Lead-induced Oxidative Stress and Metabolic Alteration in Seedlings of Brassica juncea L.
- 1Department of Post-Graduate Studies and Research in Botany, Gulbarga University, Gulabarga, 585106, Karnataka, India
- 2Department of Post-Graduate Studies and Research in Botany, Gulbarga University, Gulabarga, 585106, Karnataka, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 37-41, March,22 (2016)
The present study was conducted to assess lead toxicity causes metabolic alteration and oxidative stress in seedlings of Brassica juncea L. by petri-dish experiment. Surface sterilized seeds were germinated with graded concentrations (10, 20, 30 and 40 mM) of lead nitrate in petriplates lined with Whatman no.1 filter paper. Lead stress resulted, a uniform decrease in germination (100-10%), biomass (0.59-0.08mg/fw and 0.05-0.01mg/dw), root (7.20-0.61cm) and shoot (8.12-1.15cm) elongation with increasing concentrations marked as the primary signs of lead injury. An increasing concentration of lead treatment showed a uniform decrease in chlorophylls (16.94-6.10mg/gm) and &
- Khan S, Farooq R, Shahbaz S, Khan MA and Sadique M. (2009)., Health risk assessment of heavy metals for population via consumption of vegetable., World Applied Sciences Journal, 6, 1602-1606.
- Pang X, Wang D.H, Xing X.Y, Peng A., Zhang F.S. and Li C.J. (2002)., Effect of La3 on the activities of antioxidant enzyme in wheat seedling under lead stress in solution culture., Chemosphere, 47, 1033-1039.
- Lin C.J., Liu L., Liu T., Zhu L., Sheng D. and Wang D. (2009)., Soil amendment application frequency contributes to phytoextraction of lead by sunflower at different nutrient levels., Environment Expremental Botany, 65, 410-416.
- Estrella Gomez N., Mendoza Cozatl D., Moreno Sanchez R., Gonzalez Mendoza D., Zapata Perez O., Martinez Hernandez A. and Santamaria J.M. (2009)., The Pb-hyperaccumulator aquatic fern salvinia minima baker, responds to Pb2+ by increasing phytochelatins via changes in smpcs expression and in phytochelatin synthase activity., Aquatic Toxicology 91, 320-328.
- Johnson M.S. and Eaton J.W. (1980)., Environmental contamination through residual trace metal dispersal from a derelict lead-zinc mine., J. Environ. Qual., (9), 175-79.
- Sharma P. and Duby R.S. (2005)., Lead toxicity in plants., Brazil J. Plant Physiol., (17), 35-52.
- Srinivasan Malar, Sahi Shivendra Vikram, Paulo J.C Favas and Venkatachalam Perumal (2014)., Lead heavy metal toxicity induces changes on growth and antioxidative enzymes level in water hyacinths (Echhornia crassipes (Mart.)., Botanical Studies, 55(1), 54, 1-11.
- Ruley A.T. (2004)., Effects of accumulation of lead and synthetic chelators on the physiology and biochemistry of Sesbania drummondii., Western Kentucky University, USA, MS thesis. http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/theses/ 513
- Zhang F.Q., Wang Y.S., Lou Z.P. and Dong J.D. (2007)., Effect of heavy metal stress on antioxidative enzymes and lipid peroxidation in leaves and roots of two mangrove plant seedlings (Kandelia candel and Bruguiera gymnorrhiza)., Chemosphere, 67, 44–50.
- Jiang N., Luo X., Zeng J., Yang Z.R, Zheng L.N. and Wang S.T. (2010)., Lead toxicity induced growth and antioxidant responses in Luffa cylindrica seedlings., Inter J Agric Biol, 12, 205–210.
- Wozny A. and Jerezynska E. (1991)., The effect of lead on early stages of Phaseolus vulgaries L. growth in in vitro conditions., Biol. Plant. (33), 32-34.
- Jallaluddin M. Ashraf, Pankaj K. Mishra, Umesh kumar, Meetu chaudry and Veeru Prakash (1991)., Lead toxicity causes oxidative damage and alterations in antioxidant systems in Cicer aerietinum., Plant physiol biochem. (14), 194-199.
- Arleta Malecka, Wieslawa, Jarmus zkiewicz and Barbara Tomaszewska (2001)., Antioxidative defence to lead stress in subcellular compartments of pea root cells., Acta Biochimica Polonica., (48), 687-698.
- Nadjet Biteur, Abdelkader Aoues, Omar Kharoubi and Miloud Slimani (2011)., Oxidative Stress Induction by Lead in Leaves of Radish (Raphanus sativus) Seedlings., Biteur N. et al. / Not Sci Biol, 3(4), 93-99.
- Santilata Sahoo, Sujata Mohanty, Soumitri Rout and Satyajit Kanungo (2014)., The effect of lead toxicity on growth and antioxidant enzyme expression of Abutilon indicum L., Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 7(2), 134-138.
