Studies on the Antioxidative stress responses of fungicides carbendazim and mancozeb in seedlings of brassica (Brassica compestrisL.)
- 1Post-Graduate Department of Biotechnology, Lyallpur Khalsa College, GT Road, Jalandhar-144001 Punjab, India
- 2Post-Graduate Department of Biotechnology, Lyallpur Khalsa College, GT Road, Jalandhar-144001 Punjab, India
Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 57-62, February,22 (2016)
The present study is an attempt to understand the effect of different concentrations of fungicides-carbendazim and mancozeb on the various antioxidative enzymes in developing seedling of brassica. Seeds were treated with different conc. (0.01-0.05%) of fungicides for 3 hours and then allowed to grow for 10 days in an incubated chamber. Treatment of fungicides triggered a defence machanism of various antioxidative enzymes viz. ascorbate perosidase, guaiacol peroxidase, catalase and superoxide dismutase and it was observed that the level of catalase and peroxidase decreased at higher conc of fungicides as compared to control samples. Mancozeb treatment, however showed an increase in the conc of catalase activity. An overall increase in the activity of superoxide dismutase was observed in samples treated with carbendazim, mancozeb individually as well as in combination thus suggesting that plant induces various antioxidative enzymes as protective defence mechanism against fungicide stress. These results indicate that the application of fungicide singaly or in combination in brassica seedlingsis deleterious at higher dosages and should be used judiciously in current agriculture.
- Van-Iersel M.V. and Bugbee B. (1996)., Phytotoxiceffects of benzimidazole fungicides on bedding plants, JAm SocHort Sci., 121(6), 1095–1102.
- Petit A., Fontaine F., Vatsa P., Cle´ment C. and VaillantGaveauN. (2012)., Fungicide impacts on photosynthesisin crop plants, Photosynth Res., 111(3), 1315–1326.
- Saladin G., Magne´ C. and Cle´ment C. (2003)., Physiological stress responses of Vitisvinifera L. to thefungicides fludioxonil and pyrimethanil, Pest ManagSci., 77(3), 125-137.
- Wu Y.X. and Von-Tiedemann A. (2002)., Impact offungicides on active oxygen species and antioxidantenzymes in spring barley (Hordeum vulgare L) exposedto ozone, Env Poll., 116(1), 37-47.
- Dias M.C. (2012)., Phytotoxicity an overview of thephysiological responses of plants exposed to fungicides, J Bot., 2012, (Article ID 135479)doi101155/2012/135479.
- Garcia P.C., Rivero R.M., Ruiz J.M., and Romero L.(2003)., The Role of Fungicides in the Physiology ofHigher Plants Implications for Defense Responses, TheBotanical Rev., 69(2), 162–172.
- Alrajhi A.M.H. (2014), Effects of Amistar and DithaneM-45 a systemic fungicide on growth parameters andantioxidative enzymes of Maize (Zea mays L), Res Rev J Bot Sci., 3(4), 13-19.
- Shekhawat K, Rathore S.S, Premi O.P, Kandpal B.K andChauhan J.S. (2012), Advances in AgronomicManagement of Indian Mustard (Brassica juncea (L)CzernjCosson) An Overview., Int J Agron., 2012, ArticleID 408284doi101155/2012/408284.
- Nakano Y. and Asada K. (1981)., Hydrogen peroxide isscavenged by ascorbate- specific peroxidase in spinachchloroplast, Plant Cell Physiol, 22(5), 867-880.
- Egley G.H., Paul R.N Jr., Vaughn K.C. and Duke S.O.(1983)., Role of peroxidase in the development of waterimpermeableseed coats in Sidaspinosa L, Planta.,157(3), 224-232.
- Aebi H. (1984)., Catalase in vitro, Method Enzymol., 105,121-126.
- Roth E.F Jr. and Gilbert H.S. (1984)., Pyrogallol assay forSOD absence of a glutathione artifact, Anal Biochem.,137(1), 50–53.
- Ashrafi M.A. and Pandit G.K. (2014)., Effect ofcarbofuran on the formation of some biomolecules inBrinjal (Solanum MelongenaL) leaf., The Bioscan., 9(3),959-963.
- Asada K. (1992)., Ascorbate peroxidise A hydrogenperoxide scavenging enzyme in plants., Physiol Plant.,85(2), 235-241.
- Gara L.D., Depindo M.C. and Tommasi F. (2003)., Theantioxidant system vis-à-vis reactive oxygen speciesduring plant pathogen interaction, Plant PhysiolBiochem., 41(10), 863-870.
- Mustapha Y., Réda D.M., Houria B. and Nacira H.(2009)., Effects of artea a systemic fungicide on theantioxidant system and the respiratory activity of durumwheat (Triticum durum L), African J Biotech., 8(17),4128-4130.
- Horotan A. and Oancea S. (2013)., Effects of fungicideand acetylsalicylic acid treatments on the physiologicaland enzymatic activity in tomato (LycopersiconEsculentum Mill), ActaUniversitatisCibiniensis Series E:Food Tech., 17(1), 13-26.
- Rabert G.A., Rajasekar M., Manivannan P., RamamurthyS. and Panneerselvam R. (2013)., Effect of triazolefungicide on biochemical and antioxidant enzymesactivity in Okra (Abelmoschus Esculentus L) plant underdrought stress, Int J Agri Food Sci., 3(3), 100-107.