A Report on-Colour Variation in the flowers of Vanda tessellata (Roxb.) Hook. ex. G.Don–An Endangered Medicinal Orchid
- 1Department of Botany, Sarojini Naidu Govt. Girls Post Graduate (Autonomus) College Shivaji Nagar, Bhopal, M.P, India
- 2Department of Botany, Govt. Maharani Laxmi Bai Girls Post Graduate (Autonomous) College, Bhopal, M.P, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (4), Pages 47-49, April,22 (2016)
The present research work report the colour variation in flowers of Vanda tessellata, an epiphytic orchid. It is found in warm and humid tropical forest. The original colour of its flowers is purplish. But in field survey around the forest of Madhya Pradesh it was found that in the same forest some plants were bearing light yellowish coloured flower with very light shaded lip, whereas some were found in its original purplish shade. Through observations it can be concluded that changes in environmental condition along with other parameters could be a cause for such variation in its colour.
- Peter F. Stevens (2001)., Angiosperm Phylogeny Website, Version 13. Missouri Botanical Garden.
- Wentzel Emily (2011)., Orchidaceae. Orchids., NDSU, Fall.
- Fernando M., Wijesundara S. and Fernando S. (2003)., Orchids of Sri Lanka: A Conservationist, IUCN.
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2012)., The National Red List 2012 of Sri Lanka: Conservation Status of the Fauna and Flora., Ministry of Environment, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Ghani A. (2003)., Medicinal plants of Bangladesh with chemical constituents and uses., 2nd edn. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Ramna. 184.
- Subramoniam A., Gangaprasad A., Sureshkumar P.K., Radhika J. and Arun B.K. (2013)., A novel aphrodisiac compound from an orchid that activates nitric oxide synthases., International Journal of Impotence Research, doi:10.1038/ijir.2013.18.
- Dwivedi S. (2013)., Pers. Comm. Folk Lore Uses of Some Plants by the Tribes of Madhya Pradesh with special reference to their Conservation., Ethnobotanical Leaflets, 12, 763-771.
- Mujaffar a1 S., Shakun Mishrab, Deodab V.S., Moinuddinb S. and Mustakimb S. (2013)., Orchid species diversity of east nimar, Madhya Pradesh, India., International journal of plant, animal and environment science, 3(4).
- Mishra S. (2004)., Orchids of Orissa., Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, 23-A, New Connaught Place, Dehra Dun, India. Misra S.: Orchids of Orissa. Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh. Dehra Dun. orchid.
- Jayaweera DMA (1981)., Orchidaceae. In: Dassanayake, M.D. (ed.)., A Revised Handbook to the Flora of Ceylon 2, 4-386. Rotterdam. Jayaweera, D.M.A. (1981). Orchidaceae. In: M.D. Dassanayake and F.R. Fosberg (eds.), A revised handbook to the Flora of Ceylon, 2. 4–386. Amerind Publishing Co., New Delhi.
- Bindiya Prakash, Shagufta Khan and Ritu Thakur Bais (2012). Effect of different media on In-vitro seed germination and protocorm formation of Vanda tessellate (Roxb.) Hook. ex. G. Don an endangered medicinal orchid, researcher, 4(12), http://www.sciencepub.net /researcher., undefined, undefined
- Bindiya P., Ritu T.B., Prathibha S. and Shagufta K. (2013)., Effect of different pH on In vitro Seed Germination of Vanda tessellata (Roxb.) Hook. ex. G an endangered medicinal orchid., Advances in Life Science and Technology, 8. www.iiste.org .
- Huda M.K., Rahman M.A. and Wilcock C.C. (1999)., A preliminary checklist of orchid taxa occurring in Bangladesh., Bangladesh Journal of Plant Taxonomy. 6. 69-85.
- IUCN (2007)., Sri Lanka and Ministry of Environmental and Natural Resources., The 2007 Red List of Threatened Fauna and Flora of Sri Lanka. Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- IUCN (2014)., The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species., Version: 1. Available at: www.iucnredlist.org. (Accessed: 12 June 2014).
- The IUCN (2014)., Red List of Threatened Species: Vanda tessellata., undefined
- WCSP (2015)., World Checklist of Selected Plant Families., http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/prepareChecklist.do;jsessionid=57925B7D8D35885175BA8581F201833A?checklist=selected_families%40%40111200420161438724