- Verma S. and Dubey R.S. (2000)., Lead toxicity induces lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in growing rice plants., Plant Sci., (164), 645-655.
- Arnon D.I. (1949)., Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol., (24), 1-15., undefined
- Jensen A. and Cragie J.S. (1978)., Chlorophylls and carotenoids. In hellebust. A (eds)., Hand book of phytological methods. Cambridge Uni. Press. London, 59-70.
- Bates L.S., Waldram R.P. and Teare I.D. (1973)., Rapid determination of free proline for water., Plant Soil, (39), 205 -208.
- Sagisaka S. (1976)., The occurrence of peroxide in a perennial plant Populs gelrica., Plant Physiol. (57), 308-309.
- Heath R.L. and Packer K. (1968)., Leaf Senescence correlated with increased levels of membrane permeability and lipid peroxidation and decreased levels of superoxide dismutase and Catalase., J. Exp. Bot., (32), 93–101.
- Klein B.P. and Perry A.K. (1982)., Ascorbic acid and vitamin A. activity in selected vegetables from different geographical areas of the United States., J. Food Sci., (47), 941- 943.
- Griffith O.W. (1930)., Determination of glutathione and glutathione disulpide using glutathione reductase and 2- vinylpyridine., Anal. Biochem. (106), 207-221.
- Malick C.P. and Singh M.B. (1980)., In plant enzymology and Histo enzymology., Kalyani Publishers New Delhi.
- Teranishi Y., Tanaka A., Osumi M. and Fukui S. (1974)., Catalse activity of hydrocarbon utilizing Canada yeast., Agric. Biol. Chem. (38), 1213-1216.
- Dhindsa R.S., Plumb Dhindsa P. and Thorpe P.A. (1981)., Leaf senescence: correlated with increased levels of membrane permeability and lipid peroxidation and decreased levels of superoxide dismutase and catalase., J. Expt. Bot., (32), 93-101.
- Foyer C. and Halliwell B. (1976)., The presence of glutathione and glutathione reductase in chloroplast: A proposed role in ascrobic acid metabolis., Planta, (133), 21-25.
- Rakesh Singh Sengar, Madhu Gautam, Sanjay Kumar Garg, Reshu Chaudhary and Kalpana Sengar (2008)., Effect of Lead on Seed Germination, Seedling Growth, Chlorophyll Content and Nitrate Reductase Activity in Mung Bean (Vigna radiata)., Research Journal of Phytochemistry, 2: 61-68.
- Muhammad Shafiq, Iqbal M. Zafar and Mohammad Athar (2008)., Effect of lead and cadmium on germination and seedling growth of Leucaena leucocephala., J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage. 12(2), 61–66.
- Verma Shalini and Dubey R.S. (2003)., Lead toxicity induces lipid peroxidation and alters the activities of antioxidant enzymes in growing rice plants., Plant Science, 164, 645-/655, (2003).
- Lerda D (1992)., The effect of lead on Allium cepa L., Mutation Res. 231, 80-92.
- Kumar G., Singh R.P and Sushila (1992)., Nitrate assimilation and biomass production in Seamum indicum (L) seedling in enriched environment., Water Air Soil Pollut. (215), 124-215.
- Panda S.K. and Patra H.K. (2000)., Does chromium (III) produce oxidative stress in excised wheat leaves., J. Plant Biol. (27), 105-110.
- Moustakas M., Lanaras T. and Karatagails S. (1997)., Growth and some photosynthetic characteristics of field grown Avina sativa L. under copper and lead stress., Photosynthetica, (30), 45-47.
- Panda S.K. and Khan M.H. (2003)., Antioxidant efficiency in rice (Oryza sativa L.) leaves under heavy metal toxicity., J. Plant Physiol. (30), 23-29.
- Malecka A., Jarmuszkiewicz W. and Tomaszewska B. (2001)., Antioxidative defense to lead stress in subcellular compartments of pea root cells., Acta Biochim. Polon. 48, 687-698.
- Panda S.K., Singha L.B. and Khan M.H. (2003)., Does Aluminium phytotoxicity induce oxidative stress in Green gram (Vigna Radiata)., Bulg. J. Plant Physiol., 29(1–2), 77–86.
- Mohd Hafiz Ibrahim, Hawa Z.E. Jaafar, Asmah Rahmat and Zaharah Abdul Rahman (2012)., Involvement of Nitrogen on Flavonoids, Glutathione, Anthocyanin, Ascorbic Acid and Antioxidant Activities of Malaysian Medicinal Plant Labisia pumila Blume (Kacip Fatimah)., Int J Mol Sci., 13(1), 393–408.
- Subramanium D. (1998)., Effect of aluminium on growth, lipid peroxidation, Superoxide desmutase and peroxidase activities in rice bean and French bean seedlings., Indian J. Plant Physiol., (3), 240-242.
- Panda S.K., Choudhury I and Khan M.H. (2003)., Heavy metals induce lipid peroxidation and effect an antioxidants in wheat leaves., Biol. Plant., (46), 289-249.