the hydroelectric power project. The parameters such as Temperature, pH, Electrical Conductivity(EC), Dissolved Oxygen (DO) and Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) were studied seasonally (pre-monsoon, monsoon and post-monsoon seasons) for one year (i.e., from March2015 to February2016). The findings reveal that the temperature ranged from 23.9&
- Sangu R.P.S., Shankar V. and Sharma S.K. (1987)., An assessment of water quality of river Ganga at Garmukeshwar (Ghaziabad), UP., Ind. J. Ecol.,14(20), 278-287.
- Subba Rao C. and Subba Rao N.V. (1995)., Ground water quality in residential colony., Ind. J. Environ. Hlth., 37(4), 295-300.
- PHE (2012)., Department of Public Health Engineering., Bilkhawthlir, Kolasib, Mizoram.
- APHA (2005)., Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water., 21st edition as prescribed by American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association and Water Environment Federation, Washington, D.C.
- WHO (2004)., Guidelines for drinking water quality., l(1), 3rd Edition, Geneva, Switerland.
- BIS (1983)., Manual for Specifications for Drinking Water., BIS, 10500, New Delhi.
- USPH (1962)., Drinking Water Standards., P.H.S. Pub. U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Washington D.C., 965.
- Abdo M.H. (2005)., Physico-chemical characteristics of Abuza ‘Baal Ponds’, Egypt., Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Research.,31(2), 1-15.
- Bhatt R.P., Khanal S.N. and Maskey R.K. (2011)., Water quality impacts of hydropower project operation in Bhotekoshi river basin Sindhulpal Chowk District in Nepal., International Journal of Plants, Animals and Environmental Sciences.,1(1), 88-101.
- Ahipathi M.V. and Putlaiah E.T. (2006)., Ecological Characteristics of Vrishabhavathi river in bangalore, India., Environmental Geology., 49, 1217-1222.
- Mishra B.P. and Tripathi B.D. (2000)., Sewage quality analysis: Pollutants removal efficiency of a sewage treatment plant., J.Ind. Pollut. Contr., 16(2), 239-251.
- Mishra B.P. and Tripathi B.D. (2001)., Impact of city sewage discharge in physico-chemical characteristics of river Ganga water., Asian J. Micro, Biotech and Env. Sc., 3(4), 333-338.
- Mishra B.P. and Tripathi B.S. (2003)., Seasonal variation in physico-chemical characteristics of Ganga water as influenced by sewage discharge., Indian J. Ecol., 30, 27-32.
- Bharali Jasmine., Baruah B.K. and Sarma H.P. (2008)., Studies on physico-chemical characteristics of water of the wetlands in Kaziranga National Park, Assam., Poll Res., 27(3), 591-597.
- Singh M.R. and Gupta A. (2010)., Seasonal variation in certain physico-chemical parameters of Imphal, Iril and Thoubal rivers from Manipur river system, India., Ecology, Environment and Conservation., 16(2), 197-207.
- Lalparmawii S. and Mishra B.P. (2001)., Seasonal variation in water quality of Tuirial River in vicinity of the hydel project in Mizoram, India., Sci Vision., 12(4), 159-163.
- Shivayogimath C.B., Kalburgi P.B., Deshannavar U.B. and Virupakshaiah D.B.M. (2012)., Water quality evaluaton of river Ghataprabha, India., I Research Journal of Environment Sciences., 1(1), 12-18.
- Rajiv P., Hasna A S., Kamaraj M., Rajeshwari S. and Sankar A. (2012)., Physico chemical and microbial decomposition of different river waters in western Tamil Nadu, India., Res. J. Environment Sci.1(1), 2-6.