Analysis of Water Quality Parameters and Heavy Metals Concentration from the Selected sites of Tamiraparani River, Tirunelveli District, Tamilnadu, India
- 1Sri Paramakalyani Centre for Environmental Sciences, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Alwarkurichi, Tirunelveli-627412, TN, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 47-54, July,22 (2016)
In this present investigation deals with the physio-chemical and heavy metals analysis from the selected study areas of river Tamiraparani, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India. The water samples were collected from the Thalaianai and Cheranmadevi sites during the pre-monsoon, post-monsoon and summer. The parameters were performed with the standard methods of APHA, 2005. Water samples elements were determined by using Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS). The parameters analyzed were Air temperature, Water temperature, pH, Electrical conductivity, Hardness, Alkalinity, Dissolved oxygen, Chemical oxygen demand and Biological oxygen demand. The heavy metals were found at Cheranmadevi site only but not in Thalaianai site. Most of the pollution accrued in the Cheranmadevi river due to modern wastage and anthropogenic impacts. Hence, these selected river sites polluting and aggregate outcomes are a danger to the whole environment.
- Mishra D.D and Dara S.S. (2011)., A Textbook of Environmental Chemistry and Pollution Control., 9th ed., 1-536. ISBN-13 9788121908832.
- Revenga C. and Y. Kura (2003)., Status and Trends of Biodiversity of Inland Water Ecosystems., Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal, Technical Series no. 11.
- Lakra W. S., Sarkar U.K., Kumar. R.S., Pandey A., Dubey, V.K. and Gusain O. K. (2013)., Fish diversity, habitat ecology and their conservation and management issues of a tropical River in Ganga basin, India., Environmentalist., 30(4), 306-319, DOI 10.1007/s10669-010-9277-6.
- Shivashankar P and Venkataramana GV. (2012)., Ichthyodiversity status with relation to water quality of Bhadara River, Western Ghats, Shimoga District, Karnataka., Annals of biological research, 3(10), 4893-4903.
- Kumar N. (1997)., A View on Freshwater environment, . Ecol. Env & Cons. 3, 3-4.
- Moore P.D., Daniel T.C., Gilmour J.T., Shereve B. R., Edward, D.R. and Wood, B.H. (1998)., Decreasing Metal Runoff from Poultry Litter with Aluminium Sulfate., J. Env. Qual. 27, 92-99.
- Casciano D. A. (1991)., Introduction: historical perspectives of genetic toxicology., Li, A.P. & R.H. Heflich) Genetic Toxicology, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, pp. 1–12.
- Nussey G. (1998)., Metal Ecotoxicology of the Upper Olifants river at selected localities and the effect of copper and zinc on fish blood physiology., Ph.D- thesis, Rand Afrikaans University, South Africa.
- Tulasi S.J., Reddy P.U.M and Ramano Rao J.V. (1989)., Effects of lead on the spawning potential of the freshwater fish, Anabas testudineus., Bulletin Environmental Contamination Toxicology. 43:858-863.
- Rishi K.K and Jain M. (1998)., Effect of toxicity of cadmium on scale morphology in cyprinus carpio (Cyprinidae)., Bulletin Environmental Contamination Toxicology., 60, 323-328.
- Winkler L.W. (1988)., Die Bestimmung des in Wasser gelosten Sauerstoffen., Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft, 21, 2843-2855.
- APHA (2005)., Standard methods for the examination of water-and-wastewater., 21th Edn., APHA, AWWA, WPCF, Washington, D.C.
- Basavaraja D., Narayana J., Kiran B.R. and Puttaiah E.T. (2014)., Fish diversity and abundance in relation to water quality of Anjanapura reservoir, Karnataka, India., Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci., 3(3), 747-757.
- Bristi Dutta, Debojit Baruah and Biswas S.P. (2016)., Water quality assessment of River Dikhow, Assam, India Using biological water quality criteria., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences. 5(5), 12-17.
- Sujata Sen Mrinal Kanti Paul and Madhab Borah (2011)., Study of some physico-chemical parameters of pond and river water with reference to correlation study., International journal of chem. Tech research, CODEN (USA): IJCRGG. 3(4), 1802-1807.
