Effect of Urbanization on Nest building behavior of Columba livia domestica Gmelin, 1789
- 1Aquatic Ecology and Biodiversity Research Lab, Department of Zoology, Manikya Lal Verma Government College Bhilwara, Rajasthan, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 1-5, June,22 (2016)
The process of urbanization has varied impacts on inhabiting population of birds because of habitat fragmentation and availability of nest building material being used. In this study the nest building behavior of Columba livia Gmelin, 1789 was monitored from nest site selection to chick being fledged. Urbanization changes original habitat and reduce available areas for breeding and other related activities like nest site selection and choice of nest building material. This leads to use of unusual nest material and increase the nestling mortality.
- Gaston K.J., Smith R.M., Thompson K. and Warren P.H. (2005)., Urban domestic gardens (II): experimental tests of methods for increasing biodiversity., Biodiversity and Conservation,14, 395–413.
- Kristan W.B. and Boarman W.I. (2007)., Effects of anthropogenic developments on common raven nesting biology in the West Mojave Desert., Ecological Applications, 17, 1703-1713.
- Ali A.M.S, Asokan S., Manikannan R. and Radhakrishnan P. (2011)., Checklist and nesting patterns of avifauna in and around Mayiladuthurai region, Tamil Nadu, India., Journal of threatened taxa, 3(6), 1842–1850.
- Dial K.P. (2003)., Evolution of avian locomotion: correlates of flight style, locomotors modules, nesting biology, body size, development and the origin of flapping flight., The Auk, 120(4), 941– 952.
- Fernandez-Juricic E. (2000)., Bird community composition patterns in urban parks of Madrid: the role of age, size and isolation., Ecological research, 15, 373-383.
- Kenny S. P. and Knight R.L. (1992)., Flight distances of black-billed magpies in different regimes of human density and persecution., The Condor, 94, 545-547.
- Wang W.P., Chen S.H., Jiang P.P. and Ding P., (2008)., Black-billed Magpies (Pica pica) adjust nest characteristics to adapt to urbanization in Hangzhou, China., Can. J. Zool., 86, 676–684.
- Cooper and Blumstein D.T. (2015)., Sensory systems and escape behavior., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 323- 342.
- Partecke J, Schwabl I. and Gwinner E. (2006)., Stress and the city: Urbanization and its effects on the stress physiology in European blackbirds., Ecology, 87, 1945-1952.
- Marzluff J.M. (2001)., Worldwide urbanization and its effects on birds., Avian ecology in an urbanizing world, Springer, 19-47.
- Marzluff J.M., Bowman R., Donnelly R. (Eds.), (2001)., Avian Ecology and Conservation in an Urbanizing World., Springer.
- Chace J.F. and Walsh J.J. (2006)., Urban effects on native avifauna: A review., Landscape Urban Plan., 74, 46–69.
- Ali S. (2002)., The Book of Indian Birds., Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 326.
- Donnelly R. (2002)., Design of habitat reserves and settlement for bird conservation in the Seattle metropolitan area., Dissertation, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- Donnelly R. and Marzluff J.M. (2004)., Importance of reserve size and landscape context to urban bird conservation., Conservation Biology, 18, 733–745.
- Sengupta S. (1982)., Studies in the life history of the Common Myna, Acridotheres tristis., Proc. Zool. Soc. Calcutta., 21, 1-27.
- Dhandhukia and Patel (2012)., Selection of nesting sites and nesting material in common myna (Acridotheres tristis) in an arban area., Int. Journ of Pharma and life Science, 3(8), 1897-1904.
- Shuker KPN. (2001)., The Hidden Powers of Animals: Uncovering the Secrets of Nature., Marshall Editions Ltd., London, 240.
- Wimberger P.H. (1984)., The use of green plant material in bird nests to avoid ectoparasites., The Auk, 101, 615-618.
- Clark L. and Mason J.R. (1985)., Use of nesting material as insecticidal and antipathogenic agents by the European Starling., Oecologia, 67, 169-176.
- Joshi A.K. and Bhatnagar C. (2015)., The diversity and distribution of birds in a moderately developed urban habitat at gulabpura, Rajasthan, India., International Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, 4(12), 82-92.
- Kalsi R.S. and Kalsi R. (1992)., Unusual nesting behavior in the Domestic Pigeon Columba livia Gmelin., J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc., 89, 253-254.
- Soniya V.P. (2002)., Unusual nesting material in the nest of Blue Rock Pigeon Columba livia Gmelin., J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc., 99(3), 527.