Global Warming Effects on Water Resources: An Overview
- 1Civil Engg. Deptt., GEU, Dehradun, UK, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 70-74, July,22 (2016)
Water resources are highly responsive to climate variation in all time and space scales. During the last century, the global runoff is increased by about 3%. The amount of various greenhouse gases has been enlarging over the time. The accumulation of greenhouse gases is causing increase in global warming effects. After 1950, a number of ascertained alterations are new over tenner to millennium1 .The ill-effects on nature can be observed as ocean and atmosphere are getting warmer, the quantity of ice and snow are melting and the sea level is raised up. From the last 30 years there has been consecutively heater atmosphere in the Earth’s surface with respect to any decade since 1850. In northern hemisphere the 30 year duration between 1983-2012 was found to be the most heater period. Over the period 1880-2012, a warming of about 0.85[0.65-1.06] °C in temperature data of land and ocean surface averaged globally is calculated. It is the complete extent of scientific practices all together, like meteorology, geology and oceanography, but no one knows the real effects for specified parts in the world. Even every scientist agrees global warming will have plenty ill effects on earth and i.e. on the climate and water resources.
- Pachauri R.K. and Meyer L.A. (2014)., Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change., IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 151.
- Novaky B. (2013)., Effect of Global Warming on Water Resource and Supplies., Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS) Climate Change, Human Systems and Policy-1.
- Field C.B., Barros V.R., Dokken D.J., Mach K.J., Mastrandrea M.D., Bilir T.E., Chatterjee M., Ebi K.L., Estrada Y.O., Genova R.C., Girma B., Kissel E.S., Levy A.N., MacCracken S., Mastrandrea P.R. and White L.L. (2014)., Linking climate change and water resources: impacts and responses. Summary for policymakers., In: Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Section 3, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 33-52.
- Kumar S., Himanshu S.K. and Gupta K.K. (2012)., Effect of Global Warming on Mankind - A Review., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences, 1(4), 56-59.
- Wikipedia (2015)., Climate change mitigation., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_mitigation.
- Richard M. Adams and Dannele E Peck (2008)., Effects of climate change on water resource., Choices, The magazine of food, farm, and resource issues, http://www.climatehotmap.org/, 23(1), 12-14.
- Union of Concerned Scientists, (2011)., Global Warming Effects around the World., National Headquarters2 Brattle Square, Cambridge, MA 02138-3780.
- Edenhofer O., R. Pichs-Madruga Y. Sokona, E. Farahani, S. Kadner, K. Seyboth, A. Adler, I. Baum, S. Brunner, P. kemeier, B. Kriemann, J. Savolainen, S. Schlömer, C. von Stechow, T. Zwickel and J. C. Minx (2014)., Climate Change 2014: Mitigation of Climate Change., Contribution of Working Group III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [IPCC], Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 1251–1274.
- Hansen J., Ruedy R., Sato M. and Lo, K. (2010)., Global Surface Temperature Change., Rev. Geophys., 48, RG4004, doi: 10.1029/2010RG000345.
- GRACE Communications Foundation, (2015)., The Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources., http://www.gracelinks.org/2380/the-impact-of-climate-change-on-water-resources, 215 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10016, United States.
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, (1998)., Status of ratification [Electronic resource]., Kyoto Protocol: Status of Ratification, http://unfccc.int/kyoto_ protocol/status_of_ratification/items/2613.php.