- Sabaridasan A., Palanikani R. and Soranam R. (2015)., Efficacy of certain Compounds in Controlling major Fish pathogens and Physio-chemical Parameter analysis from two ponds at Alwarkurichi village, Tirunelveli district in Tamilnadu, India., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences. 4(2), 32-36.
- Senthamil selvan K., Palanivel M., Jayakumar R and Sherly Jennifer A. (2016)., Environmental Impact Analysis of Physico chemical Characterization of Landfill leachate from Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) dump yard in Dharapuram Town, Tamil Nadu, India., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences, 5(1), 13-20.
- Wetzel R.G. (1975)., W.B. Limnology., Sundersa Co., Philadelphia. USA, 743.
- Penn M.R., Pauer J.J and Mihelcic J.R. (2015)., Biological Oxygen Demand., Environmental and Ecological Chemistry, 2.
- Praveen Tamot, Rajeev Mishra and Somdutt. (2008)., Water Quality Monitoring of Halali Reservoir with Reference to Cage Aquaculture as a Modern Tool for Obtaining Enhanced Fish Production., Post Graduate Department of Zoology, Govt. Motilal Vigyan Mahavidhayala, Bhopal, Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Powerkheda, Hoshangabad.
- Tamot P. and Bhatnagar G. P. (1989)., Studies on raw water quality of upper lake and its change during various stages of treatment at five M.G.D. Water treatment plant (P.H.E.D) Bhopal (M.P)., J Hydrobiology, 5(1), 35-38.
- Hannan H.H., Barrows Fuchs, B.B. Segura, R.D. and Whitenberg, D.C. (1978)., Limnological operational factors affecting water quality in Canyon Reservoir, Texas., Environmental Effects of Hydraulic Engineering works, E.E. Driver and W.O. Wunderlich (eds.), Tenn. Valley Authority, Norris, Tennesse., 39-48.
- Tamot P. Shrivastava P. Khate S. Gupta R. and Roy S. (1990)., Ind Zoospect., 2, 21-26.
- Zutshi D.P., Subla B.A., Khan M.A., and Wanganeo A. (1980)., Comparative limnology of nine lakes of Jammu and Kashmir Himalayas., Hydrobiologia, 72, 101-112.
- Taylor E. W. (1949)., Thresh Beale and suckling’s. The examination of waters and water supplies., 6th edition, Blakiston San and Co. London.
- Moyle J.B. (1949)., Some indices of lake productivity., Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc., 76, 322-334.
- Heyman U. (1983)., Relation between production and biomass of phytoplankton in four Swedish lakes of different trophic status and humic content., Arch. Hybiol., 114, 321-347.
- Alam M. G. M., Tanaka A., Allinson G., Laurenson L. J. B., Stagnitti F. and Snow E. T. (2002)., A comparison of trace element concentrations in cultured and wild carp (Cyprinus carpio) of Lake Kasumigaura, Japan., Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety., 53, 348.
- Schwartz J. (1994)., Air pollution and daily mortality: A review and metal - analysis., Environ. Res., 64, 26-35.
- James W.M. (1991)., Inorganic contaminations of surface water: Research and monitoring properties., Springer-Veralag., New York, 334.
- Manjesh Kumar., Shwetabh Chandra Subhash and Mithlesh Kumar Jha. (2016)., Heavy metals concentration Assessment in Ground water and General public Health aspects around Granite mining sites of Laxman pura, U.P., Jhansi, India., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences. 5(1), 1-6.
- Zuane J. D. (1990)., Hand Book of Drinking Water Quality., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 47-151.
- Manivel T., Mukesh M.V., Chandrasekaran A., Muthukumarasamy R and Rajmohan R. (2016)., Geochemical Distribution of Trace Metals in Water of Lower Gadilam River, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu, India., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences. 5(4): 33-41.
- Forstner U. and Wittmann G. T. W. (1983)., Metal Pollution in the Aquatic Environment., Springer - Verlag, New York, 18.