Study on Aerobic In-vessel composting of Food Waste
- 1Department of Civil Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of technology, Coimbatore, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 33-41, July,22 (2016)
This study is about the management of food waste by means of aerobic In-vessel composting that has been carried out in laboratory scale with the primary objective pertaining to on site composting of food waste generated in hotels, markets and thus making it as a source of revenue. Three trials have been carried out with different mix ratios, bulking agents and starting cultures. The process has been monitored based on parameters like pH, Height (volume reduction), Organic Matter, organic carbon, Moisture content, Dry matter, Ash content and finally the compost is mixed with soil to check the plant growth and its yield. According to the findings the best suitable ratios will suggested to be implemented in large scale.
- USEPA (2016)., Municipal Solid Waste., https//www3.epa.gov/epawaste/nonhaz/municipal, 20/03/2016.
- Salman Zafar (2016)., Food waste Management in USA., Bioenergy Consult, www.bioenergyconsult.com, 20/03/2016.
- Saumithra Chaudhuri Committee (2016)., India wastes Rs44000 cr worth food every year., www.deccanherald.com, 23/03/2016.
- Carolyn E. Zezima, Esq. (2016)., Seven tips for a successful Food waste collection and composting program., https://www.assistedhousinginsider.com. 23/03/2016.
- Atalia K.R., Buha D.M., Bhavsar K.A. and Shah N.K. (2015)., A Review on Composting of Municipal Solid Waste., IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT).
- Danielle Aslam M.S. (2016)., The science behind In-Vessel Composting., 25th annual biocycle west coast conference, www.ppt2txt.com, 25/03/2016.
- US Composting Council (2016)., Test Methods and Parameters., www.compostingcouncil.org/test-methods-parameters/, 25/03/2016.
- Chun-Jiang Ana, Guo-He Huanga, Yao Yaoa, Wei Suna and Kai Anb (2012)., Performance of in-vessel composting of food waste in the presence of coal ash and uric acid., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 203-204, 38-45.
- Mohammed Rihani, Dimitri Malamis, Bouchra Bihaoui, Samira Etahiri, Maria Loizidou and Omar Assobhei (2010)., In-vessel treatment of urban primary sludge by aerobic composting., Bioresource Technology, 101, 5988-5995.
- Azizul Moqsud M., Habibur Rahman M., Shigenori Hayashi and Y Jun Du (2008)., An assessment of modified composting barrel for sustainable organic waste management in Bangladesh., Journal of Solid Waste Technology & Management, 34(1).
- Tiamiyu R.A., Ahmed H.G. and Muhammad A.S. (2012)., Effect of Sources of Organic Manure on Growth and Yields of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.) in Sokoto, Nigeria., Nigerian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, 20(3), 213-216.
- CPCB (2006)., Characterization of compost quality and application of compost and sewage., Sludge in agriculture, central pollution control board, CUPS/59/2005-06.
- Tracy Allen and Solomon Kariuki (2014)., Ref. No. SPTTL_8 Soil and Plant Tissue Testing Laboratory., http://soiltest.umass.edu.
- Behera P.K. (2006)., Soil and solid waste analysis A Laboratory Manual., dominant publishers and distributors, ISBN 81-7888-406-2.