Fish fauna of the Seeta river in Udupi district, Karnataka, Western Ghats, India
- 1Department of Applied Zoology, Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri, Mangalore, 574 199, Karnataka, India
- 2Department of Applied Zoology, Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri, Mangalore, 574 199, Karnataka, India
- 3Department of Biosciences, Mangalore University, Mangalagangothri, Mangalore, 574 199, Karnataka, India and Conservation of Coastal and Marine Resources Division, National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management, Chennai 600 025, TN, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 67-71, September,22 (2016)
An attempt has been made to understand the diversity of freshwater fishes in the Seeta river of Udupi district (Karnataka). A total number of 20 species belonging to 11 different families (Cyprinidae, Bagridae, Siluridae, Claridae, Belonidae, Ambassidae, Lobotidae, Haemulidae, Cichlidae, Channidae and Mastacembelidae) was identified from five different stations of this river over a period of August 2007-February 2008. However, for species, which are rare in the catch, the descriptions were based on fewer specimens. In the present study, the largest fish was Clarias dossumieri (37 cm) and the smallest fish was Etroplus suratensis (8.6 cm). The habitats of fishes are changed drastically due to they are under serious threat. The study provides an overall view of all such information to understand the availability of the fishes in the Seeta river.
- Myers N., Mittermeier R.A., Mittermeier C.G., Da Fonseca G.A. and Kent J. (2000)., Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities., Nature, 403, 853-858.
- Ponnaiah A.G. and Gopalakrishnan A. (2000)., Endemic fish diversity of Western Ghats., NBFGR-NATP Publication-1, National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow, 1-347, ISBN: 81-901014-2-0.
- Reddy S.R. and Shakuntala K. (2006)., Fish faunal biodiversity and tank fisheries resources of Karnataka with special reference to freshwater habitats in and around Bangalore., Proc. of the workshop on ichthyofaunal biodiversity in the aquatic systems of Karnataka, KVASU, College of Fisheries, Mangalore, 19-25.
- Ahmad S., Venkateshwarlu M., Honneshappa K. and Tantray A.K. (2011)., Fish diversity of Sogane and Santhekadur tanks, Shimoga, Karnataka, India., Curr. Biot., 5, 46-55.
- Kumuda (2000)., A study on distribution of fishes in Gurpur river of Dakshina Kannada (Unplublised M.Sc. dissertation)., Department of Applied Zoology, Mangalore University, India.
- Vijaykumar K., Vijaylaxmi C. and Parveen Z. (2008)., Ichthyofaunal diversity of Kagina river in Gulbarga district of Karnataka., The Ecoscan, 2, 161-163.
- Vijaylaxmi C. and Vijaykumar K. (2011)., Biodiversity of fish fauna of the Bheema river in Gulbarga district of Karnataka., The Ecoscan, 5, 21-25.
- Thirumala S., Kiran B.R. and Kantaraj G.S. (2011)., Fish diversity in relation to physio-chemical characteristics of Bhadra reservoir of Karnataka, India., Adv.Appl.Sci. Res., 2, 34-37.
- Shivashankar P. and Venkataramana G.V. (2012)., Ichthyodiversity status with relation to water quality of Bhadra river, Western Ghats, Shimoga district, Karnataka., Annals Biol. Res., 3, 4893-4903.
- Narasimhaiah N., Rekha K. and Tenjing S.Y. (2013)., Ichthyofaunal diversity of selected centres of Nandini river of the Western Ghats, Karnataka, India., J. Scien. Trans. Env. and Tech., 6, 146-150.
- Vijaylaxmi C., Rajshekhar M. and Vijaykumar K. (2010)., Freshwater fishes distribution and diversity status of Mullameri River, a minor tributary of Bheema River of Gulbarga District, Karnataka., International J. Sys. Biol., 2, 1-9.
- Anandhi D.U., Sharath Y.G. and Prashanth R.G. (2013)., Study of ornamental fish diversity andwater quality of Adda Hole stream, Kabbinale forest range, Western Ghats., Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 4, 158-164.
- Prasad A.G.D., Venkataramana G.V. and Thomas M. (2009)., Fish diversity and its conservation in major wetlands of Mysore., J. Environ. Biol., 30, 713-718.
- Talwar P.K. and Jhingran A.G. (1991)., Inland fishes of India and adjacent countries., 1 and 2, Oxford & IBH Pub, New Delhi, 1-1158, ISBN set-81-204-0639-7.
- Jayaram K.C. (1999)., Freshwater fishes of the Indian region., Narendra Publishing House, Delhi, 1-551, ISBN 10: 819079521X.
- Naik A.S.K., Kumar J., Benakappa S. and Somashekara S.R., Anjanayappa H.N., Manjappa N. and Mahesh V. (2014)., Ichthyofaunal diversity of Chulkinala reservoir., Int. Sci. Rep., 8, 48-60.
- Madhav Gadgil (2004)., Karnataka State Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (KBSAP) As a part of National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan – NBSAP., ENVIS Tech. Rep. no. 15, Central for Ecological Sciences, IIS, Banglore, 1-418.
- IUCN (2000)., IUCN Red list of threatened species., version 2015-4, IUCN Species Survival Commission, Union, Gland, Switzerland, www.iucnredlist.org, downloaded on 20 June 2016.
- Lakra W.S. (2010)., Threatened freshwater fishes of India., NBFGR Publication Lucknow, India, 1-20, ISBN:978-81-905540-5-3.
- Kiran B.R. (2011)., Diversity, Distribution and Abundance of Murrels and Catfish Resources in Some Wetlands of Karnataka, India., Asian J.Exp. Biol. Sci., 2, 349-353.
- Bhat M., Nayak V.N., Chandran M.D.S. and Ramachandra T.V. (2014)., Fish distribution dynamics in the Aghanashini estuary of Uttara Kannada, west coast of India., Curr. Sci., 106, 1739-1744.
- Thomson K.T. (2003)., Economic and social management of estuarine biodiversity in the west coast of India., Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin, 1-282.
- Shahnawaz A., Venkateshwarlu M., Somashekar D.S. and Santosh K. (2010)., Fish diversity with relation to water quality of Bhadra River of Western Ghats (India)., Environ. Monit. Assess., 161, 83-91.
- Shreekantha M.D., Mesta D.K., Rao G.R., Gururaja K.V. and Ramachandra T.V. (2007)., Fish diversity in relation to landscape and vegetation in central Western Ghats, India., Curr. Sci., 92, 1592-1603.
- Basavaraja D., Narayana J., Kiran B.R. and Puttaiah E.T. (2014)., Fish diversity and abundance in relation to water quality of Anjanapura reservoir, Karnataka, India., Int. J. Curr. Micro. Appl. Sci., 3, 747-757.
- Naik A.S.K., Somashekara S.R., Kumar J., Mahesh V., Benakappa S., Anjaneyappa H.N. and Nayana P. (2013)., Assessment of Fish Biodiversity in Upper Mullamari Reservoir, Basavakalyan, Karnataka (India)., Int. J. Fish. Aqua. Sci., 3, 13-20.