Purview of Public Solid Waste Collection, Disposal and Management Practices in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
- 1Department of Geoinformatics and Surveying, Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Uyo. Uyo, Nigeria
- 2Minsitry of Land, Housing and Survey, Giginya Secretariat, Sokoto State, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 55-63, July,22 (2016)
Recent global awareness in environmental monitoring, protection and management raises strings of probes into human practices and influence on the environment. The inquisition into the methods and practice of waste disposal raises much questions among environmental scientist, and analyst, hence the need for this presentation. Analysis of the practice in Akwa Ibom State and its impact was undertaken in a bid to assessing the existing system and proposing enhancement of the system. The collection of spatial data for the waste collection and disposal sites were obtained from field and social survey. Existing solid waste records from the Akwa Ibom State Waste Management Agency was used as ancillary and base data.
- Danbuzu L., Tanko A., Ibrahim U. and Ahmed M., (2014)., Spatial Distribution of Solid Waste Collection Points Using GIS Approach in Urban Katsina, Katsina State, Nigeria., American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER), 3(7), 107-116.
- Benedine A., Robert T. and Abbas I. (2011)., The Impact of Spatial Distribution of Solid Waste Dumps on Infrastructure in Samara, Zaria, Kaduna State, Kaduna State, Nigeria using geographic information systems (GIS)., Research Journal of Information Technology, 3(3), 113-117.
- Ebistu T. and Minale A. (2013)., Solid Waste Dumping Site Suitability Analysis Using Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing for Bahir Dar Town, North Western Ethiopia., African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 7(11), 976-989.
- Northern Territory Environment Protection Authority (NTEPA), (2003)., Guidelines for the Siting, Design and Management of Solid Waste Disposal Sites in the Northern Territory., http://www.ntepa.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ file/0020/136460/siting_design_landfills.pdf. Accessed on 11/21/2015.
- Ojiabor A.D. (2014)., EHS 317: Solid Waste Management, Lecture Material of School of Science and Technology., National Open University of Nigeria, 108 -298 .
- Lang P. (2015)., Solid Waste Management; Lecture Note University of Melbourne., http://epget.bme.hu/en/ component/phocadownload/category/35-ag04?download= 172:swm-lecture-notes Accessed on 11/14/2015.
- Encyclopædia Britannica (2015)., Solid Waste Management., Encyclopedia Britannica Inc. http://www. britannica.com/technology/refuse-disposal-system, Accessed on 11/25/2015.
- Ogwueleka T. (2009)., Municipal Solid Waste characteristics and Management in Nigeria., Iran Journal of Environmental Health Science Engineering, 6(3), 173-180.
- Abdulai H., Rafaat H., Bevilacqua E. and Storrings M. (2015)., GIS Based Mapping and Analysis of Municipal Solid Waste Collection System in Wa, Ghana., Journal of Geographic Information System, 7, 85-94.
- Duncan M. (2008)., Application of GIS in Waste Management in Uyo Metropolis., Unpublished B.Sc Project submitted to the Department of Geoinformatics and Surveying, University of Uyo, Uyo.
- Huang J.Y.C. (2009)., Solid Waste Disposal., Microsoft® Encarta® (DVD). Redmond, WA, Microsoft Corporation.
- Inyang E. (2012)., Problems and Prospects of Waste Disposal in Port-Harcourt Metropolis., https://plus. google.com/109436354581301029380, Accessed on 10/01/2016.
- Bartl A. (2014)., Moving from recycling to waste prevention: A review of barriers and enables., Waste Management & Research, 32(9) Supplement, 3-18 wmr.sagepub.com.
- Babalola A., Ishaku H., Busu I. and Majid M. (2010)., The Practice and Challenges of Solid Waste Management in Damaturu, Yobe State, Nigeria., Journal of Environmental Protection, 1, 384-388
- Inyang S.A. (2015)., Application of GIS in Solid Waste Management in Uyo Metropolis., Unpublished B.Sc Project of Department of Geoinformatics and Surveying, University of Uyo, Uyo.
- Uwadiegwu B.O. and Chukwu K.E. (2013)., Strategies for Effective Urban Solid Waste Management in Nigeria., European Scientific Journal, 9(8), 296-308
- AKSEPWA (2015)., Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWA) Report., AKSEPWA, Uyo.